vzw whats best for rooting?

greystoker

Reaction score
I plan on buying a new phone very soon and need to know which 1 will be the best for rooting. I plan on uninstalling all of the crap crap so I will not useand downloading an app to allow me to use the tethering or wifi sharing. with all of the verizon phones which 1 would be best for this around 100 dollars with new contract? please note I will not buy a samsung ;)

tia
myk

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Galaxy nexus definitely. I know you don't wanna buy a Samsung but this is THE phone for all your root/flashing needs.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Why no Samsung?

I agree with Robot Cow. If youre into /ROMs, it is the phone to have aznd comes with pretty much no bloatware already

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I was a Motorola only person and I was stuck between the RAZR and the gnex. I already knew I wanted to root and ROM it and I knew that the RAZR had a locked bootloader. I really like the razrs build quality and feel over the gnex but in the end I went with the gnex and I'm 100% satisfied. Its such a relief to have a nexus since its fully unlockable. Coming from a droid 2 it was so awesome to unlock the bootloader. But this is my take on it

OP
G

greystoker

Reaction score
Damn it!!! >.< I said no Nexus because every time I serviced my phone (Droid X or 2) they'd give me that thing. I hate the feel of it. That and I hear the new version has a sub-par camera. That being said, it looks like there's overwhelming support for the Nexus over everything else. Maybe I'll get to like the thing. Thanks for advice all.

Nealius

Reaction score
You asked for phone that is the best for rooting. Of course the Nexus will win. Its the only phone with an unlocked bootloader. and it now falls within in your low price point.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Robot Cow said:
I was a Motorola only person and I was stuck between the RAZR and the gnex. I already knew I wanted to root and ROM it and I knew that the RAZR had a locked bootloader. I really like the razrs build quality and feel over the gnex but in the end I went with the gnex and I'm 100% satisfied. Its such a relief to have a nexus since its fully unlockable. Coming from a droid 2 it was so awesome to unlock the bootloader. But this is my take on it

How did you unlock the bootloader?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
How did you unlock the bootloader?

I think he was just contrasting between the pain that the D2 bootloader was in comparison to the ease of the Galaxy Nexus bootloader. I don't think he was claiming to have unlocked the D2 bootloader.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Oh haha sorry bout that. I didn't unlock the bootloader on the d2. It was something that I always wished I could do though. What I ment to say was that I felt so amazed when I unlocked the bootloader on my nexus.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Damn it!!! >.< I said no Nexus because every time I serviced my phone (Droid X or 2) they'd give me that thing. I hate the feel of it. That and I hear the new version has a sub-par camera. That being said, it looks like there's overwhelming support for the Nexus over everything else. Maybe I'll get to like the thing. Thanks for advice all.
Well your question was very specific and there is a very specific answer, unfortunately it's not the one you wanted to hear :D

Honestly, all the phones have some quality ROMs, but the advantage is Nexus already had JB ROMs and off the cdma aosp. So if you want the latest and greatest, it's really hard to ignore getting a Nexus specifically for rooting. Not to mention it's also going for $99 with contract renewal, so it falls even more into your requirements:D

If you hate the feel of the thing, try adding a case to it. We all admit the phone can be a bit slippery, but a case, even a cheap TPU one like mine, will certainly solve that issue. I don't like my case, but I use it when I do outdoor activites.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Here we go again, no love for the Rezound. You CAN unlock the bootloader on the Rezound. So if that is one of your requirements you might want to look into it. It's a solid phone all the way around.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I would however say that it is quite an advantage that the Galaxy Nexus CAN run Jelly Bean ​RIGHT NOW (and literally has since the day Jelly Bean was announced) compared to other Verizon Android phones. The rezound would certainly be my next choice though :biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
G

greystoker

Reaction score
so are the nexus and s3 the same thing? as in 'Samsung Nexus Galaxy SIII'? or am i confusing two phones?