Want to try Theming

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by reichbc, Apr 11, 2011.

1. reichbc

reichbc New Member

So i asked this question in the ROMS section and i was directed here.

First, I have a droid 2, so if there are answers specific to the D2, that's what I'm looking for.

I've tried looking for different ways to theme things myself, but I believe the first thing I have a problem with is taking the APKs apart. This is where I'm coming to the guys who know their stuff, asking a couple questions.

What programs are you using to take apart and theme all these programs, ROMs, etc, and is it windows or linux based? Is it as simple as replacing an image file within the package?

I'm eager to give this a go - i don't want to bother someone asking for a theme tailored just to what I want, as my preferences change rapidly and I would constantly be coming back.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all replies.
  2. mforrest

mforrest New Member

I have recently started theming as well. While there are tons of threads to pick thru and glean information from, I found that I still was missing something, and getting error messages. Fortunately a couple other themers took me under their wing, so to speak and showed me some basics. (Super cool thing about this forum site)

Basically, if your only looking to change the icons ( what the phone, messaging, calculator icons, and so on,look like then you only need two programs. Download and instal 7zip and either paint.net or Gimp (similar to paint)
    .. then you can use 7zip to browse the framework-res file .. go into drawable-hdpi and swap out which ever images you want, using paint.net or Gimp to edit the images.

You can easily modify the. PNG images this way. .XML files are a different beast. I am still learning to for that.

If I only confused you more, PM me and ill walk you thru it.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums