Wait for Christmas or buy a new phone now?

FeedMeAStrayCat

Reaction score
HI All,

So I am in the market for buying a new phone off contract full price. I have been looking at the Moto X and it looks pretty good. My question is, should I wait till Christmas before dropping 500 bucks on a new phone? Since I am buying at full price I would like the phone to last about 2 years in terms of keeping up and being usable. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Stellar that is horribly slow (used to have a bionic but I destroyed it), so the sooner I can get another phone the better.

Thanks for any replies.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
There are always Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. Last year Motorola had a killer deal buying direct through them and using Moto Maker. I wanna say it was $249 or $299. I'm sure they will do it again. The only other deals you will probably see is LG G3 and S5 free on 2 year contract. I doubt the Turbo or Nexus 6 will have any deals. But you only have 3 weeks to wait. And if you start browsing the Black Friday sites you will know in advance what deals will be available.

Tap'd from my LG G2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Garemlin gave some great advice. I'd suggest the same thing, wait for those deals ;) Heck black Friday will be here in 3....2.....1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Actually.. This year I'm hearing there might be some "beat black Friday" sales... But don't quote that as far as providers... But best buy and rad shack and places like that, will be looking to make a dent too. But i definitely agree on waiting

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Unless there is something terribly wrong with your current phone I would wait as well. The end of the year is a good time to get great deals on phones that launched earlier in the year.

Unless Black Friday surprises me, our phones will be purchased in December.

OP
F

FeedMeAStrayCat

Reaction score
Ya ultimatley I'm going to wait a bit. There is nothing horribly wrong with my phone but some of the features I would like to try out are so slow it's not worth it. I am going to buy this phone off contract so I don't lose my unlimited data. Not sure if this will come into play with buying around Black Friday.

Was thinking maybe about going with a Moto X, any opinions if this thing would keep up for two years?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Um... I just read some interesting stuff about devices in the pipe for February... New chips like the 810 with the new krait and adreno setup all for lollipop... Rumors of 4 gigs of ram and even the ever elusive SD card expandable memory...so yeah.. I'd wait..

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok so far I have seen The LG G3, and the Samsung Galaxy S5 for $1 with a two year contract at Best Buy. The Note 4 you get a $50 Best Buy gift card with Edge (and whatever the other two carriers call it).

IPhone 6 $99 with a 2 year contract and iPhone 5s for $1.

All prices are with VZW, AT&T and Sprint.

OP
F

FeedMeAStrayCat

Reaction score
Feb is a bit to far off for me. I will wait for the Black Friday/December sales before pulling the trigger. The issue is I'm buying this phone off contract because I don't want to lose the unlimited data. I'm with VZ and unfortunatly I don't have a loop hole I can use.

So with that I expect to pay full retail for the phone, so I'm not sure that sales/deals that involve a contract are going to be applicable to me.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Feb is a bit to far off for me. I will wait for the Black Friday/December sales before pulling the trigger. The issue is I'm buying this phone off contract because I don't want to lose the unlimited data. I'm with VZ and unfortunatly I don't have a loop hole I can use.

So with that I expect to pay full retail for the phone, so I'm not sure that sales/deals that involve a contract are going to be applicable to me.

That's definitely something to keep in mind for Black Friday and other holiday deals at retailers. Most of them, like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and carriers, have on-contract deals, but little to no off-contract deals.

Garemlin's original reply probably holds the most promise for an off-contract deal. Motorola did have several off-contract deals on the 2013 Moto X last year (and earlier this year). I wouldn't be surprised if they have deals for the 2014 version this year.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Motorola might even have a sale on the Nexus 6 buying direct. That and the Moto X are gonna be the best bet for off contract discounts. Retailers rarely discount off contract price. Especially on new phones.

Tap'd from my Droid Turbo

Dingbat

Reaction score
Ok so far I have seen The LG G3, and the Samsung Galaxy S5 for $1 with a two year contract at Best Buy. The Note 4 you get a $50 Best Buy gift card with Edge (and whatever the other two carriers call it).

IPhone 6 $99 with a 2 year contract and iPhone 5s for $1.

All prices are with VZW, AT&T and Sprint.

I'm planning to get my bride an S5 like mine (replaces a Razr Max). I saw that $1 at BB. I got skittish because it is almost $200 everywhere else. Am I just paranoid? She's eligible for an upgrade. Thanks in advance.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm planning to get my bride an S5 like mine (replaces a Razr Max). I saw that $1 at BB. I got skittish because it is almost $200 everywhere else. Am I just paranoid? She's eligible for an upgrade. Thanks in advance.

No need to be skittish about it. It's legit. Best Buy and other retailers have deals like that often that make phones substantially cheaper on contract from them than from most everyone else.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
No need to be skittish about it. It's legit. Best Buy and other retailers have deals like that often that make phones substantially cheaper on contract from them than from most everyone else.

Exactly. They get paid for writing new contracts. Not selling phones. That is why Best Buy really does not like people buying phones off contract. And is the reason they usually price them substantially higher than direct. This discourages people from paying full price. Though some Best Buy will price match carriers off contract price.