1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Want to downgrade Superuser to 2.1 on FRG22

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MotoCache1, Aug 11, 2010.

1. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

I'm running the FRG22 leak and have the apparently-well-known issue with SetCPU not getting its root permissions during boot. Once everything is up, the profiles service asks for and receives root no trouble, but apparently there is a known bug with Superuser 2.2.x that it doesn't like SetCPU or vice versa and the solution is to downgrade to 2.1.

Problem is that I have SPRecovery on my Droid 1 (not Clockwork/ROM Manager) and all of the signed Superuser 2.1 zip files fail with "Installation aborted" for me. The file really is named update.zip (not update.zip.zip), and I've flashed plenty of things with SPRecovery before (including a couple/few ChevyNo1 kernel swaps earlier today) with no trouble at all.

I feel like I've done my due diligence and have Googled and searched here for several hours looking for reasons (other than silly .zip.zip ones) why I'd get "Installation aborted" in SPR and haven't found anything that helps. Heck, I'm tempted to just take the su and Superuser.apk files out of the Superuser-2.1-signed.zip file and manually put them in the right places using Root Explorer. If I weren't afraid of breaking the symbolic links or otherwise screwing it up that's what I'd do. I'm not a Linux guru but I'm semi-functional due to being an old school DOS guy.

Anyway, I figured rather than charging boldly forward and doing something that made me wish I'd asked for guidance first, I'd just ask for guidance first. I'm guessing that these zips are just not signed with a key that my SPRecovery likes or something and maybe I just need the right update.zip to downgrade my su/Superuser.apk to 2.1. Not sure at this point. Thanks in advance for any direction.

P.S. Over on XDA-Developers it looks like they've released a Superuser v.2.3 that is also supposed to fix the SetCPU issues. They have a signed .zip that is specifically for Eclair/Froyo but it too fails and says "Installation aborted". It might actually be a happy thing that it did because when I went to the last (most recent) pages of the topic it looked like lots of folks were having trouble with it.
  2. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer Developer

2 things

1) is there is an updte to set-cpu that fixes the superuser 2.2.2 problems.
    2) there is a newer 2.3 superuser that will be in the latest roms, UD will have it in next rom and CM has it in the nightly tonight im told.

so either option should work but easiest is just update your set-cpu.
  3. MotoCache1

Thanks for the reply Eagle. As I understand it, the bug is actually with superuser, not with SetCPU. It's just that SetCPU *uses* superuser differently than most apps do (during boot) and that's why SetCPU has trouble with it where most apps don't.

I've read plenty of others that have gone back to superuser 2.1 and the problem was fixed, and 2.3 was specifically written to correct this among other bugs.

The thing that is providing me the most confusion right now is the failure (refusal) of SPR to install any of the various update.zip files that are intended to install a particular version of superuser. I wasn't under the impression that the update.zip files were so particular that they'd work for say CM, but would abort for a more-or-less stock FRG22 -- especially for something pretty generic like superuser.

I'm not accustomed to being in the position of depending upon tools that I have no idea how they really work. I am a professional programmer but am pretty new to Android and just haven't had a chance to assimilate it all yet. I've grabbed the dev kit and have done some reading on jarsigner, etc. and about the techniques that are used to make signed packages that will go in, but I'm still a good bit behind the curve. My normal way of troubleshooting this would be to start with the SPRecovery source code and find any sections that can jump to the "Installation aborted" message so I could see what conditions cause it to abort. That would at least give me avenues to pursue. I've done a fair bit of looking around and so far haven't come across the source for SPRecovery (it may not be published).

Unfortunately the messages (during attempted install of the update.zip) in SPRecovery itself are of little help:

Code:
    -- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    Installation aborted.
    No reason is given. The fact that it makes it past "verifying" seems to indicate that the signature is satisfactory - it just fails during "installing".

At least it hasn't overwritten anything when it fails so it doesn't trash anything. It almost feels like maybe it *can't* overwrite su or superuser.apk and that's why it is dying (though there is no message to that effect).

The problem I'm having with SetCPU is honestly very very minor and isn't even my primary concern at this point. This has really become a mission about truly understanding what SPR does and doesn't like, what makes it happy, etc.

I think, at a minimum I could use ADB to push the new su and superuser.apk files (rather than using Root Explorer). I can look at the update script inside the update.zip to see what it is doing (permissions wise) so I should be able to replicate those steps manually. I'll go that way if need be, but then that sort of evades understanding why SPR doesn't like these files.

I have attached the specific files I've tried to use so far. I've attached them with their original names but of course they get renamed to update.zip before copying to the root of the SD card.

Thanks again for your reply and thanks in advance for anything further you or anybody else may have to share regarding my quest.

Edited to add: I'm sure if I just put on ROM Manager it would make changing to a different version of superuser trivially simple. At this point I don't so much want it to work as I want to understand why it doesn't. Making it trivially simple with ROM Manager won't help me understand anything. :)

Attached Files:

4. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer Developer

ok another 2 things :)

1) are you choosing allow update zip intall prior to install update zip.
    2)make sure the files didnt get named update.zip.zip instead of update.zip many have had this problem with windows adding extra extension.

and i guessing you are putting the file on the root of the sdcard.

But... I know when i was flashing back to 2.1 (superuser)before the stuff was fixed, the superuser 2.1 zip i have had to be installed using clockwork it was not setup for sprecovery and would not install, and that is when i put on rommanger to get clockwork. And i was a sprecovery user but i really like clockwork now. if you do this. after installing rommanger flash clockwork recovery. than flash back to sprecovery than (on the bottom of rommanger) theres a older clockwork rocoveries section go into that and install 2.0.2.4 (seems to work with everything the newer ones dont seem to work with everything).
    There is a problem if you dont flash do this double flash it tends to not work and when you use rommanger to install it just reboots. without running the recovery.

hope this helps you out.
  5. MotoCache1

Hi Eagle. Thanks for the followup. I've actually been busy learning and hacking all day. I finished successfully building my very own signed update.zip (that works) around the same time you made your post. You'll be pleased to know that some of what you posted (the part about the zips not being compatible with SPRecovery) plays into what the problem was.

I'll post all the gory details and a brand spanking new Superuser 2.3 zip (that works with SPRecovery) for everyone in a bit. The new version of Superuser works great and has a lot of new features over the prior. Sadly the icon isn't a Ninja anymore though.
  6. MotoCache1

Done!!!

(Geez, it took 3 hours to write that up.)
Search tags for this page
2.3superuser v.
cara downgrade superuser

downgrade superuser

how to downgrade superuser

how to downgrade superuser android
how to flash superuser downgrade
super user downgrade apk

superuser 2.1

superuser 2.1.1

superuser downgrade