VZW's All New Droid Line-up Now Open For Pre-Order

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
d_lineup.png

It took only 5 minutes to introduce Big Red's latest Droids, and now you can pre-order them on the Droid Does landing page. Verizon/Motorola didn't drag the announcement out very long and got right to business as soon as they hit the stage. It had a feeling of "here they are, this is what they have and this is when you can get them. Bye." Now that isn't a bad thing, and was probably suitable for these handsets since they didn't introduce anything earth shattering, but we thought they should have spent at least a couple of minutes showing off some of the software capabilities. Regardless, the handsets are great looking and are a nice evolution of the Droid series on. Head on over to Droid Does and get your pre-order in. Don't forget to let us know which Droid handset you are picking up and/or thoughts on the presentation and hardware.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I can see the Mini and the Maxx selling decently well.

The mini is a little power house with a 4.3" 720p screen(with the same specs as the ultra). Also a decently sized 2000Mah battery(pretty big considering screen size)

The Maxx has a huge 3500mah battery to support the 5 inch screen and it has 32gb storage

The ultra is kind of in no mans land. 2150mah battery 16gb internal... its a 1/4 inch thick....i guess theres that...

I guess i could see people being, well i have $200, i dont want a 4.3 inch screen and cant afford the big battery that i would love....so ill go for this...

Odd marketing

B-Unit

Reaction score
Wow, bigger than Droid 4 now qualifies as 'mini'. Android manufacturers really need to get off of this 'bigger is better' train, I know at least 2 people (both women) who bought iPhones because every Android available was way to big. Slim is nice, but footprint is a problem for smaller people.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I can see the Mini and the Maxx selling decently well.

The mini is a little power house with a 4.3" 720p screen(with the same specs as the ultra). Also a decently sized 2000Mah battery(pretty big considering screen size)

The Maxx has a huge 3500mah battery to support the 5 inch screen and it has 32gb storage

The ultra is kind of in no mans land. 2150mah battery 16gb internal... its a 1/4 inch thick....i guess theres that...

I guess i could see people being, well i have $200, i dont want a 4.3 inch screen and cant afford the big battery that i would love....so ill go for this...

Odd marketing
I prefer the Ultra over the MAXX. The Slimness and Red Kevlar make for a great looking handset (in my opinion) Making the Ultra and MAXX easily identifiable was a very smart move. The RAZR and RAZR MAXX was a no brainer when it came to purchasing. The MAXX was a better buy because it looked exactly like the RAZR so aesthetics never entered the equation. With the Ultra and MAXX you now have two slightly different looking handsets that will appeal to a variety of people. For me battery life is not an issue, aesthetics are more important. So in my situation I'll purchase the better looking handset.

I think Moto and Verizon did an excellent job with these 3 devices. There is no longer a front runner in the bunch. They all have something to offer for everyone...

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I prefer the Ultra over the MAXX. The Slimness and Red Kevlar make for a great looking handset (in my opinion) Making the Ultra and MAXX easily identifiable was a very smart move. The RAZR and RAZR MAXX was a no brainer when it came to purchasing. The MAXX was a better buy because it looked exactly like the RAZR so aesthetics never entered the equation. With the Ultra and MAXX you now have two slightly different looking handsets that will appeal to a variety of people. For me battery life is not an issue, aesthetics are more important. So in my situation I'll purchase the better looking handset.

I think Moto and Verizon did an excellent job with these 3 devices. There is no longer a front runner in the bunch. They all have something to offer for everyone...

If the ultra came with 32gb i would agree(a tad more)....i just think its odd that the "ultra" doesnt....

TheOldFart

Reaction score
If the ultra came with 32gb i would agree(a tad more)....i just think its odd that the "ultra" doesnt....

I actually don't consider it odd. It just follows on the specs of the RAZR HD series. The prices are also the same as what the RAZR HD series started at. The thing that makes it a little more unusual is that the Ultra series deleted the SD card slot.

I would assume that if the Ultra came with 32GB then it would be priced at $250 instead of $200. That would make it too close to the MAXX and probably greatly lessen sales of the Ultra and take it above what a lot of people are willing to spend.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I actually don't consider it odd. It just follows on the specs of the RAZR HD series. The prices are also the same as what the RAZR HD series started at. The thing that makes it a little more unusual is that the Ultra series deleted the SD card slot.

I would assume that if the Ultra came with 32GB then it would be priced at $250 instead of $200. That would make it too close to the MAXX and probably greatly lessen sales of the Ultra and take it above what a lot of people are willing to spend.

i thought it did have an ad card slot! Ouch!

MMBrown26

Reaction score
I have anxiously awaited spec news on the new, Moto Droid MAXX. It is at least initially disappointing to me that Motorola/Verizon deemed fit to remove the microSD card slot from the MAXX handset (maybe Verizon is hoping for more remote backup/data usage?). I am accustomed to switching music collectioins in and out of my phone via 2 microSD cards so this deletion by Motorola will make my habits much more difficult.

I am also kind of surprised that a decision was made to stick with 720p screen resolution in an age where 1080p seems to be more the norm on the biggest and best phones. If this screen resolution makes it easier to view the screen in bright sunlight, etc., that's great. I hear that can be difficult on a unit with 1080p.

I am sure that the actual MAXX phone will be quite nice despite these personal grievances. I intended to make this unit my 4th in a row from Motorola/Verizon but now find myself more seriously considering the Samsung Galaxy S4. I know nothing yet about the HTC One on Vzw either. I may wait until a new Moto MAXX arrives in stores to check it out thoroughly before making the leap on an order.

I like the look of the Motorola with Kevlar as opposed to poly-c Samsung but considering that any purchase of mine will end up buried in the middle of a highly protective case anyway does the phone's outer shell really matter much? I guess I just expected more from Motorola's new "big flagship" (or is this not yet it?) than this, not that their current design is all that bad. It's just slightly less than I hoped for and possibly does not stand up well to competition, though it is now priced higher than any other company's flagship model already on the market.

Maybe Motorola has more in store for us in the future in phones with quad cores and higher screen resolution, putting back the much desired card slot, etc? The clock is always ticking and competition on the alert. I still like the way Motorola builds phones that last well and work great!

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
I have anxiously awaited spec news on the new, Moto Droid MAXX. It is at least initially disappointing to me that Motorola/Verizon deemed fit to remove the microSD card slot from the MAXX handset (maybe Verizon is hoping for more remote backup/data usage?). I am accustomed to switching music collectioins in and out of my phone via 2 microSD cards so this deletion by Motorola will make my habits much more difficult.

I am also kind of surprised that a decision was made to stick with 720p screen resolution in an age where 1080p seems to be more the norm on the biggest and best phones. If this screen resolution makes it easier to view the screen in bright sunlight, etc., that's great. I hear that can be difficult on a unit with 1080p.
After a certain point your eyes cannot pick up any noticeable difference in clarity with sheer pixel count. 720p vs. 1080p really only has a marginal difference in audio quality. I would go for Maxx or x phone at this stage next year when it's time to move from RAZR Maxx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums