1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Waiting for the Charge? Might want to read these reviews first.....

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by nerdslogic, May 6, 2011.

1. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

Couple of quotes for those that don't want to read the linked thread. I would recommend reading it though because it isn't all bad. There are actually some pretty cool things in there.

"Where to begin? 3G connection issues, a plasticky build, slow display wake, a buggy and sluggish UI overlay, tons of sponsored bloatware, and an outdated version of Android (FYI: Froyo will be turning 1 year old pretty soon). Taken together, these flaws should make any reasonable person think twice about taking a 2-year plunge with the $300 Charge."

another quote

"What Verizon and Samsung have done is built a phone (out of plastic) with the aesthetic qualities of a fine Italian sports car, and then proceeded to stuff an old, angry 800-pound bloatware/software overlay gorilla in the trunk, and weld it shut. The result? It’s unpredictable, annoying, slows the phone down, and there’s not much you can do about it – except try and ignore it. Which, I might add, is nearly impossible."

Here is probably the most potent statement in this review.

"The DROID Charge has a few things going for it; namely, a great screen, a great network, and a pretty good rear-facing camera. Unfortunately, the Charge also has a lot of things working against it – TouchWiz, an old version of Android, buggy software, bloatware, connectivity issues, plastic, and most importantly: an absolutely absurd $300 price tag. For $100, I’d say the Charge was a decent phone. But at a flagship price, it gets judged like a flagship device, and that’s a standard the Charge, frankly, doesn’t live up to."

There is however a ton of information as well as pic's of the phone and from the phone. Overall it looks fairly good....not $300 worth of good, but good none the less. This is now the second thread I have started relating this phone. Different reviews so I thought I would share this as well.

Here is the most recent review that the above quotes were taken from which also includes several pic's and quite a bit of info.

[Review] The Samsung DROID Charge, Or: How Slow, Buggy Software Ruined A Phone | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

My original thread is here.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/samsung-droid-charge/144376-droid-charge-not-realling-impressive.html

So....with all that being said.....who all is pre-ordering one? ;)
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

So its the Fiero of Droids?

sent from somewhere...
  3. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

ok dude....that is the funniest one line I have read in over a month.....thanks to you I now have co-workers looking at me like I am losing it over here after I just busted out laughing in the middle of a completely silent room.
  4. Trenton

Trenton New Member

touchwiz and bloat are the worst things about it?....easy fix...root and remove the bloat, instal a gingerbread ROM then instal your favorite 3rd party launcher. this is pretty much the best android phone to date. unless your in the majority of people and dont know anything about rooting, ROMs or even third party launchers. then yeah touchwiz looks HORRIBLE! and extremely UGLY!

but everything else about this phone is amazing...with the SAMOLED+ screen and awesome battery life with LTE...i wouldnt think twice about this phone...instant buy.
  5. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

Rooting will fix everything but the build quality :D

tappin and a talkin
  6. jimmydene84

jimmydene84 New Member

I totally agree......and to take staffords comment a little farther.....if ur a car guy u know its not all bad, they make a conversion kit for the fiero to swap a northstar V8 from the cadillac and make is a MONSTER!! This phone is no different, root it remove all the bloat, minor tweaks...and it too will be a MONSTER!
    Sent from my Droid
  7. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

The above comments are why I recommended to read the entire thread. That is why I was saying it isn't all bad. But....the build quality might be a little worry some....but then again I guess you can say the same about all the phone's out right now. I am a bit concerned about the connectivity issues that were being described.

But rooting won't fix the whole price tag thing either.....;)
  8. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

You guys have to remember though.....when reviews are done on devices those devices are not rooted. So they are purely basing their opinions on the stock build.....which in this case if root were not possible there would be no way you would get me to buy this.
  9. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

This is true for sure. The way I see it though, I will be out to root any phone I purchase in the future, so the charge actually looks pretty good to me. I don't have as much of a problem with samsungs build quality as I used to. My girl has a vibrant and she has dropped it on concrete several times and in water once and it shows no signs of quitting.

tappin and a talkin
  10. Trenton

Trenton New Member

Agreed, same goes for any other android phone.

Just as every other android phone comes with bloat and a crappy ui.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  11. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

Well that is a nice change of pace. I swore of Samsung a while back after some horrible experiences with some of their phones. Glad to hear they are turning it around.

I totally agree with being out to Root all future phones. May it be the D3 or the DX2 for me it IS going to be rooted.
  12. Droid101

Droid101 Member

As long a Moto keeps that encryption rooting wont be as easy:)
  13. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

as I am sure you saw Moto has announced that aren't going to be locking bootloaders on 2011 devices.....although I am hearing that they are going to just be "unlock\relockable"
  14. vzdroid13

vzdroid13 New Member

We will probably be able to remove TouchWiz without even rooting. On the all the old galaxy S phones, you only had to clear defaults or force stop TWlauncher in the manage applications screen, and you would be given the choice to use TouchWiz or stock. Either way, a 3rd party launcher probably will be the popular choice.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  15. AstroBoy

AstroBoy New Member

I think rooting will be fairly easy and done as soon as the phone hits the streets. One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is that Samsung released the source code for the Charge a few weeks ago.
  16. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Yeah I saw that. I though do not put too much faith in Motorola time frames and foresee that option not happening until 2012:)
  17. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Phones already rooted with a one click root option:)
  18. npro1464

npro1464 Member

The Charge has been rooted. The question is, will there be dev support!!??
  19. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

all of those quotes are from the only negative review i've seen on the phone.

try this one from engadget

or this one

excerpt "I was prepared for an average device when I started using the DROID Charge but what I experienced blew me away. In my opinion, the DROID Charge will launch as the phone with both the best camera and the best screen (Super AMOLED Plus), with 4G connectivity to boot. These facts alone mean I can confidently recommend the DROID Charge, especially if taking pics and big screens are your thing."

yeah so....

(i'm still waiting for the galaxys2, just saying)
  20. czm2000

czm2000 New Member

I meant to comment on the screen turning on and off. Mine turns on and off instantly I don't have to wait a second.

I do have to agree with the data conectivity problem. Randomly it will all of a sudden be not connected to any data. The reviewer probably wasn't aware but you do not have to totally restart the phone every time. Toggling airplane mode on then back off solves the problem.

My only concern is it really didn't happen that much at first. But seems to be increasing in frequency. Since restarting the phone or toggling airplane mode solves the problem everytime it leads me to believe it's the phone and not necessarily the network :-(

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
Search tags for this page

droid charge review cnet

samsung charge model code