Want to unroot my s3 through use of odin please help

ponchonutty

Reaction score
As the title says.... I rooted this thing thinking I would be using it as a wireless hotspot for my laptop but it didn't really work well because I basically have piss poor cell coverage. Then I started getting the auto update messages and obviously it won't let me update as it being rooted. To make matters worse, I had taken it to the local Sprint store because I was thinking the poor cell coverage could be something with the phone itself but they must have done something to it. Now, it won't update ANYTHING including new apps and such. Anyways, I still have the Odin 3.04 on my computer and know enough to be dangerous with these things lol. Can someone help point me into the directions I need to be??? THX!

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Just a few things, but have you tried a factory reset? This can occasionally solve all of life's problems, even if you're rooted. Also in my case I used to not be able to update OTA, so I manually installed the update from two OTA's ago and was able to download the last one without any issues.

Unrooting the S3 is a bit more complicated because you also HAVE to reset the counter so it doesn't show up as "Custom" when you boot the phone. bwen's link is a step by step guide to unrooting it, but it's wording is a bit complicated. Just Google search XDA gs3 unroot and click the first option. Unrooted my last phone no problems.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Just a few things, but have you tried a factory reset? This can occasionally solve all of life's problems, even if you're rooted. Also in my case I used to not be able to update OTA, so I manually installed the update from two OTA's ago and was able to download the last one without any issues.

Unrooting the S3 is a bit more complicated because you also HAVE to reset the counter so it doesn't show up as "Custom" when you boot the phone. bwen's link is a step by step guide to unrooting it, but it's wording is a bit complicated. Just Google search XDA gs3 unroot and click the first option. Unrooted my last phone no problems.

ponchonutty got it done in the other thread with minimal issue, if you read up from my post there.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
No doubt it's got all the steps, but it looks like he actually had a lot of questions and a few trouble spots. The OP is welcome to try or even compare both and see what works best for them, they both lead to the same place. I've just always found XDA to be a bit more novice friendly when it comes to stuff like this. Also TONS of extremely knowledgeable users, as opposed to here which only has a good handful.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Just Google search XDA gs3 unroot and click the first option. Unrooted my last phone no problems.

actually, if you look at the bottom of the tutorial i provided, there is a link to this very post.

the biggest problems come from people not reading before they try things. i provided links to videos if they wanted to use them.

OP
P

ponchonutty

Reaction score
Yup, bwen was a big help. I ask a lot of questions lol. What I wasn't totally sure of was step #7 of why you ignore bc, and d if they are not present. I found the pit. file but none of the others. I also think I spent too much time screwing around before I got things rolling. I rebooted the phone back into the download menu then everything went as needed. Phone works flawlessly now. Only thing I would like to do now is be able to reset the counter.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Yup, bwen was a big help. I ask a lot of questions lol. What I wasn't totally sure of was step #7 of why you ignore bc, and d if they are not present. I found the pit. file but none of the others. I also think I spent too much time screwing around before I got things rolling. I rebooted the phone back into the download menu then everything went as needed. Phone works flawlessly now. Only thing I would like to do now is be able to reset the counter.

the "pit" file is a partitioning file, in some situations you need that to fix your phone. i cant list exact scenarios, other than to say, if something you did to the phone messed up the partitions it usually wont flash. this file fixes that for you.
as for the other files, i have never had or used them. that was part of the original tutorial i modified, but never having this phone i thought it was prudent to leave those comments there encase the situation warranted using them.

to reset the counter, you need to use that triangle app mentioned in the other thread.