Wait for Iphone on Verizon?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's like saying you're trading in a Ferrari for a new Camaro. Why?!

No actually its not. There are major downsides of the droid compared to iPhone as well as major downsides of the iPhone compared to Droid. The iPhone is an awesome device and so is the Droid. Its all about personal preference and style. The iPhone has a lot more app storage and apps. The Droid has other perks. I love my Droid but you also cant knock the iPhone because it is a very nice device. If it weren't for Apple you probably wouldn't have the Droid with Apps and features like that.

NOTE: The iPhone is not even for sure coming to Verizon but has been written by the Wall Street Journal that it is expected to hit Verizon in Sept of 2010. This is still rumor and speculation at this point.

+1 on all points. I like my Droid very much and wouldn't trade it for an iPhone, but criticizing those who prefer the iPod experience is like criticizing those who prefer to eat in a good restaurant rather than learning to be a chef.

The bottom line is that the two most significant differences between the iPhone and the Droid are that the iPhone doesn't support multitasking by third party applications and the iTunes store is a much more tightly controlled marketplace than Google's Market.

And while each can be argued to be a plus for the Droid, there is just as strong an argument that preventing multi-tasking for third party apps avoids the multitude of problems demonstrated on this board that tempt users to use "task killers" to deal with unpredictable performance. And though Droid users prefer the "openness" of the Google Market, the iPhone marketplace is not flooded with half-finished not-ready-for-beta "applications" that are so common there.

Finally, you're correct; there is no guarantee that the iPhone is coming to Verizon. In fact, while I give a lot more credence to the WSJ than to bloggers who repeat rumors from other bloggers, the story in the WSJ didn't say the iPhone would be on Verizon. The story said there would be an "apple phone" available on VZW. And that is very unlikely to happen before next fall at the earliest.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
It really depends on what you want.

In my opinion, the iPhone is a better "gadget" than the Droid. The Droid is a better phone than the iPhone.

My parents are looking to get smartphones, and I think their individual needs suit them to different phones -- I think my mother would be better off with a Droid, my father would probably like the iPhone better. If iPhone comes to Verizon, that would be great, because they could get both.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
What's this iphone you speak of?

OP
R

Retire36

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to keep the Droid. I have a lot of respect for the ability of Google to continue to improve the Android system.

Dave

M

Matth3w

For the love of God, the whole Verizon/iPhone debate. Verizon has SPECIFICALLY stated that they have NEVER said the iPhone was coming to Verizon, EVER.

blunted

Reaction score
iv owned every iphone since the first week the 2g was released. I have had a droid for 4 weeks now and cant picture going back. i can take pics in the dark, my home screen can be completely customized to the point the iphone couldnt dream of, the reception is far better, phone is more clear, speaker is way better, android market is growing very fast, screen is better, navigation better then navigon/tom tom, voice EVERYTHING and it works, battery and much more. Once you get used to the widgets you cant go back. Only thing that sux is the fact that my telus milestone cant have custom roms :|

This is coming from an iphone user of 3 years.