Want custom kernels??

razz1

Reaction score
Well I believe that we all want to free our Bionics from moto's lockdown. The knowledge and talent to bypass the bootloader is here and now. There are many that have signed petitions, started threads, and took there voice to the top of Verizon and motorola. Hopefully we can keep all that enthusiasm, and focus that energy to Kholk with Eternityproject. So why no love for the Bionic, the "red headed step child"? Why does the Razr already have a bootloader bypass?
I just talked to Kholk.....The issue is that these talented individuals behind developing the bypass for other moto phones simply don't have a Bionic to develop it on which makes things very difficult. So the question is....what can we do about it? How bad do you want this? If you have a Bionic to spare or some extra$ send me a PM for a direct link. You can also go to Eternityprojects website and give there. Just make sure you state that it's for the Bionic. I hope the moderators of this forum can understand the importance of this developement and NOT kill this thread. This is a great leap in development.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm 99% sure that the Droid Razr cannot load custom kernels. I believe the 2nd-init method is still going strong but I sure haven't heard anything of the Razr's bootloader being unlocked. Motorola did release a "developer Razr" (that features an unlockable bootloader), but I believe that was only released in Europe and is not available on Verizon.

New Motorola RAZR

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Just visited the "eternity project" website. Seems like to me that there are still a lot of issues, especially with cdma Razrs. Some cdma Razr's simply don't work with the exploit. And for the few that do, only 1 of the 2 cores in the CPU is running. It certainly doesn't seem anything like a finished product and even if this were available for the Bionic, I don't understand why anyone would want to use it until the issues get fixed. If your willing to lose 1 out of 2 cores just for and unlocked bootloader, it seems like buying another phone would be a better option. Just my opinion.

Joshison

Reaction score
On a side note, if you want your Bionic to grow wings and fly just send me a Bionic or Money.

OP
razz1

razz1

Reaction score
Just visited the "eternity project" website. Seems like to me that there are still a lot of issues, especially with cdma Razrs. Some cdma Razr's simply don't work with the exploit. And for the few that do, only 1 of the 2 cores in the CPU is running. It certainly doesn't seem anything like a finished product and even if this were available for the Bionic, I don't understand why anyone would want to use it until the issues get fixed. If your willing to lose 1 out of 2 cores just for and unlocked bootloader, it seems like buying another phone would be a better option. Just my opinion.

The thing is that not everyone can just buy a new phone. Your absolutely correct that this is not a finished project. This is only the begining. However, hypothetically of coarse, if the razr is finished a month from now, why get started on the bionic then when they can get started now?
This is just to get the ball rolling for development on the bionic. I also want to note that I am in no way affiliated with eternityproject. I started this thread to help everyone help each other. I believe this is also the beginning for future moto devices! I don't believe this is going to end with the razr or bionic.
ICS for bionic is also not a finished project, but people have no problem downloading and using. It's all a wip and developing is never a finished business.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
You could sell your phone to help pay for a new one? Regardless of that, I do wish these "eternity" guys the best of luck, but at the same time, the Droid X was released on July 15, 2012 (almost 2 years ago) and it still has yet to receive a bootloader unlock exploit. It could well be a lot longer than a month, if ever, that the Moto phones get their bootloaders unlocked fully. I'll be extremely surprised if it ever fully happens.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
BTW, just to clarify, this kexec method will theoretically (being the key word) work on ANY OMAP4 device. It is a OMAP4 kexec method, not specific to any one device.

Just seems like it would be more trouble that it is worth.

mikespe

Reaction score
This is why I left the Bionic for the Nexus. Moto dropped the ball on the Bionic so I think I will be done with them for good. Samsung isn't much better with pushing out OTA's but at least with an unlocked bootloader I can update myself. Moto makes a good phone that those that don't want to root but after the OG Droid I'm spoiled to rooting. The Gnex is my dream phone...it's the OG Droid on steroids (well the OG Droid was a TANK but the Nexus is just AMAZING!). The Nexus will last me beyond my contract if need be (another 18 months) and unless the phones at that time aren't up to par then the Nexus will still be fine.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
This was my thinking as well.

Yup, 2 major caveats of this method are listed in the Wiki article:

kexec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The second one sounds like it could really screw things up on a smartphone, especially since the original kernel isn't coded to deal with it.

Main reason this isn't available for the Bionic, however, is that the development of the RAZR method was done on the GSM version. The GSM RAZR and the CDMA/LTE version use different kernels, so it's not a plug-and-play replacement. People who HAVE tried it on the CDMA/LTE version haven't had much (if any) success, from what I understand.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Yup, 2 major caveats of this method are listed in the Wiki article:

kexec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The second one sounds like it could really screw things up on a smartphone, especially since the original kernel isn't coded to deal with it.

Main reason this isn't available for the Bionic, however, is that the development of the RAZR method was done on the GSM version. The GSM RAZR and the CDMA/LTE version use different kernels, so it's not a plug-and-play replacement. People who HAVE tried it on the CDMA/LTE version haven't had much (if any) success, from what I understand.

Bionic has gsm capability. Recent discovery. Check forums. As does rzr.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk