Want to root - Best way to restore all apps and their settings afterwards?

ck42

Reaction score
So I'm wanting to root my GN for a couple of specific reasons, but I'm not sure about having my phone wiped clean and starting over.
I've just now got everything setup and tweaked the way I like it and do NOT want to have to manually go through all that again.

So...what is the best/least painful way of rooting and then getting my GN back to its previous configuration state (apps installed, all app's configurations, contacts, etc, etc) ?
Essentially I want to have my phone rooted and nothing else changed....I just want to be able to run a few specific apps that require root access.

OP
C

ck42

Reaction score
You might want to look into this app. I have the Pro-version on my rooted phone, but it works on non-rooted phone as well (so the description says). It can backup/restore call logs, contacts, SMS/MMS, apps + data (i.e., configuration), etc.

https://market.android.com/details?...sImNvbS5yZXJ3YXJlLmFuZHJvaWQuTXlCYWNrdXAiXQ..

So, I do already have Tit Backup Pro/Root, but like was mentioned, you need root first (catch 22).

So, I now also have My Backup Pro. Question though. After I backup my apps and data and then root the phone, the SD card backup information gets wiped too. So I either need to back the info online (takes HUGE amount to time to backup!!) or I hope that I can USB mount the GN and copy off the Backup Pro's backup files. Can you verify if this is possible or not....or supported? (copy it back to the GN after rooting and re-installing My Backup Pro first, of course).

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
still gotta remember its not gonna do app data:

Users who have a rooted phone: You can backup apk+data as well as market links!

quinolin

Reaction score
So, I do already have Tit Backup Pro/Root, but like was mentioned, you need root first (catch 22).

So, I now also have My Backup Pro. Question though. After I backup my apps and data and then root the phone, the SD card backup information gets wiped too. So I either need to back the info online (takes HUGE amount to time to backup!!) or I hope that I can USB mount the GN and copy off the Backup Pro's backup files. Can you verify if this is possible or not....or supported? (copy it back to the GN after rooting and re-installing My Backup Pro first, of course).
Haven't tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to copy the backup files from SD to your PC. MyBackup keeps all files in a sub-folder on SD card (/rerware). Just copy that folder and put everything back to restore after rooting.

OP
C

ck42

Reaction score
still gotta remember its not gonna do app data:

Users who have a rooted phone: You can backup apk+data as well as market links!

Will My Backup Pro at least backup the ICS system settings, Nova launcher settings?

Losing the app settings would still be a pain, but I need to at least know exactly how far MBP will take me. (If I had known all this earlier, I would've rooted the phone before getting everything setup :( )

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

sd card does not get wiped when wiping phones. thats /data and the cache. you can take the backup folder from the sdcard to your pc, too if you wanted.

even though the GN doesn't have a SDcard, theres still a virtual one that doesn't get touched when wiping for ROMs.

MyBackup and TiBu are really similar ( i have both) but I just like the options TiBu gives me. Contacts should be restored with your google account.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Will My Backup Pro at least backup the ICS system settings, Nova launcher settings?

Losing the app settings would still be a pain, but I need to at least know exactly how far MBP will take me. (If I had known all this earlier, I would've rooted the phone before getting everything setup :( )

not the launcher since that would be considered part of the data. some launchers allow backups to be made within the settings (i use ADW, it does that) but that would be ur only option pre-root

not sure about settings, haven't used it in a while. but reading the market description, it says it does. the only thing here is that its NOT recommended restoring system settings across ROMs (assuming ur gonna put a ROM on) because itll cause issues. if you're just going after root, i dont see why it would hurt anything.

OP
C

ck42

Reaction score
sd card does not get wiped when wiping phones. thats /data and the cache. you can take the backup folder from the sdcard to your pc, too if you wanted.

even though the GN doesn't have a SDcard, theres still a virtual one that doesn't get touched when wiping for ROMs.

MyBackup and TiBu are really similar ( i have both) but I just like the options TiBu gives me. Contacts should be restored with your google account.

Okay...so the virt SD card doesn't get wiped...only the /data and cache.
When you say that I can take the backup folder from the GN and copy to a PC, do you mean the backup folder that would be created by My Backup Pro?

After going through this process and rooting - and then reinstalling MBP - and then copying the /backup folder back to the GN and restoring it using MBP (and restoring apps via MBP), exactly what would I then be missing? What settings? Would my system settings be restored? (Seems to indicate this would be) Would Nova settings be restored?

The other PITA apps to setup are my two email clients. One for work and one personal. Looks like I can perform config backups for each of these and then manually copy off the config to the PC and then restore later.

That is the really nice thing about TitBu....lets us backup ALL this about a dozen different ways! Another reason I want to get this thing rooted!!

Oh, and no....no custom ROMs for now. Just want root. :)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ya it's one of the reasons i root right away is to get app data onto my new phone.

yes, the app MBP will make a folder on the sdcard that you can put on your PC for safekeeping.

i can't tell you exactly what MBP will backup without root, but there is a 30day trial one on the market. nova is an app, so probably no settings for that, unless it has a backup option in the app.

with a restore, all your apps will be put back, but they will be in the state when you first downloaded them from the market - no personal data /settings.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay...so the virt SD card doesn't get wiped...only the /data and cache.

This is not true.

I'm assuming since you're looking to root, you'll also need to unlock your phone first, unless you've already done this.

When you unlock your Nexus it will wipe everthing, including the contents of your sd card folder. So transfer files accordingly. After your unlock, root, and install clockwork recovery your sd card will then be safe from wiping and flashing roms, just like a normal sd card.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is not true.

I'm assuming since you're looking to root, you'll also need to unlock your phone first, unless you've already done this.

When you unlock your Nexus it will wipe everthing, including the contents of your sd card folder. So transfer files accordingly. After your unlock, root, and install clockwork recovery your sd card will then be safe from wiping and flashing roms, just like a normal sd card.

yes unlocking the nexus will wipe/reset everything. i was referring to the RomManager wiping function. sorry for any discrepancies OP