VZW disabling tethering apps from market

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
forget that..!!!!!!! everybody tether away....!!!!!! ive paid for the data once.. im not goin to pay twice for something i have unlimited for.... sorry i dont mean to flame or troll... its just these companys dont know how else to rape us... when its bad enuff the people are just trying to mantain a roof over there heads and there still trying to bang you for something youve paid for already...

p.s im gulity of tethering but i dont go over 5 gigs with both phone and tethering together... i dont get greedy and hog up the system... but damn it i should be able to tether if i damn want to

To be honest I agree with basically your entire statement. I think it is ridiculous a company can charge you twice for the same data. Now if I had 5gigs a month to use and the 2 gig of data was if i went over, for example I pay for a tethering plan and if i use 6 gigs this month then that covers me but if I use 3 gigs next month I get my 20 bucks back. See that is fair. But the way they are doing ot now is one sided. If you are abusing it then you are the problem. But if you barely get above 4-5 gigs a month then it should not matter if I tethered 25% of a gig that month and I should not have to pay an extra 20 bucks for 2 gigs extra unless I am using it as a sole source of internet.

the86d

Reaction score
I actually had the app from the "code" site, but got a notification that it had an update. This is how I found out that it was on the market. That update enabled "Infastructure AP" tethering once installed, rather than Ad-Hoc.

jthorpe

Reaction score
Well I don't use the app to tether data, but I do like it for sending and receiving text messages on my computer. I love that feature. I have a Mifi2200 for any data traffic... It's the only app I know of that allows texting via computer like that as far as I know anyway.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
forget that..!!!!!!! everybody tether away....!!!!!! ive paid for the data once.. im not goin to pay twice for something i have unlimited for.... sorry i dont mean to flame or troll... its just these companys dont know how else to rape us... when its bad enuff the people are just trying to mantain a roof over there heads and there still trying to bang you for something youve paid for already...

p.s im gulity of tethering but i dont go over 5 gigs with both phone and tethering together... i dont get greedy and hog up the system... but damn it i should be able to tether if i damn want to

To be honest I agree with basically your entire statement. I think it is ridiculous a company can charge you twice for the same data. Now if I had 5gigs a month to use and the 2 gig of data was if i went over, for example I pay for a tethering plan and if i use 6 gigs this month then that covers me but if I use 3 gigs next month I get my 20 bucks back. See that is fair. But the way they are doing ot now is one sided. If you are abusing it then you are the problem. But if you barely get above 4-5 gigs a month then it should not matter if I tethered 25% of a gig that month and I should not have to pay an extra 20 bucks for 2 gigs extra unless I am using it as a sole source of internet.

Exactly. I would be more than happy to do the official tethering if the way it was set up was an allotment, with no matter as to if you were using the phone or tethering. When you hit your limit, that was it, you'd pay more. I'd be perfectly fine with that, in all honesty. I just checked my account last night and hell, I rarely hit 1 to 2 gb per month.

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
Well I don't use the app to tether data, but I do like it for sending and receiving text messages on my computer. I love that feature. I have a Mifi2200 for any data traffic... It's the only app I know of that allows texting via computer like that as far as I know anyway.

What? I didnt know you could do that?

Schoat333

Reaction score
I have a TiBu, and the APK for wifi tether saved on my SD card. I haven't used it in over a year tho, so this doesn't really matter to me.

the86d

Reaction score
PDAnet I believe will let you do txting from a computer, but that was a while ago I used that...

I still say they include tethering, and people won't root as much. People would pay overages for abuse, but BigRed is not smart enough for that! They would have even more people flocking to them and make the money in bulk, not having people leave due to the price rapes they do!

Snow02

Reaction score

You can use android screencast and control your phone on your computer.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
eff that..!!!!!!! everybody tether away....!!!!!! ive paid for the data once.. im not goin to pay twice for something i have unlimited for.... sorry i dont mean to flame or troll... its just these companys dont know how else to rape us... when its bad enuff the people are just trying to mantain a roof over there heads and there still trying to bang you for something youve paid for already...

And I don't think you're the type of user that has caused the issue with Verizon. I think it is more those that have used wifi tether as a home replacement streaming 15-20 plus gB per month that have caused this issue to come around. Had people stayed logical about use, I don't think we would be looking at the situation we are facing.

I agree with this. It wasn't worth their time and money to chase after the few who were tethering using their 3G network. But with the speed of their 4G network, there is a lot of incentive for a lot of people to use that to replace their home broadband connection. In hindsight, it doesn't surprise me that all of this is happening at the same time.

Reaction score
Thread title should be changed. Very misleading. How about, "Verizon removes free tether apps from Google Market". That would be much more fitting. :)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
eff that..!!!!!!! everybody tether away....!!!!!! ive paid for the data once.. im not goin to pay twice for something i have unlimited for.... sorry i dont mean to flame or troll... its just these companys dont know how else to rape us... when its bad enuff the people are just trying to mantain a roof over there heads and there still trying to bang you for something youve paid for already...

And I don't think you're the type of user that has caused the issue with Verizon. I think it is more those that have used wifi tether as a home replacement streaming 15-20 plus gB per month that have caused this issue to come around. Had people stayed logical about use, I don't think we would be looking at the situation we are facing.

I agree with this. It wasn't worth their time and money to chase after the few who were tethering using their 3G network. But with the speed of their 4G network, there is a lot of incentive for a lot of people to use that to replace their home broadband connection. In hindsight, it doesn't surprise me that all of this is happening at the same time.

I believe you've nailed it. The 4G tethering was definitely going to start to become an issue because it would be abused much more than 3G tethering due to the speed. I think they were just putting the pieces in place.

Diab210

Reaction score
I'm shocked this didn't happen months ago. So they are blocking the wifi tether apps from the market - what about usb tethering? Isn't that baked into most roms nowadays?

Actually I wonder if they can track usb tethering since you are not using an app to do it. I don't know enough about it.

the86d

Reaction score
USB tethering is done via app... unless you know something I don't...

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm shocked this didn't happen months ago. So they are blocking the wifi tether apps from the market - what about usb tethering? Isn't that baked into most roms nowadays?

Actually I wonder if they can track usb tethering since you are not using an app to do it. I don't know enough about it.

Hard to say. At this point, you can still go to the wireless tether and PDANet sites and download the apps, but my guess is that since these apps have been removed from the market, it is now possible for Verizon to easily see that you have a non-Market tethering app and that makes the situation more difficult. I think it's too early for any of us to know what the final end game is going to be in this. We're going to have to wait and see.

Diab210

Reaction score
USB tethering is done via app... unless you know something I don't...

In cm7 there's an option under wifi networks called tethering that says "share your mobile devices data network via usb". I thought that was something rather standard. I could easily be mistaken.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Status
Not open for further replies.