w/out adb, no recovery

mau5hunter

Reaction score
Hello, I am having trouble with my recovery mode. I rooted an X last night using DoRootforWindows, and it honestly did not go that smooth. Eventually I got the phone rooted, and Rom Manager excepted the root and permissions.

The first thing i wanted to do was a make a recovery, so after an initial attempt to boot into recovery using clockwork failed (shocker) , I attempted to flash an alternate recovery (sprecovery maybe) like you do on a d1 to fix clockwork. Except there was no SPRecovery. I then purchased the full rom manager on this device, and tried to flash on older version of clockwork. failed- wont even download.

Not being able to get the phone into recovery itself, I plug it in and use adb server

# adb reboot recovery

and get there. Except there is no nandroid, and I can not install a rom downloaded to the devices SD card.

Any suggestion would be great, but the heart of the question is how do i fix the broken recovery mode?

shinkamui

Reaction score
For the future you need to do proper research on your specific device before attempting to brick it (yes, you read that right). The DroidX only has a bootstrap recovery, meaning that 1, there is no alternate recovery to flash, and 2, you shouldn't try and use generic tools to work with it unless you actually know what you're doing. Your best bet at this point is to either find a signed update.zip and flash it using the built in recovery, or reflash the phone using one of the leaked SBFs and rdslite or an alternate sbf flasher (like sbf_flasher for linux). That will get you back to complete stock where you can try to screw up again. There are plenty of guides available on how to fix your mistake, I'd start by googling 'droidx SBF recovery'. Good luck, and godspeed.

In case you or some other flamer in the thread take this personally, the whole thing was written with a very light heart. I feel for you @mau5hunter, that's why I could be bothered to respond at all.

OP
M

mau5hunter

Reaction score
For the future you need to do proper research on your specific device before attempting to brick it (yes, you read that right). The DroidX only has a bootstrap recovery, meaning that 1, there is no alternate recovery to flash, and 2, you shouldn't try and use generic tools to work with it unless you actually know what you're doing. Your best bet at this point is to either find a signed update.zip and flash it using the built in recovery, or reflash the phone using one of the leaked SBFs and rdslite or an alternate sbf flasher (like sbf_flasher for linux). That will get you back to complete stock where you can try to screw up again. There are plenty of guides available on how to fix your mistake, I'd start by googling 'droidx SBF recovery'. Good luck, and godspeed.

In case you or some other flamer in the thread take this personally, the whole thing was written with a very light heart. I feel for you @mau5hunter, that's why I could be bothered to respond at all.

thank you oh so much for even bothering at all oh mighty shinkamui . been on this forum for a couple months now and have not come across anybody as special as you. question though, if you're so bothered answering others questions, why are you even answering at all?

shinkamui

Reaction score

thank you oh so much for even bothering at all oh mighty shinkamui . been on this forum for a couple months now and have not come across anybody as special as you. question though, if you're so bothered answering others questions, why are you even answering at all?

Lol, you really did take it personally. I wasn't trying to insult you, I tend to be very sarcastic, which doesn't translate well in writing alone. Please take a deep breath, un-knot your panties, and try taking the advise I gave you, I think you'll be right back on your high horse in no time.