VZW Rep/General Account Questions only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I called Tech support today to find out what kind of fixes I could get for my Droid 1 which was locking up during phone calls. The tech said one of the phones on our plan was available for an early upgrade, so I went with the Droid 2. Only problem is the phone that was upgraded is not a smartphone. and the tech said I have to switch that number to the Droid 2 to prevent the full price from being charged.

How do I go about activating it, and then deactivating it so that I can put the Droid 1 number on it, without being charged the full price of a Droid 2?

Your post is slightly confusing, but I think I understand what you're trying to do.

You need to accept the contract extension on the line you used the upgrade on. When you get your phone there will be instructions with an 877 number to dial from a landline to accept the terms and conditions of the contract extension for the upgrade. You call that, follow the instructions as if you were putting that phone on the line you used the upgrade on, right up until the end where it asks "To activate phone on this line now, press one. To activate later, press two" Choose to activate later. Then, from the droid 2, dial *228, choose option 1 at the voice prompt, and put in the number you want that phone to actually be on.

Hope that's not too confusing. If all else fails, you can always call customer service for help.

Exactly what you need to do! Next time, just do an alternate upgrade and you won't have this problem again as you'll be using just the eligibility of one line to upgrade another line..should save you ALOT of headache in the future!

Graywolfscv

Reaction score
I called Tech support today to find out what kind of fixes I could get for my Droid 1 which was locking up during phone calls. The tech said one of the phones on our plan was available for an early upgrade, so I went with the Droid 2. Only problem is the phone that was upgraded is not a smartphone. and the tech said I have to switch that number to the Droid 2 to prevent the full price from being charged.

How do I go about activating it, and then deactivating it so that I can put the Droid 1 number on it, without being charged the full price of a Droid 2?

Your post is slightly confusing, but I think I understand what you're trying to do.

You need to accept the contract extension on the line you used the upgrade on. When you get your phone there will be instructions with an 877 number to dial from a landline to accept the terms and conditions of the contract extension for the upgrade. You call that, follow the instructions as if you were putting that phone on the line you used the upgrade on, right up until the end where it asks "To activate phone on this line now, press one. To activate later, press two" Choose to activate later. Then, from the droid 2, dial *228, choose option 1 at the voice prompt, and put in the number you want that phone to actually be on.

Hope that's not too confusing. If all else fails, you can always call customer service for help.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try that when the phone gets here on Monday. Let me see if I can explain it a little better so I can make sure I don't screw this up then. There are 3 phones on 2 separate plans on the bill. Phone 1 and 2 are on a family plan for just calls, no data or texting. Phone 3 is the Droid. Phone 1 was available to upgrade to a new 2 year smartphone plan, while Phone 3 was not. The tech I spoke to on Friday night, and the in-store rep I spoke to last night, said all I had to do on Monday was activate Phone 1 on the Droid 2, shut it off, reactivate the old device that was being used, and then the Droid 2 could be activated on Phone 3's line.

The only problem is the owners of Phone 1 and 2 do not want data, texting or anything else on the phone but the ability to call. The tech said that the Droid 2 HAD to be activated on Phone 1's line to avoid a $600 charge to the credit card.

I just wanted to make sure the Tech and the in-store rep told me right so that I can avoid having the data plan on Phone 1 and 2's lines, and NOT have to pay the $600 charge for the Droid 2.

Graywolfscv

Reaction score

Exactly what you need to do! Next time, just do an alternate upgrade and you won't have this problem again as you'll be using just the eligibility of one line to upgrade another line..should save you ALOT of headache in the future!

I asked the tech when I was on the phone if I could do that, and he said do to the terms of the upgrade, that wasn't possible.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

I asked the tech when I was on the phone if I could do that, and he said do to the terms of the upgrade, that wasn't possible.

Same account?

Graywolfscv

Reaction score
Same account, 2 different plans.

My number is the smartphone plan, while the number that was upgraded is just a family share calling plan. No data, texting, or anything.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

My number is the smartphone plan, while the number that was upgraded is just a family share calling plan. No data, texting, or anything.

Shouldn't have mattered as long as its the same account, I do it all day! The only thing that has anything to do with the other phones is their eligibility and contract. Even IF data shows up on line 1, its a feature that could easily be taken off.

W

warp

I'm starting college in about a week and I heard about student discounts. How would I go about getting one and how much is the discount?

kb1234

Reaction score
My new (just recieved 5 Aug) droid x camera button fell off. Just noticed it yesterday. Now Im told I have to file a claim (under verizon) and with $90 I will recieve a new phone. Then when my old phone is verified by tech and they say I caused the button to fall off.... I will be charged $600. Ive only had the phone 3 weeks. The button cant be that $$. Where can I get help to replace the button? It appears to just snap on.

Graywolfscv

Reaction score

Shouldn't have mattered as long as its the same account, I do it all day! The only thing that has anything to do with the other phones is their eligibility and contract. Even IF data shows up on line 1, its a feature that could easily be taken off.

Just so I make sure I'm clear on this, to avoid paying the $600 I was told I'd be charged by NOT activating the Droid 2 on Phone 1, I just call the 877 number and go up to the point of activating the phone, tell it activate later, and then activate the Droid 2 on the line that the Droid 1 is using?

Sorry for the constant checking, I just don't want to pay the out of contract price for the phone.

joker402

Reaction score
Look activate the d2 on the line you upgraded. Then go to the my Verizon web page and click the activate phone link and put the old flip phone from that line back on the same line the d2 is. That frees up the droid 2 so u can put it on the line droid 1 is capishee? It doesn't get any simpler than that. There is no way NOT to activate it on the line that it was upgraded on.., the system wont let you activate it anywhere else untill it goes on that line first. The data fee will drop off once the phone is removed. No where im the contract says the phone has to stay on any line only that a line must have a phone attached at all times.

If you still don't get it go to a store and have them do it.

vzwtek

Reaction score
I'm starting college in about a week and I heard about student discounts. How would I go about getting one and how much is the discount?

It may count on market, I havent heard of any discounts for students as of yet. Not that they dont possibly exist.

vzwtek

Reaction score
My question is, if I had an account that was closed (and still owe money on it) that had my Droid on it, am I able add a line to another account and use my Droid?
You could if you are able to con a customer service rep to activating an old phone to that line that was disconnected due to bill, that will free up that droid esn, just know that the droid will probably not carry a warranty. The esn is only blacklisted as long as it is the active esn on the written off account.

vzwtek

Reaction score
My new (just recieved 5 Aug) droid x camera button fell off. Just noticed it yesterday. Now Im told I have to file a claim (under verizon) and with $90 I will recieve a new phone. Then when my old phone is verified by tech and they say I caused the button to fall off.... I will be charged $600. Ive only had the phone 3 weeks. The button cant be that $$. Where can I get help to replace the button? It appears to just snap on.

Shennanigans, dont listen to what they say. Call the warranty department at 18664065154. tell them about the button, and that you didnt drop it or anything and that the store told you that, and that you dont feel that you should have to pay for a phone with no physical damage, and that a .67$ piece of plastic popped off of it. They will probably give you a clnr, which is fine, if you get any other static, pm me.

ejklapperichjr

Reaction score
Ok, I have a droid 1 that isn't working. I went into a verizon store yesterday and we called verizon and they determined I need a warranty replacement. But they said they don't have any left and won't have any more. They then said they are determining what they are going to do about droid 1 warranty replacements this week sometime, i.e. what alternatives they are going to offer. Which means I'm supposed to wait until the end of the week to call back and see what my options are. We even called the corporate store in town to see if they had any replacement droids in stock, and they didn't.

Does this sound right? Or should I call again to see if they have some more droid's in stock? I've read that they just run out of stock until they get more in. I'm stuck with a loaner phone right now, but I want to know if I should try calling again or waiting. And I'm scared they're going to offer some crap downgrade that I don't want.

kb1234

Reaction score
Just got another rep told her I couldn't see paying $ 90 for a claim to fix a $.67 piece of plastic. This was the 4th person from verizon I have spoken with. Finally after 3 days verizon is replacing the phone. Motorola said this should have been done in the beginning and I quote....with no questions asked.... Thanks for your helps

Status
Not open for further replies.