VZW unlimited global data going away

sh00t3r

Reaction score
I used this plan for a long time and was really bummed to find out 3 days before I left for Germany that the plan is no more. I honestly would pay double the $ for the global unlimited email plan if it were ever to come back.

Now though, I do feel as though I stuck it to Verizon. Rather than paying the absurd rates now offered, I just dropped in a new Vodaphone SIM with 3gb monthly allowance for 60 euros or something. So, Verizon could have had my money but I will spend it elsewhere to get the service I expect.

No issues with the new SIM, other than not being able to text to US phones. Many other options there though using online apps. New Skype version (over 3G) works flawlessly. And everything else works just as it would in the states. Speeds here are so much better too.

Wake up Verizon. International business travelers are not dumb. People aren't going to pay these absurd rates. Technology advancements have now made it possible to travel abroad without having to spend hundreds of dollars to use your phone as you would at home. Yes people are going to use VOIP. You can either profit from the data usage, or lose the business all together to overseas providers catering to these expectations.

vatothe0

Reaction score
If it was as profitable for Verizon as you think it was, they wouldn't have stopped offering it.

I'm sure it costs more than $1 per day to offer unlimited international data roaming.

Sent from my DROIDX

sh00t3r

Reaction score
If it was as profitable for Verizon as you think it was, they wouldn't have stopped offering it.

I'm sure it costs more than $1 per day to offer unlimited international data roaming.

Sent from my DROIDX

I believe they stopped offering it not as a result of loss of profit, but as a result of not enough profit. They seem just like the greedy airlines. Nickle and dime you for every single thing they can. voip probably has a part to play here. From my point of view, they can either make a little profit, or none at all. I'll continue to use a different SIM on the many trips I make overseas. I'm sure others will as well.

If enough people do that in the long run, they will end up losing more.

DAS131

Reaction score
i could use some help. i'm travelling to the UK for a couple of days next week. this is my first trip to europe since getting my d2 global, . i'm going to be hitting the ground running, and really won't have time to buy a local prepaid sim, so i'm trying to figure out which global data plan to buy.

in the states, my typical monthly data usage is somwhere around 600 meg, including web browsing and streaming music an hour or so a day. while i'm in the uk, i'll really only be using the data for email. on an average day I probably receive 40-50 emails, and maybe send 20. I'm wondering if i can get away with not springing for the $100 plan.

any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated for this noob. thanks.

Snow02

Reaction score
You just need to look up local rates. Worse comes to worse you can grab a mifi from xcom global. It's $18/day for unlimited usage. It's somewhat steep, but if you're not traveling alone the cost becomes very reasonable.

saildroid

Reaction score

Sent from my DROIDX

I don't think any of us really has data what the marginal cost is for this so no point to speculate.

However, there is another aspect to that. If VZW is trying to attract frequent travellers (as an alternative to RIM), they would be well advised to offer some program like this. For instance, I will be going to Italy for a week on Monday. But this is likely the only time I go to that country in this year. Earlier this year, I was in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. In a few weeks, I will go to France and in July to Sweden.

Yes, I could find out where to get a SIM card in each of these places, go out of my way and purchase it etc. Or I could buy a local phone each time (nearly the same price). But this is surely not my first choice. If I could have a reasonably priced access plan that works without all these hassles, that would surely be preferable.

Having the Global Access plan at VZW was for me the reason why I bought my D2G in the first place. Less than a month after I bought it and less than 2 weeks after they confirmed IN WRITING that I could use the plan anytime I wanted, for as long as I wanted it, they cancelled it.

I am now stuck with the D2G (which I lovedancedroid) and VZW (which I am otherwise quite happy with but surely not with respect to the Global Access plan). However, when the time comes, I will think long and hard whether to renew my contract.

sh00t3r

Reaction score
I'm all for "hitting the ground running". But there are plenty of places in the airport where you can buy a SIM card. You can make the purchase in 5 minutes and be out the door. Furthermore, the data charges you incur from email are just the tip of the iceberg. Even when turning off background data, expect to use double of what you anticipate.

sh00t3r

Reaction score
Good point on the speculation. I guess I'm a little biased too being that I've been with Verizon well before they were Verizon. I wonder what the other providers offer. From some of the research I did, seems like Sprint axed their unlimited plan late last year.

saildroid

Reaction score
I'm all for "hitting the ground running". But there are plenty of places in the airport where you can buy a SIM card. You can make the purchase in 5 minutes and be out the door. Furthermore, the data charges you incur from email are just the tip of the iceberg. Even when turning off background data, expect to use double of what you anticipate.

Yes, and this is what I may end up doing. But I would prefer NOT having to do it. If you have a Blackberry, when you get off the plane in some random airport, you don't expect having to find a place where to buy (yet) another SIM card before you can even call someone. You just use the darn thing.

Also, from my experience it is not THAT easy, like plopping in a card and you are good to go. If you are not a mobile telephone wiz (which I am not and have no intention to become), you need someone to set it up for you. Only takes a few minutes assuming you find someone who knows what they are doing...

DAS131

Reaction score
Yes, and this is what I may end up doing. But I would prefer NOT having to do it. If you have a Blackberry, when you get off the plane in some random airport, you don't expect having to find a place where to buy (yet) another SIM card before you can even call someone. You just use the darn thing.

Also, from my experience it is not THAT easy, like plopping in a card and you are good to go. If you are not a mobile telephone wiz (which I am not and have no intention to become), you need someone to set it up for you. Only takes a few minutes assuming you find someone who knows what they are doing...

+1, i feel exactly the same way as you do. the main reason i purchased this phone was for it's "global" capability. i'm taking a red eye to the uk, and if i'm lucky i'll have enough time for a shower before my first meeting. the last thing i want to have to deal with is trying to figure out a way to get my phone to work.

sh00t3r

Reaction score

Oh brotha I hear ya on the hassle thing. Even if you don't have the master elite phone skills, setting up the new SIM isn't too big of a deal.

1. Get your SIM unlock code before you leave from verizon
2. Get to UK, plop in the new SIM, enter unlock code, and voila. That should be it.

You may have to enter an APN, Access Point Network. Which will direct your phone on where it goes to get data/internet. And that info should be provided when you buy your SIM. Some more info that hopefully helps...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/129800-going-international-needs-advice.html

silver6054

Reaction score

Oh brotha I hear ya on the hassle thing. Even if you don't have the master elite phone skills, setting up the new SIM isn't too big of a deal.

1. Get your SIM unlock code before you leave from verizon
2. Get to UK, plop in the new SIM, enter unlock code, and voila. That should be it.

You may have to enter an APN, Access Point Network. Which will direct your phone on where it goes to get data/internet. And that info should be provided when you buy your SIM. Some more info that hopefully helps...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/129800-going-international-needs-advice.html
Clearly the "easiest" thing to do is to get the Verizon Europe package, and pay the $100. But probably expect overage charges, as 70MB isn't at all much, and this is a real rip-off!

The UK is an easy place to get SIMs. For example, from vending machines in the airport, or from say CarfoneWarehouse stores, you can get Talkmobile SIMs, 25p for 25MB per day, calls to the US 7p (about 11c) per minute. Lots of other choices from Orange, Vodafone etc. Setting up the APN needs about 10 pieces of information, got from the carrier's web sites before you go, or from the store where you buy the SIM.

Just a question of cost vs convenience, it's REALLY not hard at all, but if you are jet lagged and the cost isn't so important, then use the provided SIM. But to do that: call global services before you leave and make sure that they activate the SIM! Lots of posts here where that didn't happen.

beeray

Reaction score
What can be the best way to avoid from expensive roaming charges while traveling to the different countries? Any Idea Please? I am traveling to several countries for business purpose but always face bitter experience of expensive bill while coming back to home country.....

I bought a plan from vz, $25 for 100mb. Was fine for me