VZW Rep/General Account Questions only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDROIDJ

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Moto Z Force
Saw on Phonedog that Motorolla was sending out a survey regarding the OG Droids. Anyone know what it is about?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Saw on Phonedog that Motorolla was sending out a survey regarding the OG Droids. Anyone know what it is about?
I know id be a happy dude if they released ginerbread. :) but i guess my head is in the clouds their. probably just a security update thats got all the news site all wild up.

markwebb

Reaction score
Quick question for a new user (not me, someone else!); does using a GPS function like Google Maps count against your Verizon data allotment? If one went on a long trip, it could easily exceed many MB's in one day, correct? If GPS doesn't utilize VZW data allotment, then what is utilized?

Last edited:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Quick question for a new user (not me, someone else!); does using a GPS function like Google Maps count against your Verizon data allotment? If one went on a long trip, it could easily exceed 2GB in one day, correct? If GPS doesn't utilize VZW data allotment, then what is utilized?
gps doesn't use nearly that much, but yes it is definitely taking away from you monthly allotment. if your going through 2gb on maps a day then id say their is a problem with something.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Quick question for a new user (not me, someone else!); does using a GPS function like Google Maps count against your Verizon data allotment? If one went on a long trip, it could easily exceed many MB's in one day, correct? If GPS doesn't utilize VZW data allotment, then what is utilized?
GPS doesn't use any data. The google maps do though, when pulling in new map area data. I don't believe it's possible to travel so much that you would affect your 2 GB data limit.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
GPS doesn't use any data. The google maps do though, when pulling in new map area data. I don't believe it's possible to travel so much that you would affect your 2 GB data limit.
right gps alone wont use data but our phones use data to load the maps. and i just tested my phone. with it loading and finding my spot and such through heavy scrolling and i got about 1.5mb in about 5 minutes. 60min/5min=12. 12*1.5= is like 18mb. if an hour is around 18mb then 18*24 is 432mb. And thats heavy loading for a full 24 hours. Data also can depend on how many filters you have on the map, the more stuff you make it load the more data.

markwebb

Reaction score
right gps alone wont use data but our phones use data to load the maps. and i just tested my phone. with it loading and finding my spot and such through heavy scrolling and i got about 1.5mb in about 5 minutes. 60min/5min=12. 12*1.5= is like 18mb. if an hour is around 18mb then 18*24 is 432mb. And thats heavy loading for a full 24 hours. Data also can depend on how many filters you have on the map, the more stuff you make it load the more data.

That sounds about right. The VZW in-store rep told my friend if he were on the 4GB data plan and he averaged 30 min PER day using Google Maps, he could easily exceed 4GB in one month.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well i dont see that happening... 1.5mb every 5 min 1.5*6=9mb. So 9mb a day 9*31=279mb. youd have to have lots and lots of layers on the map to exceed 4gb at 30min per day. if you used it at 2 hours a day thats like 72mb(in my head) it would be just over 2gb in 31 days.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well i dont see that happening... 1.5mb every 5 min 1.5*6=9mb. So 9mb a day 9*31=279mb. youd have to have lots and lots of layers on the map to exceed 4gb at 30min per day. if you used it at 2 hours a day thats like 72mb(in my head) it would be just over 2gb in 31 days.
this is assuming my 1.5mb every 5min is right of course. not exactly exact on my timing. lol it was about... im sure someone could get more exact on the averages.

rayr0d

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading to a 4G phone when my New Every Two comes up in April of 2012. Will I still be able to keep my unlimited data plan? I've had it for a long time. I ask because when I played around with upgrade on my account site, it looked like it wouldn't be compatible with the 4G plans

Those on the unlimited plans will be grandfathered when they upgrade their phone. I have yet to here of any change to date on that policy.

Yes - only if you renew to a phone that does not require the smartphone plans aka 'Feature phones'.. will you lose the plan once the 14 day return policy has passed.

FYI - if your smartphone breaks or you lose it and all you have is a basic phone to get you by until you get a replacement, NO WORRIES - you will still be able to retain the unlimited plan once you reactivate a smartphone - not sure if there is a time allotment - just ask customer service should you require time to get a replacement.

New Every Two - an iconic program of VZW - officially gone for good once those that still have use it ....

tituswife

Reaction score
Those on the unlimited plans will be grandfathered when they upgrade their phone. I have yet to here of any change to date on that policy.

Yes - only if you renew to a phone that does not require the smartphone plans aka 'Feature phones'.. will you lose the plan once the 14 day return policy has passed.

FYI - if your smartphone breaks or you lose it and all you have is a basic phone to get you by until you get a replacement, NO WORRIES - you will still be able to retain the unlimited plan once you reactivate a smartphone - not sure if there is a time allotment - just ask customer service should you require time to get a replacement.

New Every Two - an iconic program of VZW - officially gone for good once those that still have use it ....

Is that for sure, because a rep told me my backup phone would also need to be a smartphone, to keep the unlimited data.

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is that for sure, because a rep told me my backup phone would also need to be a smartphone, to keep the unlimited data.

No, you have like a few weeks to get a smartphone. My D1 broke, i had to use my old EnV which is on a simple plan. I still have unlimited data with my new D1. You just cant be on a simple plan for very long. Customer Service knows not everyone has another smartphone for backups. Thats just logical. :p They will work with you.

tituswife

Reaction score
Yes, it is logical. But, not having full faith in Verizon, I keep my D2 in working order!

Thank you for that information.

rayr0d

Reaction score

Yes it is - I had to deal with a situation today - Customer lost her Droid, has unlimited all she had is a basic phone to use, called Customer Support with her and confirmed that when she gets her replacement, she will still have the unlimited sp package. I have yet to experience otherwise, but wouldn't be surprised if in the near future it becomes just that - smartphone only replacement or lose the unlimited plan.

rayr0d

Reaction score
No, you have like a few weeks to get a smartphone. My D1 broke, i had to use my old EnV which is on a simple plan. I still have unlimited data with my new D1. You just cant be on a simple plan for very long. Customer Service knows not everyone has another smartphone for backups. Thats just logical. :p They will work with you.

Indeed - in most cases they are flexible and reasonable. But of course there are limitations to what they tolerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.