Want to run ROM, looking for help first.

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by SHAK3R, Feb 27, 2011.

1. SHAK3R

SHAK3R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whats up all. Still kinda new to the root, rom etc... schene. I have, yet, even more questions.

Currently on UD 3.0.1, I apologize before hand if I missed any answers already related to my questions.

While reading through the PE v5 thread I kept hearing about RZ Recovery, this kernel that kernel.

Do I need to install a new kernel after I install PE v5? If so please direct me to a good guide??

Do I need to use RZ Recovery or can I continue to use Clockwork?? If I need RZ please direct me to a good guide??

Lastly (For now :) ) What and when do I need to rename the rom .zip files or any .zip file to update.zip and also when does it need to be put into the root.

Thank you to everyone in the forum who has been helping me thus far. Also I didn't know where else to post this as some of my questions directly pertained to PE v5 and some didn't.

SHAK3R

2. EbE404

EbE404 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, SHAK3R

You can find complete and very detailed instructions on installing PE here:

Project Elite

This covers installation using RZR as well as Clockwork, and also has brilliant instructions on using Titanium Backup (often abbreviated here as TiBu) for apps and data, so it should cover the whole process for you. To your other questions:

PE will install a new kernel for you, so you do not need to. If you want to try others, the flashing process is the same as flashing a ROM-place the zip on your SD card and use recovery to install.

See the post I link to above. You can use either one, and instructions for each are included.

If using Clockwork, you do not need to rename the file at all. Simply download the file to your SD and proceed. Obviously, this needs to be done before you flash the ROM, so this should be done before anything else.

One final note-make SURE you create a nandroid backup of your current ROM and settings using recovery before flashing the new ROM. Instructions on that are also included in the post.

3. SHAK3R

SHAK3R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet thanks for the input.

Also, do I need to create a nandroid backup everytime I flash a rom, or anything for that matter? I have already created one. I created the nandroid back up right after I rooted my phone with no roms or anything installed, just rooted.

Lastly after I created the backup I looked for it in a file explorer and it isn't in a .zip. Do need to .zip it up cause its currently in a folder (That I named "original") with a few other sub folders.

Just making sure I at least did it right.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

4. doublea500

doublea500 Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    you should use rom manager if your just starting out with this stuff. it really helps. i still use it and ive been flashing for months and months.rom manager can flash and wipe roms for you, and it is great for making backups. with the backup thing, it really depends on your opinion. for me, i dont make a backup everytime i flash something. for example there is another rom cyanogen and they release nightly roms meaning a new rom is released every night. i may make a backup every 2 or 3 roms for that. with pe5, id make a backup before i flash it. make sure you save the backups in 2 spots (i do sd card and cpu internal hard drive. id do external hard drive if i had one) and dont touch the backups, you do not want to have a broken backup. if i was flashing a theme, i would make a backup before because if the theme were broken or if i didnt like it then i can restore the backup before the theme. hope my experiences help ya.

5. EbE404

EbE404 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ALWAYS create a nandroid backup any time you do anything significant to your phone, like flashing a ROM, kernel or theme. There is no such thing as baking up too often.

When you create a nandroid, it will be in the SD root in a folder called nandroid. Do not modify this folder or these files in any way. If you have changed the name, of the folder, change it back, and do not modify the file extensions. nandroids are installed, created and recovered differently that the .zip files that are used for ROMS. Unless you are an advanced user, these should just be left alone.

Also, remember that nandroids are exclusive to the recovery that created them, so if you change to a different recovery, you will not be able to restore nandroids created by a different recovery. For my part, I normally use CW, but when I am doing something really substantial, like changing a complete ROM, I will create one in both CWR and SPR. Haven't tied RZR as of yet.

6. joeyx2

joeyx2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RZR is awesome, it is like SPR but has all the features of CWR plus more and with RZR u can restore backups from CWR(not to sure about SPR). I will never go back to CWR again, RZR is much better. Even if CWR actually even let me reboot to recovery without giving me errors and I would have to just keep trying till it finally worked, I would not go back.

7. SHAK3R

SHAK3R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please try and explain to me what I'm doing wrong.

Everything works great. Rom is running and when I go to restore my apps from TitBu the apps are grayed out with a line through it. When I went from UD2.5 to UD3.0.1 it did the same thing.

I even used the guide in the link above, although the make a square at the google sign in screen didn't work.

#7 SHAK3R, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  8. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I can never get the square at login to work, I always end up hitting one of the buttons (emergency call or change language). If you click the android, the next step asks you to sign in, the way I've done it before is hit the "skip" option that screen, it's done the same thing for me. PE comes preloaded with TiBu, so once your to the home screen (not signed in), you can go and batch the apps back on to your phone.

And the grayed + strikethru list of apps hasn't made a difference, I've taken it as those apps currently don't exist on my phone.They will install for you, just be sure to follow GLD's instructions on that linked page. If someone has a different explanation please correct me.

9. SHAK3R

SHAK3R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I haven't bought the pay version of TitBu yet. Would that be the reason?

Because all of my apps are grayed out with the strike and my only option is to uninstall. Even when I select the file by itself.

10. SHAK3R

SHAK3R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the bump but I could really use a answer on the TitBu issue if possible thanks.

11. listenman20

listenman20 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

did you select to restore those apps batch?

12. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry dude... honestly I don't know the exact answer; I'm not sure if you would need to buy the pro version in order to do that, I'm pretty sure pro just gives you more backups or what.. anyone know?? And did you do what listenman asked bout?