Want to learn how to write an application.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by baumel7, Dec 26, 2009.

1. baumel7

baumel7 New Member

I am hoping to learn how to write an application and I was wondering if anyone could push me in the right direction to do this. I have very little knowledge so I would need some sort of beginners tutorial I am assuming. Thanks.
  2. silverx10

silverx10 New Member

There are already threads on this particular subject, but that aside, I'd recommend the following three books (and in this order):

Amazon.com: Sams Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours (5th Edition) (9780672330766): Rogers Cadenhead: Books

Amazon.com: Hello, Android: Introducing Google's Mobile Development Platform (Pragmatic Programmers) (9781934356494): Burnette Ed: Books

Amazon.com: Professional Android Application Development (Wrox Programmer to Programmer) (9780470344712): Reto Meier: Books

The last book is out of date (it targets Android 1.0, I believe), but you can still learn from what it has to put out. As far as the other two, well... the first one is what I'd consider to be mandatory, simply because Android uses a Java VM (Virtual Machine) known as Dalvik to execute its applications.

That being said, it'd behoove you to learn the basics of Java.

And Hello, Android is the most up-to-date and newbie-friendly book I've found thus far.

As far as online resources, check out some of the other threads in the Development forum, there are some decent links. But in the end, you get what you pay for. And no one place seems to teach you everything you're gonna need.

Last but definitely not least, there's the Android SDK from Google that's pretty informative.
Search tags for this page

droid application development

how to learn application writing

how to write an app for droid

how to write apps for droid
i want to learn how to write application
learn application writing
learn how to write an application
learn how to write application
learn to write an application
learn to write application
learnaplicationriting