VZW G2 unlocked??? Can anyone confirm???

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I have searched this out but see conflicting info. Is the VZW version of the G2 already unlocked to be able to use on GSM networks??? I have read that all VZW phones released over the last year or so are CDMA and GSM capable and already unlocked to be able to do so. I'm getting ready to sell off my two unlimited plans and go with the new AT&T 10GB plan. If I can avoid buying a new phone it would be nice.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
If I can pry my wife's phone out of her hand, I'll see.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Nope. I plugged in Wifey's AT&T SIM to my Verizon LG G2 and all I got was a roaming signal and no Internet signal. Sorry Garemlin. This looks like a trip to Swappa is in order.

eddie7

Reaction score
Nope. I plugged in Wifey's AT&T SIM to my Verizon LG G2 and all I got was a roaming signal and no Internet signal. Sorry Garemlin. This looks like a trip to Swappa is in order.
You have to root and flash a a ROM to get it to work. Verizon locks their phones down. Check out the thread above. The G2 is very easy to root.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Yup found out last night it didn't work. Was in the AT&T store and we put in a SIM and didn't get data. Even set up the correct APN. Funny thing is as soon as we did it we got a text on the other line saying the account had been suspended because of security reasons. Freaked oout at first but all was good after the APN was deleted and the VZW SIM reinserted.

Weird thing is I was doing research on it and from what I read per an FCC agreement VZW was ordered to carrier unlock all of their 4G phones for GSM in the last year. It's all good. Not gonna go through the hassle of having something not work right. I'll just add the G2 in with the sale of my grandfathered plans to sweeten the pot. Then either pick up a Nexus 5 or an unlocked G2. Or maybe I'll splurge for a Flex. LOL

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Yup found out last night it didn't work. Was in the AT&T store and we put in a SIM and didn't get data. Even set up the correct APN. Funny thing is as soon as we did it we got a text on the other line saying the account had been suspended because of security reasons. Freaked oout at first but all was good after the APN was deleted and the VZW SIM reinserted.

Weird thing is I was doing research on it and from what I read per an FCC agreement VZW was ordered to carrier unlock all of their 4G phones for GSM in the last year. It's all good. Not gonna go through the hassle of having something not work right. I'll just add the G2 in with the sale of my grandfathered plans to sweeten the pot. Then either pick up a Nexus 5 or an unlocked G2. Or maybe I'll splurge for a Flex. LOL
Saw the Flex on one of my podcasts. Looks like a nice phone, but of course they don't have it for VZW yet. AT&T doesn't work great around my casa, so VZW will remain my cellular choice. Not to mention, 10GB of data would only get me though 1/3 of the month ;)

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I carry my G2 in my shirt pocket a lot.... I wonder if the Flex will conform to my Man Boobs better...

Sorry... couldn't resist. :D

David

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Saw the Flex on one of my podcasts. Looks like a nice phone, but of course they don't have it for VZW yet. AT&T doesn't work great around my casa, so VZW will remain my cellular choice. Not to mention, 10GB of data would only get me though 1/3 of the month ;)

Wow!! The most data I have ever used in a month is 5GB. I average 1-3GB and my daughter averages 1-2GB.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Wow!! The most data I have ever used in a month is 5GB. I average 1-3GB and my daughter averages 1-2GB.
Enable your hotspot and watch videos on your iPad while working all night. That'll get your usage up there ;)

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok something is rotten in Denmark. I called VZW to find out what additional steps I need to unlock the G2. They swore up and down that it was fully unlocked. Went back to AT&T and we tried a different SIM. I was able to send a text message but got no data and was not able to make calls at all. Not a happy camper right now.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Ok something is rotten in Denmark. I called VZW to find out what additional steps I need to unlock the G2. They swore up and down that it was fully unlocked. Went back to AT&T and we tried a different SIM. I was able to send a text message but got no data and was not able to make calls at all. Not a happy camper right now.
Like I said, it's not just your phone because mine wouldn't work with an AT&T SIM card either. I'd say you'll have to contact LG for this one.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Like I said, it's not just your phone because mine wouldn't work with an AT&T SIM card either. I'd say you'll have to contact LG for this one.

Either way it is BS. VZW is supposed t make their phones completely unlocked. I have talked to the guys at AT&T and people have brought over S3's and S4's as well as others with no issues. I should not have to jump through hoops with a supposed completely unlocked phone.

mattjenn

Reaction score
I think voice will only work on voice over LTE the G2 still does voice over cdma On Verizon not sure why data wouldn't be working though. I'm sure there is some other steps to make it work you just have to bypass the cdma radios and I'm not quite sure how to do that.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I'm sure there is another step but VZW doesn't want to come off of it. They are trying to feed me a line of BS that the phone is completely unlocked. What really ticks me off is this is my phone. I paid outright for it and I am not even under contract with VZW anymore. I'm on month to month. I should be able to do with it what I want.