VZW Rep/General Account Questions only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joker402

Reaction score
Thank you for creating this thread! I didn't need it til now, but here it goes:

I currently have a palm pre plus and a motorola droid. I haven't and wont messed around with my palm, for what it is the device stands alone wonderfully. But i will say (to a verizon employee, who even tho is not the cell phone police i still feel hesitant to say) that i have become quite savvy in rooting and modding and cranking out everything my droid has to offer me (all in the legal ways of course). if there's something my droid can do, i'll get it to do so.

My question is: can i cut all my ties between the droid and verizon, so that it's essentially just an android enabled device, and then proceed to connect it to my palm's mobile hot spot and put to use my knowledge of how to get around the fact that it's not technically a phone? Things like using skype, handcent sms, 3rd party browsers like dolphin for web, rom manager, continue to play online games, or use google voice for any other phone calls i MAY need to make (where im going with this is that i want to use my palm as the phone, and my droid as my android toy, and not pony up $80 a month for the 2 plans, and stick with just the one)

OR

will my worst thoughts of what could happen be true where even though i connect my google account to the droid just fine, the simple fact that it's no longer associated with Verizon and can't find it leave it to be a glorified brick that will now never update an app, and probably break most of them? The GPS no longer even looks for a signal to send to anything asking for location because of the absence of verizon? The WiFi capabilities severed and therefore not connect to the palm in the first place? Will the market work??

I guess i may have gone a tad overkill on the details when really my question is more simply this: Does my droid need to get its data from verizon specifically, or can i ask verizon to polity remove itself from the scene and feed my droid the nectar of life that is data from another source (in this case my verizon enabled palm pre plus with 3g mobile hotspot) and have essentially the same exact phone? (btw i wouldnt even need to touch the droid's "phone" app anymore since i'd RATHER use my palm for that anyway).

Thanks in advance for any info you have!!

edit: if it makes a difference in where this might get hung up or run smooth, im not actually canceling anything with verizon. i have an old no-data-required phone that i would switch my droids service over to, and then lower it to the minimum coverage plan.
So you want to use your palm to power your droid over wifi, sure just pay the ETF or do what ever you got to do to stop the service on the Droid and your good to go.

Tho If i were you id use wifi tether and use the palm on wifi. I mean overall the droid will do more than the palm but thats what I would do.

neccoguy21

Reaction score
So you want to use your palm to power your droid over wifi, sure just pay the ETF or do what ever you got to do to stop the service on the Droid and your good to go.

Tho If i were you id use wifi tether and use the palm on wifi. I mean overall the droid will do more than the palm but thats what I would do.[/QUOTE]

I've mulled it over quite a bit and i've come to the conclusion that im just not as popular as i once was. i lay around with my girlfriend all day doin jack, and exchange a text or two with my only 3 friends to come over and hang out. i dont have the 3 hour text marathons i used to nor do i even hardly get 2 phone calls on any given regular normal day. the 3 phone lines combined on my plan (2 i use, one for my mom) only have 100 and something minutes used towards the end of the month.

it leaves me having to fumble through all my apps and roms and themes i haven't fixed or remembered the layout yet just to use my phone as a phone on the rare occasion that i need to. i do more factory resets on my droid a week than id like to count and i dont always need all my system data or app settings recovered just to test a new rom and then factory reset again 3 hours later.

that leaves me with a really fun toy for everything else except the cool stuff that happens or cool apps you take the time to set up for the random times the phone comes in to play. not to mention that i could be testing a rom that has broken the phone function all together, leaving me to miss a call if i was to get one. and if i hear "DRO-DROID!" one more time because of handcent and the messaging app both notifying me at the same time for a text since i failed to redo and recover all my settings to fix that, ill die. i never have my custom ringtones and fun apps set up when i really need to use my phone, and that just bums me out.

anytime i need to use the palm as my phone tho, everything is where it should be, my custom ringtones are always there, simply because i leave the damn thing alone; unlike my droid. and its just intuitively easier to use as a phone than the droid.

Just so im clear: in theory, my droid will run just fine for anything except verizon exclusive events (such as a standard phone call or text from the stock app.) as long as it has a suitable wifi connection?

THANK YOU AGAIN!

joem1481

Reaction score
I have had a bunch of texts saying "sending" on my droid 1 for hours. Different people different types of texts but still texts are barely getting through, taking hours. If verizon expereincing a problem. It seems I get textrs in a timely manner but sending them is not going well.

joker402

Reaction score

Tho If i were you id use wifi tether and use the palm on wifi. I mean overall the droid will do more than the palm but thats what I would do.

I've mulled it over quite a bit and i've come to the conclusion that im just not as popular as i once was. i lay around with my girlfriend all day doin jack, and exchange a text or two with my only 3 friends to come over and hang out. i dont have the 3 hour text marathons i used to nor do i even hardly get 2 phone calls on any given regular normal day. the 3 phone lines combined on my plan (2 i use, one for my mom) only have 100 and something minutes used towards the end of the month.

it leaves me having to fumble through all my apps and roms and themes i haven't fixed or remembered the layout yet just to use my phone as a phone on the rare occasion that i need to. i do more factory resets on my droid a week than id like to count and i dont always need all my system data or app settings recovered just to test a new rom and then factory reset again 3 hours later.

that leaves me with a really fun toy for everything else except the cool stuff that happens or cool apps you take the time to set up for the random times the phone comes in to play. not to mention that i could be testing a rom that has broken the phone function all together, leaving me to miss a call if i was to get one. and if i hear "DRO-DROID!" one more time because of handcent and the messaging app both notifying me at the same time for a text since i failed to redo and recover all my settings to fix that, ill die. i never have my custom ringtones and fun apps set up when i really need to use my phone, and that just bums me out.

anytime i need to use the palm as my phone tho, everything is where it should be, my custom ringtones are always there, simply because i leave the damn thing alone; unlike my droid. and its just intuitively easier to use as a phone than the droid.

Just so im clear: in theory, my droid will run just fine for anything except verizon exclusive events (such as a standard phone call or text from the stock app.) as long as it has a suitable wifi connection?

THANK YOU AGAIN![/QUOTE]Idk how you would do text over wifi. I mean it can be done with google voice, kik messebge, chomp sms and acouple others. I just know of it will show your number or not.

aga11ah

Reaction score
ok.. here's my problem. I recently bought a Droid 2 (with 2 year contract) .... I was planning to get the X the entire time, but of course they are out of stock. so I got the Droid 2 and was planning to pay the restock fee to change my mind within 30 days and get the X....

now that the X seems impossible to get and the day it's getting back in stock at verizon seems to get pushed back more each day.... it's probably going to be past my 30 day window by the time they come in.

so my question is.. how do I make sure I don't get screwed over by not getting a real chance to switch phones due to it not being available.... is there a rain check type thing I could do or what?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok.. here's my problem. I recently bought a Droid 2 (with 2 year contract) .... I was planning to get the X the entire time, but of course they are out of stock. so I got the Droid 2 and was planning to pay the restock fee to change my mind within 30 days and get the X....

now that the X seems impossible to get and the day it's getting back in stock at verizon seems to get pushed back more each day.... it's probably going to be past my 30 day window by the time they come in.

so my question is.. how do I make sure I don't get screwed over by not getting a real chance to switch phones due to it not being available.... is there a rain check type thing I could do or what?

Was this an upgrade or new service?

joker402

Reaction score
30 days is 30 days, we got in a big mess one day because an employe of ours said we can do a rain check. Its against policy, that employee almost lost his job and our store took a huge hit for honoring it. They advised next person to do an exchange past the 30 day mark is in serious trouble. Try cs but im almost certain no store will do anything past the 30 days.

vzwtek

Reaction score
Was this an upgrade or new service?

new service.

If you play it cool, customer service will probably do it, how long ago did you get the other phone?

If you are within the 30 days, and want to exchange it for that phone, its going to be no problem, they will exchange it for the x, you will just have to wait. (SUUUUUCK!!!!!)

"30 days is 30 days, we got in a big mess one day because an employe of ours said we can do a rain check. Its against policy, that employee almost lost his job and our store took a huge hit for honoring it. They advised next person to do an exchange past the 30 day mark is in serious trouble. Try cs but im almost certain no store will do anything past the 30 days."

That is the biggest load I have ever heard crapped out of someones mouth. Not that I dont believe the store, I cannot even fathom that a DM, much less a store manager would be stupid enough to not allow a customer to do a refund exchange on a constrained product. Especially one you entice the customer to purchase and then tell them they have a lengthy wait to get it, and that their 30 days was up a week into getting the phone.

And by the way, 30 days is never 30 days. WE DO NOT LIVE IN A WORLD OF FAIRNESS!!! Sorry, its just reality.

And if any store manager gives you sh$t for it, feel free to tell them this.

"So rather than honoring the 30 days on a product you are going to make me wait 4 weeks for. You would rather me walk outside, contact customer service, get the name and number of your district manager, contact that district manager, and talk to the supervisor of the call center. Which one of them will grant me that out of 30 day return, because its good business. So now you have wasted my time, your time, your DM's time, who will be pissed that she\he had to be contacted about this, and a Call center supervisors time. OOOORRR, crazy idea, I've never asked anything from this company, you could just get me the phone that you enticed me in to get, and we wont have any problems. I'll walk out smiling, you'll be smiling. And everyone is happy. Pick your battles."

joker402

Reaction score
Its diffrent on the indirect side man. She wanted incredible, we time her best possible way was to order y online because we couldn't get them in and that that way she was guaranteed to have one by the date that it said on the website. We are taking a huge hit because she kept the ally. We advised her if wanted the phone how and where to get it and how our policy worked. In the end she decided against ordering online and went with a purchase at our store. We are exchanging it for an incredible as a one time thing but its a slap in the face to the customers that stay with in the 30 days.

Idk what else you want me to say but that's why I said to contact CS because it pro my wont happen at a store.

vzwtek

Reaction score
Its diffrent on the indirect side man. She wanted incredible, we time her best possible way was to order y online because we couldn't get them in and that that way she was guaranteed to have one by the date that it said on the website. We are taking a huge hit because she kept the ally. We advised her if wanted the phone how and where to get it and how our policy worked. In the end she decided against ordering online and went with a purchase at our store. We are exchanging it for an incredible as a one time thing but its a slap in the face to the customers that stay with in the 30 days.

Idk what else you want me to say but that's why I said to contact CS because it pro my wont happen at a store.

OHHHHH!!! My apologies, lol. Indirect is a different world unfortunately, you guys buy your own equipment, getting your new stuff replaced by vzw is a huge pain in the butt. If it were a corporate store, thats where my rant would have gone well. But you guys hands are tied. It is usually easier to get an exchange through cs, because it does not require you return the original unit. They have a way of sending you the new unit and sending back the old one in the system.

Again, my apologies.

xxwake4lifexx

Reaction score
I've got a few questions here. Back in mid-April I bought the Droid 1. It was a 2-year extension and this was an upgrade from the LG Dare. Once the Droid Incredible came out, I almost went back to Verizon to pay the restocking fee and get that phone instead. I decided to stick with my Droid 1. Ever since the 2.2 update has come out my phone has been super buggy. I had little problems here and there before, but nothing that would really upset me. Now I have extreme redraw problems all the time. The phone won't recognize my initial swipes across the screen sometimes. It usually takes 1 or 2 swipes before it moves. Since I first bought the phone the headset jack has been funky. If I barely touch the plug it messes up the sound and only comes out one side of the ear buds or stops all together. This is constantly messing up Pandora and my media player when listening to music. For some reason my battery cover doesn't properly fit any more and I don't know why. Its not bent on any of the connectors. One side sits flush with the phone and the other side doesn't so my battery cover comes off all the time when its in my pocket.

I don't know what kind of warranty Verizon will offer past 30 days. I'm under the impression they don't do anything for you. Is anything I described worth talking to someone at a corporate Verizon store? I know its been a few months, but I've only had the phone since mid-April.

Edit: And for some reason people are telling me sometimes they get like 2-3 of my text messages when I only send one. Sometimes I receive 2-3 messages of other people's text messages. I don't know what's going on.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've got a few questions here. Back in mid-April I bought the Droid 1. It was a 2-year extension and this was an upgrade from the LG Dare. Once the Droid Incredible came out, I almost went back to Verizon to pay the restocking fee and get that phone instead. I decided to stick with my Droid 1. Ever since the 2.2 update has come out my phone has been super buggy. I had little problems here and there before, but nothing that would really upset me. Now I have extreme redraw problems all the time. The phone won't recognize my initial swipes across the screen sometimes. It usually takes 1 or 2 swipes before it moves. Since I first bought the phone the headset jack has been funky. If I barely touch the plug it messes up the sound and only comes out one side of the ear buds or stops all together. This is constantly messing up Pandora and my media player when listening to music. For some reason my battery cover doesn't properly fit any more and I don't know why. Its not bent on any of the connectors. One side sits flush with the phone and the other side doesn't so my battery cover comes off all the time when its in my pocket.

I don't know what kind of warranty Verizon will offer past 30 days. I'm under the impression they don't do anything for you. Is anything I described worth talking to someone at a corporate Verizon store? I know its been a few months, but I've only had the phone since mid-April.

Edit: And for some reason people are telling me sometimes they get like 2-3 of my text messages when I only send one. Sometimes I receive 2-3 messages of other people's text messages. I don't know what's going on.

Motorola (not Verizon) warranties your phone for one year. The 30 days are simply a DOA period. As long as you're not rooted, take it back. You may even get a Droid 2 as a replacement.

xxwake4lifexx

Reaction score

I don't know what kind of warranty Verizon will offer past 30 days. I'm under the
impression they don't do anything for you. Is anything I described worth talking to someone at a corporate Verizon store? I know its been a few months, but I've only had the phone since mid-April.

Motorola (not Verizon) warranties your phone for one year. The 30 days are simply a DOA period. As long as you're not rooted, take it back. You may even get a Droid 2 as a replacement.

So take the phone back to Motorola or take it to the Verizon store?

Status
Not open for further replies.