VZW Galaxy S3: Bootloader Question, Unlockable?

IamBatman

Reaction score
The Sammy G S3 has a counter of sorts.
These past few years, Samsung has been very kind to us power users. We have been able to
modify most of our Galaxy series devices as much as we wanted, without silly roadblocks as
locked bootloaders and such.

With the Galaxy S II, Samsung introduced a custom kernel flash counter and custom kernel warning triangle.
On the Galaxy Note, Samsung tried hiding the data once more.On the Galaxy S III (among other new devices), Samsung has gone a step further, and has introduced a background service that runs on your device and checks for things such as a modified /system, apps running with root access, etc.

For the moment, this service does not do anything malicious, but who knows what the future will bring ? Tracking of IMEI's that have ever ran root, disabling of services, etc ?

OP
alquimista

alquimista

Reaction score
Soooo....

These past few years, Samsung has been very kind to us power users. We have been able to
modify most of our Galaxy series devices as much as we wanted, without silly roadblocks as

With the Galaxy S II, Samsung introduced a custom kernel flash counter and custom kernel warning triangle.
On the Galaxy Note, Samsung tried hiding the data once more.On the Galaxy S III (among other new devices), Samsung has gone a step further, and has introduced a background service that runs on your device and checks for things such as a modified /system, apps running with root access, etc.

For the moment, this service does not do anything malicious, but who knows what the future will bring ? Tracking of IMEI's that have ever ran root, disabling of services, etc ?

So, you're saying the bootloader is unlockable? Yes? No?

I'm not too worried about the background service that you mentioned, as I'm sure some generous genious out there will find a way to get rid of, or at least fool it into submission. I'm looking at you chainfire...

Anyhoo, I've read a few reviews of the AT&T version of the SGS3, but no one mentions the bootloader in a device review for some reason. Anyone seen a US version handset that is verifiably unlockable?

toodles!!
ALQI

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
alquimista said:
Yeah, that's kind of the problem. Frankly, I'd rather lose unlimited data and or pay full price for a device or even move to a different carrier if I can get an unlocked bootloader. I know, I know, I can get the Nexus and have a guaranteed unlockable bootloader, but I want more up to date specs than the Nexus offers and the freedom of custom ROM's, Kernels, and all that good stuff that comes with an unlocked or unlockable bootloader.

Basically, I want me some SGS3 cake and I want to eat it too.

ALQI
you can still keep your unlimited data package after June 28th, all you have to do is buy the phone outright, may it be from eBay craigslist or a friend, once you UPGRADE AT SUBSIDIZED price from Veutizon orany other Verizon authorized retailer your unlimited data is NO MORE. This has been discussed in these forums at least a couple of hundred times.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Would love to see some sources for the GS3 info.

OP
alquimista

alquimista

Reaction score
Update - stock firmware no root

Just wanted to update everyone.

It looks like there's a touch of a problem with flashing on the VZW model:
Verizon model is protected from flashing unsigned/modified boot.img and recovery.img. Which means there is no known root method as for now for SCH-I535. - AdamLange
[VIA] xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL] SCH-I535 (Galaxy S III VERIZON) ROOTED INSECURE KERNELS - IMPORTANT INFO!

So far there's no root method. And, I still haven't heard/read anything about unlocking the bootloader on the vzw variant. :mad:

I can't wait to get my SGS3, but I hope I don't have to return it...

OP
alquimista

alquimista

Reaction score
There's one very very special person out there that has a very interesting boot spalsh. See link below.

[via] xda-developers - View Single Post - Custom Unlock Icon on Boot, what does it mean?

Looks like Qualcom secureboot is enabled on the VZW SGS3 though. :angry:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom

QUALCOM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
[via] xda-developers - View Single Post - Custom Unlock Icon on Boot, what does it mean?

I'm not so familiar with Samsung phones, still have my OG Droid. But that "QUALCOM SECUREBOOT" looks ominous in a bad way.

OP
alquimista

alquimista

Reaction score
See ya on Monday

If I can't find any good news for the VZW SGS3 by EOD Monday, I'll probably have to go with the GNex or jump ship and go with AT&T or worse Sprint.

I'm still a bit shocked that Verizon got Samsung to lock up this flagship phone. There is some extra check that is added to the VZW variant of the phone, that will not allow unsigned boot.img to be flashed. From what I have read, and I've read way too much about this today, the VZW SGS3 is the only SGS3 that has this extra super fun roadblock to getting plain old root. Not to mention custom recovery, kernel, and full on ROMs.

I'll keep me fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath.

L8's
ALQI

Saryon

Reaction score
Jesus, Verizon is getting to be as bad as Apple! Glad I didn't wait for this turd... Guess it's time to take a good hard look at Sprint.

Thalinor

Reaction score
Repost from my XDA post.

I just got off the phone with Samsung Level II tech support. Verizon requested the bootloader be signed and encrypt
ed. They are the only carrier according to Samsung who made this request. The Level I tech I talked to had no clue so she transferred me to Level II who took about 10 minutes to research the issue and found a note in his system that specifically mentioned the Verizon signed/encrypted.

That's about as official of a reply as I could get. I was told if I wanted an unencrypted device I should go get an AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint device NOT Verizon. That's exactly what the rep said.

Next call is back to Verizon Corporate. I just talked to them again yesterday. Another angry voice mail in route.

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Repost from my XDA post.

I just got off the phone with Samsung Level II tech support. Verizon requested the bootloader be signed and encrypt
ed. They are the only carrier according to Samsung who made this request. The Level I tech I talked to had no clue so she transferred me to Level II who took about 10 minutes to research the issue and found a note in his system that specifically mentioned the Verizon signed/encrypted.

That's about as official of a reply as I could get. I was told if I wanted an unencrypted device I should go get an AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint device NOT Verizon. That's exactly what the rep said.

Next call is back to Verizon Corporate. I just talked to them again yesterday. Another angry voice mail in route.

I should call them (sammy) tomorrow. Actually I will.
What's the number?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2