waiting, but so far underwhelmed by what am I reading....

J

jason_jm

take away ICS, and what do you have?

A phone with a nice screen, bad camera, and no volume

the bad camera is disappointing.

the low speaker volume is an absolute deal breaker for anyone who uses a phone for business (missed calls unacceptable) or spends a lot of time on the phone and needs speakerphone.

for a "flahship" device, this whole (non)launch / phone combo has been disappointing to say the least.

My personal take? within 6 months down the line something new with ICS will definitely be better overall than this phone. So I have changed from a cannot wait to most likely wait (zero chance i would pre-order this phone)

OP
J

jason_jm

not really

i wanted to get rid of my thunderbolt for something great

but i dont need a thunderbolt version 2. Nothing worse than buying a phone that works worse than your previous phone.

once bitten.....

jcardona1

Reaction score
The camera will be a deal breaker for me. BUT, I'm waiting till I get one in my hands to reserve judgement. Some blogs post great sample photos, and on other sites, they look terrible. I don't know what to think. But I do know that I'm not gonna settle for a crappy camera again. I have had a piece of garbage camera for two years (D1) and I'm not going through that again. If this one blows like some people say, I'm getting a Rezound and get back to my normal life.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
But the fact is that it has ICS and the new OS was built around this phone which means it's going to perform like a champ no matter what anyone says. I really am getting tired of people just stating new threads bashing the phone that hasn't even been released yet in the US. It's all "Wah! The processor sucks!" or "Wah! The camera is the worst ever!" or "Wah! I'm so upset I waited for this phone!" If you don't like it, don't get it. No one made you wait this long except for you. Here are some fun facts, the camera doesn't suck(the software needs to be tweaked for it to work better), the processor doesn't suck(it's what makes encoding 1080p videos fast), the speaker phone is software related. ICS is brand new, you think older Android OSes were perfect when they were just released. Give it some time to get released and if updates don't fix any issue users have then you can cry all you want but it's not even released so just sit back and wait or buy a Razr/Rezound.

(I mean this as nicely as possible but it had to be said.)

doublea500

Reaction score
in 6 months, something always newer and better will come out. only single exception i can think of is the gs2.

and dont forget, the phone does have good hardware.

Camera is dissapointing, but i can deal with it.
I can care less with external sound. i really only use headphones.

So a google phone, with the first to get the best updates for the next two years. Highly supported by developers. Unlocked bootloader... Its going to be a good phone.

jcardona1

Reaction score
But the fact is that it has ICS and the new OS was built around this phone which means it's going to perform like a champ no matter what anyone says. I really am getting tired of people just stating new threads bashing the phone that hasn't even been released yet in the US. It's all "Wah! The processor sucks!" or "Wah! The camera is the worst ever!" or "Wah! I'm so upset I waited for this phone!" If you don't like it, don't get it. No one made you wait this long except for you. Here are some fun facts, the camera doesn't suck(the software needs to be tweaked for it to work better), the processor doesn't suck(it's what makes encoding 1080p videos fast), the speaker phone is software related. ICS is brand new, you think older Android OSes were perfect when they were just released. Give it some time to get released and if updates don't fix any issue users have then you can cry all you want but it's not even released so just sit back and wait or buy a Razr/Rezound.

(I mean this as nicely as possible but it had to be said.)

Gotta love our first-world problems :)

OP
J

jason_jm

I hope this phone is great. But im waiting to work on one first before I buy it, thunderbolt taught me a lesson, warnings needed to be tested to see if there is any truth to them.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Gotta love our first-world problems :)

All the issues people claim to have with a phone that they've never held is simply nitpicking at this point. A lot of what I read people were displeased by are all things that can be fixed by updates. Now I can see if there were reported hardware issues, excluding the volume bug in the UK then I would agree with most people not showing love for the G-Nex. I still think it's going to blow other phones that will be getting the update to ICS away. Everyone just needs to think of ICS is like a ROM, when it first comes out there are always problems, now that enough people have the G-Nex over in the UK issues are going to arise because more people are using the phone. Every device is different, like the OG for example, some can run ULV kernels some can't, some could OC to 1.25ghz and some only 900mhz.

jcardona1

Reaction score
All the issues people claim to have with a phone that they've never held is simply nitpicking at this point. A lot of what I read people were displeased by are all things that can be fixed by updates. Now I can see if there were reported hardware issues, excluding the volume bug in the UK then I would agree with most people not showing love for the G-Nex. I still think it's going to blow other phones that will be getting the update to ICS away. Everyone just needs to think of ICS is like a ROM, when it first comes out there are always problems, now that enough people have the G-Nex over in the UK issues are going to arise because more people are using the phone. Every device is different, like the OG for example, some can run ULV kernels some can't, some could OC to 1.25ghz and some only 900mhz.

Yeah, they may very well be, which is why I said I'm waiting to reserve judgement. But like I said, I can't deal with a crappy camera again, and have to wait weeks/months for an update to fix it. Never had a Nexus phone so I'm not sure what Google's process and time frame is for fixing known issues via OTA updates...

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
take away ICS, and what do you have?

A phone with a nice screen, bad camera, and no volume

the bad camera is disappointing.

the low speaker volume is an absolute deal breaker for anyone who uses a phone for business (missed calls unacceptable) or spends a lot of time on the phone and needs speakerphone.

for a "flahship" device, this whole (non)launch / phone combo has been disappointing to say the least.

My personal take? within 6 months down the line something new with ICS will definitely be better overall than this phone. So I have changed from a cannot wait to most likely wait (zero chance i would pre-order this phone)

This is new and different, another whiner. These new threads never get old, oh wait...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they may very well be, which is why I said I'm waiting to reserve judgement. But like I said, I can't deal with a crappy camera again, and have to wait weeks/months for an update to fix it. Never had a Nexus phone so I'm not sure what Google's process and time frame is for fixing known issues via OTA updates...

Considering Google creates all Android updates, they release them first, then the manufacturers modify them to work with their skins.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score

Well, I'm hearing talk of 4.1 so any issues could already be fixed. I also read Google will be doing a lot in 2012 regarding ICS, and I mean A LOT, so I would expect timely updates.