1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

want to know the true, life after getting rooted.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thinkmega, Jul 5, 2010.

1. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

Under "Droid Hacks" forum, there is a post concerned me a lot, see here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/51911-rooted-froyo-now-poor-service.html

I want to know from those brave, with 2.2 rooted phone in your hand, do you experience any issue after getting 2.2 root? Here are my questions:

1. If you OC the cpu, is the performance improved substantially? If so, in what sense?

2. Can you do usb tethering with frf84b build? Or you have to use frf57? Is the connection stay stable?

3. When you do wifi tethering, do you experience drop connection problem at all? Any security concern?

4. Do you experience any signal, call quality related problems? Please explain.

I would really appreciate your sharing of information, if possible.

J.
  2. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Moved to appropriate forum.
  3. rigualj

rigualj New Member

I just started rooting my phone about four weeks ago. I'm now addicted. I haven't come across any problems, but I'll answer your questions one by one.

1. There is a little bit of an improvement. I only overclock mine to 800mhz, cause I'm a wimp. I do notice a difference that is worth for me keeping in at 800mhz with a minimum of 250mhz. Once you root, and get an oc kernal, download setcpu. You need to buy it, but it's only a couple books. That program will allow you to adjust the speeds.

2. I don't do USB tethering. If you have root, you can do wifi tethering with a free app. I can't answer about usb tethering.

3. The only security concern is if you want to have an open wifi connection. You can secure it if you wish. I haven't noticed any drop connections.

4. No signal or call quality loss at all.
  4. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

Thank you.

What apps would benefit the most from OC? Do you use the phone to watch video or tv? Do you think that's why a faster cpu would help? or something else?

Thanks for your insights again.
  5. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

I forgot to ask, which ROM are you using? thx.
  6. gonnadie4thegov

gonnadie4thegov New Member

1. yes, phone is snappier and apps load alittle faster. Its a noticeable difference

2. you cannot do the built in usb tethering, period. Verizon does not offer a plan for it.

3. no and no, never had any problems other then the phone getting alittle hot after extended tethering

4. Nope phone calls and data work fine
  7. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

the OC really doesn't help with watching video off youtube or something, that's really dependent on your internet connection.. a stock droid can handle most any youtube video on wifi. where i really see the speed difference is in internet browsing, page loading speeds specifically. everything just happens faster, where as a video just kinda happens at the same rate since the stock droid is really quite good.
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

9. LittleCarp04

LittleCarp04 New Member

Hi, I haven't posted much since getting my Droid about a month ago. But today I decided to Root and put 2.2 on my phone and i am LOVING IT!

I am using ChevyNo1's 1ghz ULV kernel ( i think thats how it was typed out)
    Put BB v.04

Just from flashing the rom and installing that new kernel my quadrant went from about 330(ish) before root, to 1310.

I noticed a MUCH smoother overall performance from just browsing sites to messing with apps.

Ability to use Root only apps like setcpu to really give you control over how your device acts, and for me I've seen a large increase in battery life over stock.

Havent had any call quality or signal problems as of yet. But also havent tried anything with tethering yet (since I dont really have a need for it.. no laptop here)
  10. rigualj

rigualj New Member

I'm using simply stunning 4.3 with the theme. Just loading apps, scrolling, and loading the home screen all seem to be a little bit more snappier.

I do use my phone to watch movies that I convert using hand brake. The videos played fine before. I do feel that the video player loads faster, and you can jump to different chapters on the movie with less lag.
  11. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

for your first question i have been running my pjoe at 600 mhz all the time now and it is SO much faster than 2.1 was at 1 ghz

and for your other questions i cant answer them as i dont/cant tether and have no service on my phone
  12. takeshi

takeshi New Member

You should try to keep an eye on what things seem to be common problems. If you look for every single problem then you'll definitely never root. Heck, you probably wouldn't even buy a Droid if you took every single problem thread in General Discussion that way!

Not after rooting in and of itself. With ROM's -- especially experimental ROM's -- of course there are issues. That doesn't mean that there aren't fixes or workarounds though. Always backup so you can restore to a known good point.

Yes. Performance is improved anywhere where the CPU was formerly a bottleneck.

No. No. No more than I ever have security concerns with WiFi in general.

No. Not sure why an explanation is needed.

Keep in mind that one person's specific experience may or may not be relevant to your own. In other words, you can certainly have problems where others have had none and vice-versa.

Again, always backup!
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  13. durrell

durrell New Member

1. Yes. In some cases my phone is 5 or 10 seconds faster than my wife's non-rooted identical Droid.

2. Yes, my boss does it. I do Wireless Tethering, though. It's so much easier and works flawlessly using "Wireless Tether" from the market.

3. Not at all. I have connected 2 or 3 devices at a time and had great results. You can even set up MAC filtering or security. (At least in the Wireless Tether app.)

4. No, my 3G reception has stayed the same as non-rooted. I haven't messed with my baseband, though.

In my opinion, if you're comfortable with the process there is really no reason not to root. If you just REALLY don't like it, you can always revert back to stock easily.
  14. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

There is no Life after Root...only Droid
  15. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

Very good. Which sbf do you install? Any comment on the one released 6/28 or 29, aka, frf84b? thanks.
  16. durrell

durrell New Member

I just rooted my wife's Droid from 2.1 OTA to 2.2 FRF84b (Kangerade 4.0.7) by just flashing sprecovery and then loading a rooted ROM. Took less than 10 minutes.