VZW Stopped the OTA

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by Froyo, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Froyo

Froyo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    A tech support rep from VZW just informed me they've halted the ICS OTA for Droid 4 because of software issues he didn't specify. Just thought I'd give everyone still waiting the heads up.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. alex94kumar

alex94kumar New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Froyo

Froyo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    That's me, actually. Still treat this is as a rumor until others can verify.

4. alex94kumar

alex94kumar New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    haha, had no idea! and yeah, could be a rumor, sometimes there is bad communication between corporate and tech support

5. standard101

standard101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the System Update option on my phone has been "Not available at this time" since Tuesday night, so it's disabled altogether for over 24 hours now.

6. cdipier2

cdipier2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine says "Your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time" maybe there is something wrong with your phone

7. Froyo

Froyo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Try switching to wifi, then hitting "update system." You still won't see an update available, but it might go from saying that the service is unavailable, to saying the system is up to date. If that's the case, then you likely have tweaked your settings to only download certain updates when connected to wifi for data and/or power conservation. This happened to me as well. I specified those settings when I first got the phone, then sort of forgot about them.

8. standard101

standard101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    interesting, until Tuesday afternoon it was saying it's up to date and since Tuesday night it said service was unavailable. i'll try your suggestions, not that i'm expecting the updates now. thanks.

9. jaydabeast

jaydabeast New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its probably due to it bricking phones. Got mine Monday afternoon. Completely killed the battery that day...expectedly. Wouldnt charge for a LONG time. Finally did that evening. Got it back on and seemed to be working fine.

Tuesday I leave my house, phone is off charger from 9 til about 4. Phone died again. Tried to charge. Wouldnt take a charge for hours. Finally got to 15% and tried to turn phone on. It made the droid sound and then got stuck on the rotating red eye. Stayed there and is still there. Went to Vz that night and the tech couldnt do a thing with it. My replacement came in Wed morning.

Looked great while it was working. Figured it was too good to be true.

10. outsid0r

outsid0r Member

Ratings:
    +1
    well if that was the case there would be more reported issues, there are always ones that brick with updates so its too soon to say that would be why with you being the only one to report this.

11. rafterman414

rafterman414 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I called VZW tech support a couple hours ago because the update was not working and they did not mention anything about it being halted, but it probably depends on which tech you speak with.

I am not sure if this has ever worked before but the guy I spoke with did tell me that performing a factory reset can sometimes trigger the upgrade. I didn't have anything on there that I could not live without or easily re-install so I tried the factory reset and it did not work either.

12. jaydabeast

jaydabeast New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just because you don't see it posted in a forum, doesn't mean it's not happening. Fact of the matter is he said I wasn't the only one that had the issue and wasn't the first he'd seen about it that day. For you to think the only way issues are confirmed is through a forum is crazy.

For an unrooted phone with no issues previously to crash a day after an update...even if I didn't work IT it would be easy to figure out what the issue was.

If you want to defend the update by all means go ahead but fact is it is pulled and even if a select few users had hardware issues, that's one too many.

13. jaydabeast

jaydabeast New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The odd thing was the day I got it I tried it on the another droid 4 we use for our after hr support and it didn't pull it and hasn't yet. I was sent a new phone. Did the factory reset and still haven't received it yet either.

14. outsid0r

outsid0r Member

Ratings:
    +1
    you do know that all tech support is trained to be empathetic to your issues and do their best to keep you calm and relaxed? im not saying its not happening but as its been seen before on other devices that if the OTA was causing mass amounts of bricks the internet wouldve done its normal explosion of people saying its happening to them. i am not here to defend the update as ive been on 217 since it was leaked and did not take it over the air.

15. orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    All those who've been running the 217 leak have had no problems, so I'm wondering if the problem is with updating the phone itself and it's not 217 that's the problem.

Or maybe the problem was a "software issue" with who got the update, i.e. non-testers getting it.

Search tags for this page
motorola.vzw.vmm stopped working

vzw service has stopped

vzw service has stopped working samsung tablet
vzwas service has stopped
vzwav service has stopped
vzwavesservice has stopped
vzwavservice has stopped
vzwavsserice has stopped
vzwavsservice has stopped
vzwwavsservice has stopped