Want to root droid 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by drpaul07, Jul 25, 2010.

1. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a stock moto droid 2.1 and I want to root it in order to overclock and use root only apps.

Basically, all I want to do is gain root access to droid 2.1. Nothing more. I'm not really interested in installing custom roms and getting froyo and all that cuz i'm pretty happy with my setup and don't really feel like I need anymore customization. However, there are apps like LED hack and those quick cache clearing apps that i'd really like. Plus, since the PSX4Droid emulator just came out (in case you didn't know, its in the market now!!), I want to OC my droid to 1GHz to see if that will improve performace.

Can someone please explain how to go about doing that? I've read about installing SPRecovery, but it seems that that doesn't give you root, and just lets you install custom rooted froyo roms. Also, if i stay rooted with 2.1, i would need a kernel to overclock right? Where would i go to get that, and which one would i use?

Sorry for the long message. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Yeah you will want to flash the SPRecovery.sbf you were reading about, then installing an update.zip of 2.1 with root intact. How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid <-- something along those lines should get you where you want to go. You don't necessarily need to install busybox at the end either, but you can.

3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +230
    Follow the root unroot guide in my sig. You will flash sprecovery with rsd lite then you will have to flash a rooted rom. There are stock 2.1 rooted roms out there.
    For overclocking you will have to see what works best on your phone really. For some Chevyno1's kernels work great others need p3droids or others. Its kind of a trial and error process.

The process is pretty painless just make sure you read everything and understand what you're doing, ask questions before hand and if you get stuck there's lots of help around so don't be affraid.

Sent from my Droid using interplanetary communications that neither you or me could possibly understand. Cheers.

4. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your help. I read both your links and it helped me understand better. It seems straightforward enough. Just gotta install SPRecovery onto the phone using my laptop with rsd lite and then just flash a 2.1 rom with root.

One question:
    I downloaded the stock 2.1 w/ root file from jstafford1's sig and also the ESE81update.zip file from link #1 of his sig, and one of them is 15MB and the other is 137MB. Why is one so much larger than the other? Aren't they both pretty much the same thing? Thanks for your help again.

5. cupfulloflol

Ratings:
    +23
    The 15MB one was made for rooted 2.01 users to update to 2.1 while keeping root intact. This is actually the 2.1 OTA update, that has been modified to include the two files needed for root.

The 130MB one is stock 2.1 with root, to be installable from any ROM. So if you were on FROYO the 15MB one wouldn't cut it, you would need to use the 130MB one in order to go back to 2.1 with root.

The guide I linked uses a third one, which is ~500KB. This one just contains the two files you need to obtain root and busybox (gives you access to more console commands). This should work on any ROM (not sure if SuperUser.apk needs to be updated to work with Froyo), as all it does is put the SuperUser.apk in /system/app/ and put the Su file in /system/bin/, and puts busybox's install files in /system/busy/ .

6. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh ok. So which one should i use then if i'm running stock 2.1? The 130 MB one or the 500KB one from your link? I guess either one of them would end up with the same result correct?

Also, I'm not real familiar with busybox. I've gone through droid forums and blogs and i haven't come across people talking about buxybox a lot.

After i flash a 2.1 rom with root, then the superuser ninja will be in my app drawer right? Sorry just wanna make sure i do this right so i don't mess anything up.

7. cupfulloflol

Ratings:
    +23
    Yeah either the 130MB or the little one would be what you need, it doesn't really matter.

You shouldn't need busybox to do what you want to do. Some root application require some of the commands in busybox to function properly. Even if you use the little one, you don't have to install busybox, it will just be there. The steps to install busybox are after the download.

Yes after you apply either of those you will have the little ninja icon in your drawer. When you run something that requires root permissions you will get a popup asking you to allow, decline (and a check box to permanently allow it). So for example when you first run your Cachemate app, it will pop up. It will pop up for every app that needs root permissions. If you go into the SuperUser app (ninja icon), you can see what you have allowed and blocked, and change it if you need to (say you accidentally clicked block on an app you meant to click allow).

I recommend making a backup before you flash the kernel to overclock. Some kernels and voltages don't play nice with all phones. Backups are always a good thing anyhow.

8. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ohhh ok got it. Yeah i didn't understand the busy box and terminal emulator stuff all that well, but yeah it seems i don't need to do that part. I'll probably use the smaller update.zip cuz it seems to just add root to the 2.1 that i already have, as opposed to flashing an entire 2.1 rom with root in it (i don't know if that makes any sense lol but that my reasoning)

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully it all goes well.

9. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One more thing? So when i add root, all my files and apps and such will still be there correct?

10. cupfulloflol

Ratings:
    +23
    Yep neither should touch your data.

11. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome. Thanks for all your help!

12. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I flashed sprecovery with no problem. I'm making a backup before i flash the update.zip, but its been saying 'attempting nandroid backup' for about 15 minutes now. Does it normally take that long? Should i pull the battery and try it again?

13. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nevermind. It was hanging. I pulled the battery and tried it again and it worked.

14. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Cupfulloflol, i have one last question that i hope you can answer. So i got my rooted 2.1 droid with a 1GHz p3droid kernel thanks to you. Everything is working very nicely.

Also, i made a nandroid backup after i installed sprecovery and before i rooted. So if i decided to go back to unrooted (say to receive the 2.2 update whenever that comes), would all i have to do is restore that nandroid backup to return to unrooted form?