wacky signal strength bars

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by f00f, Nov 18, 2009.

1. f00f

f00f New Member

The "number of bars" (signal strength meter on the status bar) seems to fluctuate rather wildly on the Droid. I'll be in a stationary location with 4 bars, then it'll drop to zero bars and back up to 4 again. The fluctuations appear to coincide w/ data transfer such as sending an IM via Google Talk. Is there a technical reason for this (perhaps a characteristic of CDMA?) or is the signal meter just spastic?
  2. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

I don't see that to often, but do realize that bars are not a good measure of signal strength. They are set up by the manufacturer and are not equal across the board. Look in settings and then a about phone. There you will see status I think. Inside there is all your current phone info including signal strength. Probably way off topic from what you are talking about but I always see a lot of bar questions.
  3. f00f

f00f New Member

Thanks. I understand that the 4-bar meter is only an approximation of the relative strength. I just think it's odd that the value fluctuates from max (4 bars) to min (zero bars) on a whim.

Home->Menu->Settings->About phone->Status->Signal strength gives a numeric value for the strength in dBm. Would be nice if I could get this value on the status bar instead of the silly 4-bar meter. ;-)
  4. ChrisK15

ChrisK15 New Member

It happens to me and my friend too. We'll have full 3G signal then it'll drop to zero for a couple seconds, but won't actually go to 1x. It goes right back though.
Search tags for this page

access motorola droid signal strength meter

droid 2 signal fluctuating

droid razr m zero bars

droid ultra signal strength

samsung s4 signal bars fluctuating

signal fluctuations droid

verizon galaxy s4 signal strength indicator

why does signal strength fluctuate on galaxy s4

why does verizon signal strength fluctuate