Want to permanently kill the CDMA radio on a Droid1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by melvintmelvin, Apr 3, 2011.

1. melvintmelvin

melvintmelvin New Member

I have a droid 1 that is no longer tied to Verizon service.

I would like to make it into the Droid equivalent of an ipod touch, by permanently horking the CDMA radio. I want to use it in an area where there are no towers, and don't want the battery to die. Plus, since it will never be a phone again, I don't care about being able to restore the function.

I know I can put it in Airplane mode, but you can't re-activate bluetooth (unlike wifi).

I've used the *#*#4636#*#* method to disable the radio, but the setting is lost between reboots.

Thanks
  2. robpr26

robpr26 New Member

Hey there, recently I found myself in a similar situation. I bought a Thunderbolt but kept the D1 mainly to use it as a test device of sorts and also as a music player.
    What I did to disable the CDMA/EVDO radio was the following:
    I used Root Explorer to find the Phone and TelephonyProvider apks in system/apps and added '.bak' to both (Phone.apk.bak). That way you can rename them again if you ever need to. Then reboot and voila, no more mobile network. Hope it helps.
  3. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer Developer

yeah but im sure the phone will waste battery looking for telephonyprovider.. an even better technique would be to remove anything with "RIL" from library or bin... at least i think that would kill all connections besides wifi and bluetooth.
Search tags for this page

*#*#4636#*#* disable radio

android 4636 disable radio
android turn off cdma
cdma kill apk

disable cdma

disable cdma android

droid x2 disable radio permanent
htc incredible disabling cdma
mobilenetwork kill apk
permanently disable cdma radio droid