Vzw galaxy nexus root thread

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you have a galaxy nexus and you are looking to get unlocked and rooted but need that one on one this thread is for you. Did something similar with my d2 and looking to do it again.

I will be using the adb method so ima post vids on how to get adb set up. To keep this thread from getting clogged with adb questions I will open another "how to set adb up".

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
closed until i get steps set up will reopen when done.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will be using droid-life article for my reference. How to: Unlock the Galaxy Nexus Bootloader – Droid Life

1) download fastboot.exe and put it in the sdk/tools (or platform tools) folder. The link below is the fastboot.exe from d-life site (thanks droid-life)
Place a fastboot.exe file in your SDK/Tools (or Platform-Tools) folder (same as your adb.exe file) if it is not there already. [Download]

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Before we begin make sure to copy your pictures music to your desktop computer just in case. Because unlocking the bootloader does a factory reset. I personally create a folder on my desktop that i name 'galaxy nexus sd card files" and I will copy my music, camera files, pictures from nexus to computer. Very important you do that step. If you do not do that step and you unlock your phone please do not cry in the thread that your files are gone because you were warned.

2) Go into settings> developer settings and make sure adb debugging is checked.

3) this will be a good time to verify adb is working SO with your phone plugged in type: adb devices (if it worked you should see a list of your device sn (you may have to do it multiple time or give your computer a few seconds to recognize the phone driver before typing).

4) Type the following: adb reboot bootloader

5) Type the following: fastboot oem unlock (you should get a warning screen use the volume key to scroll to yes and power button to select)

6) Click start your phone will do a factory wipe and reboot.

Ok now we have an unlocked bootloader :biggrin: next post will be how to root.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Let us get rooted :D Files for su.zip and an older version of cwr can be found here (prefer not to use that version of cwr since most devs ask you to update any way): How to: Root the Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE, Flash a Custom Recovery and Make a Backup [Verizon] – Droid Life

I will post 2 methods. One to root the current 4.04 and the next a quick fast cheating way:icon_ devil:.

Step 1: we are going to download a recovery image. For this tutorial I will be using the touch based clockwork recovery image (thanks Koush and the developers who worked on it). I find the recovery to be stable. So download the toro here: Touch Based ClockworkMod Recovery - [VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki

(If you prefer to use another recovery that is fine you can still follow along)

Step 2: Once you download the recovery image place it in sdk/tools (platform tools) folder (same place as adb.exe)

Step 3: Download su.zip and place in sdk/tools (platform tools) folder (same place as adb.exe)

With your phone connected to adb type: adb push su.zip /sdcard/ (this current su.zip will not work for imm76k sorry guys for the mistake please see post #8).

Next type: adb reboot bootloader

This is where I actually have to divert from the instructions and actually go into my sdk/tools (platform tools) folder right click and say "open a command prompt window here".If when following the steps below it gives you an error saying file do not exist or not recognized try following this step here.

Type: fastboot flash recovery (whatever-the-file-name-is).img
ex. fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img (it will probably be named recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.02-toro.img)

When it is done use the volume key to scroll to recovery mode and select it with power button.

Now while in recovery you can go ahead and do a nandroid backup now to backup your current unrooted set up. (optional)

Now lets install su.zip You will do that by touching (if you have touch based cwr) install zip from sd card > choose zip > install su.zip file.

You are now rooted with a TEMPORARY CUSTOM RECOVERY. Follow the steps below to make it permanent:

1. Install Root Explorer from the market and delete /system/reboot-from-recovery.p – *Mount as R/W first*
2. Reboot into Fastboot Mode: Power off your device and (Power + Volume Up and Down)
3. Flash CWM (the recovery you flashed before fastboot flash recovery (whatever you named your file).img)
4. Reboot into OS (fastboot reboot)
5. You now have CWM recovery permanently installed

Alternate method.

This is where I basically (cheated). Instead of installing su.zip and renaming recovery.. I just went ahead and flashed this: [ROM]IMM76K 4.0.4 Stock, rooted, deodex, busybox, zipalign + MODs - xda-developers

Now after you install that wipe data and reboot you should be good to go. But a good way to check is wait until you booted up (go into settings again and check usb debugging) go into adb and type the following: adb reboot recovery You should then boot into cwr (or what ever recovery you flashed). If it does not boot into recovery thefollow the above step to make recovery permanent.

OK those are your steps to get rooted I will be monitoring the thread to help. Please tell me what step you are stuck on so I can better help.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We are open for business.:biggrin:

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Forgot to update the su.zip doing that now sorry.:biggrin:

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Okay I am not sure if this version of su.zip is rooting imm76k or not if someone could check and let me know that would be good. https://www.box.com/s/jvcf196j7x8f8vrc9cyt this is from android central (http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...t/541587-verizon-imm76k-download-4-0-4-a.html post #37)

If it does not work then ignore installing su.zip n recovery just follow my alternate method and install the rooted deodexed rooted imm76k through recovery (recommend doing that any way saves time :biggrin:).

Edit:

Mujibar from Galaxynexus forum shot me a link for an updated su.zip that will work with imm76k for those who rather just root your current software.

http://minus.com/lvnX8MzUq3kN9

Thanks muji

Last edited:

Tradge

Reaction score
I think this new su.zip will help solve the problems I was having. I was previously rooted on the leaked 4.0.4 and running the latest AOKP. I decided to force update to the official 4.0.4 (just in case there are any stealth fixes) not mentioned in the leak. When I tried to re-root, it seemed like my SU access was either not working or being denied. I do not recall the exact message I received at the time.

Now I'm trying to download this "new" su.zip and Chrome is reporting "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to d2.minus.com
Other users are also experiencing difficulties connecting to this site, so you may have to wait a few minutes."

I tried another browser and it still will not download :(

Thanks for making this thread though :)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Five-0

Reaction score
Been on the fence about doing this to the point of trying to find a local member on here to help me. You may have pushed me over to custom side of the Nexus.:rating10: When I get off work/call this week I will play. Just to ask, feel free to edit this if you think it screws up your thread, what do you think about this:

[GNex TOOLKIT V7.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MORE [VERIZON] - xda-developers
Easier, harder, just different? I have no doubt that there is a lot of great info there, but it is just over my head. Unlike many people I will admit that in public.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Been on the fence about doing this to the point of trying to find a local member on here to help me. You may have pushed me over to custom side of the Nexus.:rating10: When I get off work/call this week I will play. Just to ask, feel free to edit this if you think it screws up your thread, what do you think about this:

[GNex TOOLKIT V7.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MORE [VERIZON] - xda-developers
Easier, harder, just different? I have no doubt that there is a lot of great info there, but it is just over my head. Unlike many people I will admit that in public.

Personally I have no issue with it. I just wanted to show people the was using adb. Yes adb is a bare to set up but once its done it really is a great tool to have. The other good thing is once its set up you are all set. I has set up adb back during the d1 days and it has worked fine for every android device I have owned and use and trust me when I said I have owned and used a lot.:icon_ devil:

moracca

Reaction score
OK, so after reading numerous different threads on numerous different forums, I am a bit confused on what is the best way to go about updating my lte nexus to IMM67K. I am rooted, and have clockworkmod recovery image installed, so when I try to install the OTA, my phone boots to the android on his back with red triangle screen. Is it best to restore the factory recovery image, then install the OTA? Best to update manually using adb and images posted on forums? One of the updated 'root toolkits'? My main stipulations are that it should be
A) easy
B) not require wiping my phone

I do have adb set up so I can connect to it when in recovery mode, if that makes a difference in your recommendation.

If anyone could assist in as much detail as you care to provide, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK, so after reading numerous different threads on numerous different forums, I am a bit confused on what is the best way to go about updating my lte nexus to IMM67K. I am rooted, and have clockworkmod recovery image installed, so when I try to install the OTA, my phone boots to the android on his back with red triangle screen. Is it best to restore the factory recovery image, then install the OTA? Best to update manually using adb and images posted on forums? One of the updated 'root toolkits'? My main stipulations are that it should be
A) easy
B) not require wiping my phone

I do have adb set up so I can connect to it when in recovery mode, if that makes a difference in your recommendation.

If anyone could assist in as much detail as you care to provide, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

If you want to take the official ota you must go back to stock and relock.

But why do that you are aready unlocked and rooted and are probably going to re-unlock especially with all the cool stuff happening. SO here is the BEST thing to do.

Flash this in recovery.

[ROM]IMM76K 4.0.4 Stock, rooted, deodex, busybox, zipalign + MODs - xda-developers
and flash the radios
[CDMA][Radio][Bootloader]4.0.4 IMM76K Radios and Bootloader - xda-developers

It is the same as the ota and you do not have to relock. It is a time saver especially with all the newer and cooler roms coming out. But basically put the files from those 2 links on your sd card, wipe data, cache, dalvik cache and you are all set. (basically same as flashing a new rom). Though it should not mess with your data I recommend being safe and backing up music and pictures. You can back up apps with tibu too just dont restore system data.

moracca

Reaction score
But basically put the files from those 2 links on your sd card, wipe data, cache, dalvik cache and you are all set.

Thanks for the quick response! I was wondering if you could expand on this part a bit. What data is being wiped? I'm not really sure what wiping the dalvik cache means, as the last time I heard it was when I first rooted and that was long enough now that I have officially forgotten anything I read about it last time.

If I boot to the clockworkmod recovery, use adb to run fastboot with the images I downloaded, will that handle the installation? For the radio image, the thread says "It must be flashed through a custom recovery, fastboot will not work for the LTE radio." I don't know how to do that though.

Also, why is the rom in the first link 185MB when the update downloaded to my phone was something like 38MB?

I had already attempted the OTA, which failed, but now when I check for updates it says my phone is up to date, but my android version is 4.0.2 and my baseband version is I515.09

Thanks again