Wallpaper, phone memory full

silver6054

Reaction score
Hi, trying to fix an issue on my daughter's DINC II. Her phone suddenly stopped displaying any wallpaper, and when she tries to use the default HTC wallpaper, she gets a message that the phone memory is full. Confusingly, the phone also says that there are 888MB free. She doesn't have a lot on the phone, mostly on the SD card. Everything else (text, calls, internet) seem to work as usual.

I have tried clearing cache from recovery, and also looking at any items that are using memory but can't find a culprit. Any ideas? I would rather not to a factory reset yet.

Thanks

ABQNM

Reaction score
I imagine the phone is stock? If so it may be a rosie thing. The launcher (rosie) for sense does things like this. You may be able to go to the personalize button and change the theme or change the scene and see if it works on another scene or theme. If it not, a factory reset may be necessary, unfortunately.

OP
S

silver6054

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, it's stock running 2.3.4. I will try what you suggest, and, if that doesn't work, see if she thinks a factory reset is worth the hassle!

Thanks

OP
S

silver6054

Reaction score
I imagine the phone is stock? If so it may be a rosie thing. The launcher (rosie) for sense does things like this. You may be able to go to the personalize button and change the theme or change the scene and see if it works on another scene or theme. If it not, a factory reset may be necessary, unfortunately.

When things got worse, finally did a factory reset. Now the wallpaper issue is fixed, only bad thing is that the "bar" which contains the phone, personalize and app drawer is on the right hand side of the screen, blocking a lot of stuff, rather than on the bottom as it was before. Is there a way to fix this, couldn't see anything under personalize (and the Windows task bar drag and drop trick didn't work either!)

ABQNM

Reaction score
When things got worse, finally did a factory reset. Now the wallpaper issue is fixed, only bad thing is that the "bar" which contains the phone, personalize and app drawer is on the right hand side of the screen, blocking a lot of stuff, rather than on the bottom as it was before. Is there a way to fix this, couldn't see anything under personalize (and the Windows task bar drag and drop trick didn't work either!)

Wow. I would recommend another factory reset because it left something behind or it is the SD card or something on it. First do the factory reset with the same SD card in it and see if it just didn't complete properly. If still a no go then it could be on the SD card or the card itself. If you have a spare blank SD card of pretty much any size (32 max) swap that in then factory reset it. If that doesn't help then I would call verizon because something may be broken.

You could try installing the factory ruu file if you want to go that route or Verizon will probably just replace it.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

OP
S

silver6054

Reaction score
Wow. I would recommend another factory reset because it left something behind or it is the SD card or something on it. First do the factory reset with the same SD card in it and see if it just didn't complete properly. If still a no go then it could be on the SD card or the card itself. If you have a spare blank SD card of pretty much any size (32 max) swap that in then factory reset it. If that doesn't help then I would call verizon because something may be broken.

You could try installing the factory ruu file if you want to go that route or Verizon will probably just replace it.

Thanks, I was about to edit my post! After changing styles and wallpapers again, the bar suddenly shifted to the right place, so now it appears to be OK. No idea why doing for the nth time worked when the first n-1 times didn't!

I should have also said that the factory reset was not painless. I did it from the Settings menu. The resetting message sat there for about 20 mins without doing anything, so I called Verizon as I didn't want to do a battery pull in the middle of the reset. While on the call, an error message appeared, basically saying that the Factory Reset process had to force close. 2nd level support said it is fine to pull the battery, so we did that, and then did factory reset from Recovery, which worked much better.

Is the RUU the equivalent of the Motorola SBF files (I'm a Droid 2 Global user, the HTC is my daughter's so I am much less familiar) which basically returns the system files to the original (or earlier) state?

Thanks

Last edited:

ABQNM

Reaction score
Thanks, I was about to edit my post! After changing styles and wallpapers again, the bar suddenly shifted to the right place, so now it appears to be OK. No idea why doing for the nth time worked when the first n-1 times didn't!

I should have also said that the factory reset was not painless. I did it from the Settings menu. The resetting message sat there for about 20 mins without doing anything, so I called Verizon as I didn't want to do a battery pull in the middle of the reset. While on the call, an error message appeared, basically saying that the Factory Reset process had to force close. 2nd level support said it is fine to pull the battery, so we did that, and then did factory reset from Recovery, which worked much better.

Is the RUU the equivalent of the Motorola SBF files (I'm a Droid 2 Global user, the HTC is my daughter's so I am much less familiar) which basically returns the system files to the original (or earlier) state?

Thanks

Yeah the ruu is actually the rom update utility but it is used to describe 2 things. You can use the ruu connected to the computer which is the actual utility or there is what people refer to as an ruu but is actually just the rom.zip extracted from the ruu.exe and renamed. The zip can be flashed in the bootloader. But yeah that is the closest equivalent to the SBF but the SBF is more of an engineering tool so it restores everything where as the ruu may not be able to remove certain rooted features like an SBF can. I used to have an X so I know all about that fun stuff. I like both phones though.