Want to remove Facebook contacts--but HOW?

chrstdvd

Reaction score

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
DO NOT...I REPEAT DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE.

if you wish to remove your facebook contacts from your droid, follow these SIMPLE steps...
-press your menu button on the home screen
-select settings
-once in settings, select "accounts & sync"
-scroll down to "facebook" and select it
-select the "remove account" option
-YOUR FACEBOOK CONTACTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED!

~this does not remove the facebook app from your phone, it only removes contact information.

this is the correct way to remove the facebook contacts, its obviously clear that this forum is not reviewed by the administrators, for incorrect or misleading information.... hopefully i have saved a few people from doing the unthinkable and factory resetting their phone.... hope i helped whoever read this far into this forum.

~Bdearborn887
Let me make it obviously clear that the admins and staff don't know the answer to all questions, that is why there is the forum for others to add their ideas and suggestions.

droidpro.ms

Reaction score
Chrstdvd, you're right. I've been doing some research. It seems that with the first Droids, the sync options existed...but since the Droid 2 (or the later droids) that option has fallen through the cracks. When I go to the app with my Droid pro, I don't have any sync options. None exist on the phone for that app anywhere. Gmail & some other apps have that option, but not facebook. So, I still have the facebook app & use it, but I don't have my facebook added to my accounts on the phone. I just use the old-fashioned pictures in my gallery as contact pictures...and hope that facebook/motorola will fix this app in the near future.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
That is what I have done too. It works just fine. I sure do not want all my facebook contacts in my phone contacts.

Scoot95

Reaction score
DO NOT...I REPEAT DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE.

if you wish to remove your facebook contacts from your droid, follow these SIMPLE steps...
-press your menu button on the home screen
-select settings
-once in settings, select "accounts & sync"
-scroll down to "facebook" and select it
-select the "remove account" option
-YOUR FACEBOOK CONTACTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED!

~this does not remove the facebook app from your phone, it only removes contact information.

this is the correct way to remove the facebook contacts, its obviously clear that this forum is not reviewed by the administrators, for incorrect or misleading information.... hopefully i have saved a few people from doing the unthinkable and factory resetting their phone.... hope i helped whoever read this far into this forum.

~Bdearborn887

When I try this with my Droid X, I get the following message: "Error Removing Account - Your request was denied, please try again". Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how do I fix?

droidpro.ms

Reaction score
Hmm, Idk. Never experienced that. Maybe you could take it to a Verizon store (or where you got it) and ask...?

Mets12

Reaction score
Droid X Removal of Facebook Contacts!

After much searching and playing around with my X, I finally figured out a solution on how to remove the facebook contacts from droid x without just "hiding them" by showing a different display group. Here's what I did: 1. go to settings.
2. go to Applications / Manage Applications.
3. click on all apps (on the top tabs).
4. click on 'Contact Storage' app.
5.click on 'Clear Data'.

This should remove all of the contacts from your droid x. You may want to export all of your regular phone contacts to your sd card before you do this so you can import them when your done and not lose them.

jbdroidx

Reaction score
How to remove facebook contacts from droid x. SOLVED!!!

I know this thread is old but I wanted to post this fix I got for this issue. I got my Droidx a couple of months ago and I wanted to see if I can fix this without to much hastle. I contacted Motorola and spoke with tech support about my Droidx and they helped me step by step with my problem. Keep in mind that this will remove ALL of your Facebook contacts.

Here are the steps;
settings:applications:manage applications: at top click on "All" and scroll down to Accounts and click, then click on clear data.
Then go to My Account app and open it, click on Facebook account and then remove account.
Keep in mind it may take some time to remove all of the FB contacts, so be patient. Thanks and good luck!

alewis1210

Reaction score
Open contacts, select menu button, select accounts, select facebook, then remove account.
You will lose your facebook but then re-add the account but turn off the sync and don't sync with contacts. Hope this helps and is clear enough.

I went to my contacts and I dont see an option for "Menu"

Planet38

Reaction score
Smartphone? Really?

New to the Droid X, and there are some things I love, and some things that are truly frustrating. Like not being able to control what contacts are on the phone.

I have done all of the above and have the same problem as a prior poster - no social networking apps remain, but still have FB contacts that can not be deleted.

I should note that I did this a previous time and it worked, but silly me, I had to download the FB app for android and got all the contacts back when it synced. Then I tried to remove them using the dlete app, clear data steps, and now I have contacts that won't let me delete them unless I "remove this person from your friend lists on the following providers." but there are no FOLLOWING PROVIDERS listed because there are no social networking apps on the phone anymore.

So now I have these contacts that mean nothing to me, with no phone numbers or anything that is worthwhile, and I can't delete them.

Smartphone my @ss!

Planet38

Reaction score
Finally just cleared out all contacts data and started again.

Still, how smart can a phone be when it doesn't even have simple tools that a standard cell phone has - my RAZR V3 was easier to customize.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
how smart can a phone be when it doesn't even have simple tools that a standard cell phone has
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ made me laugh a little bit. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What phone do you have? If your trying to remove ALL of your FB contacts you have to logout/log back in and select sync none or uninstall the application/reinstall and select sync none.

"You cannot delete contacts from read-only accounts, but you can hide them in your contact lists" i'm sure you probably have seen that dialog already, right??

This isn't a phone or android OS issue, it's the way facebook works...

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Smartphone my @ss!

A smartphone is only as smart as the user. I'm not saying you arent "smart", but android does have a learning curve and isn't always the best choice unless your willing to take your time and get to know your device. After that, nothing beats Android.

If none of those steps worked for you then the only other choice would be factory reset/data wipe.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Here's what i did when this happened to me.
I have a d2g on stock 2.2
i noticed that i couldn't delete my fb friends contacts, but i could just hide them
just long press on the contact and a menu should come up and hide contact should be an option

dougdog76861

Reaction score
I have the droid 3 and cant figure out how to do this ?

I don't think you have the opition ?

Do you know how to do it on the droid 3 ?

any help would be great !

Open contacts, select menu button, select accounts, select facebook, then remove account.
You will lose your facebook but then re-add the account but turn off the sync and don't sync with contacts. Hope this helps and is clear enough.