1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Want to install MIUI on my Motorola Droid 1

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by DroidDude88, Apr 27, 2011.

1. DroidDude88

DroidDude88 New Member

I cant seem to get it installed, never installed a rom before, don't know how to do it. Tried using the ROM downloader program, but after it downloads it gets stuck at 100% for the google apps. Tried hard resetting the phone but when i go to where its supposed to extract the .zip, it says "no such file or directory" and cancells the update. How can I fix this? Could someone give me step by step instructions? Heard something about haveing to flash memory and or root the phone which makes me nervous, do those things HAVE to be done to put MIUI on my phone? I really like the look of it and want it on my phone. I'm new here so bear with me if I put this post in the wrong place.
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Do you mean Rom Manager? MIUI doesnt need a gapps download so I dono why it woul dbe downloading them?

I suggest just downloading the MIUI you want, either from Rom Manager or online, then flash it from recovery (after wiping data and cache a few good times). I am on an old MIUI now because gingerbread isnt quite there yet. I am on 1.3.5 because it works great and the time is not in military...
  3. DroidDude88

DroidDude88 New Member

I have rom manager installed but it keeps saying something about needing to root the phone before using rom manager. im uneasy about rooting the phone, does it have to be done to install miui?
  4. mjh68

mjh68 New Member

Yes, you need to root your phone before installing any custom rom. So you have Rom Manager installed , but have never rooted your phone ? If you are not rooted, I would read up on rooting on this website. If you are not sure or not savvy with using your computer and the rooting process I would wait until you know how to use ABD and what not or you might have a bad experience .
  5. DroidDude88

DroidDude88 New Member

will the phone be recoverable if i try to root it and something goes wrong? i hear that it will permanantly mess up your phone if something goes wrong.
  6. mjh68

mjh68 New Member

Theoretically yes you could " brick " your Droid , but it is pretty hard to do . Just go to the section on Hacking help, read the stickies and the sticky on how to SBF. If your comfortable after that, then Root away ! if not read a little more or talk to friends that have rooted if you know any.
  7. DroidDude88

DroidDude88 New Member

in the event I did "brick" my phone, is it fully recoverable if that did happen though?
  8. mjh68

mjh68 New Member

Not a true "brick" , but there are very few truly bricked droids. Most of the mistakes are recoverable, especially if you read the SBF thread under hacking help. It is the original motorola droid image that will fix all mistakes . I can't even tell you what would cause a true brick except I heard when you flash the SBF and something would interrupt the flash or you have a corrupted file that would make your phone unable to even load the boot loader.
    Otherwise , it is safe. There are hundreds of people rooted on this forum and I have only read a few threads of truly bricked phones. a true Brick is just that . Phone will not turn on or able to load the recovery. Any mistake , but you can still load the boot loader is not bricked .. so easily recovered.