VZ Mandatory Software Update

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
I just got a text message from Verizon saying: "Mandatory software update (no charge) is req'd on your device. To ensure continued optimal service, dial *228 SEND and press 2 when prompted."

Should I do this being that I'm rooted with BlackDroid v7 or will that not matter with this?

kmkeck

Reaction score
*228 is the service Verizon uses to program their phones and to update the roaming capabilities. Option 2 is just that. I'm not sure why Verizon would text you and tell you to do this. It is not a software update, and I cannot see how it would be required.

krazykarl

Reaction score
I just got a text message from Verizon saying: "Mandatory software update (no charge) is req'd on your device. To ensure continued optimal service, dial *228 SEND and press 2 when prompted."

Should I do this being that I'm rooted with BlackDroid v7 or will that not matter with this?

That's not a software update in the sense that you're thinking of (i.e. update to android OS) its updating your PRL (Prefered Roaming List) which basically lets your phone find a signal, and has to be updated periodically as verizon expands/maintains it's network.

There's a thread in here called Update your PRL's (or something like that) that has further details. I'm too lazy to search for the link right now though:)

techguru

Reaction score
Does not matter that you are rooted. All it does is update your preferred roaming list. In general, doing this will improve your reception "somewhere". It basically tells your phone what towers it is allowed to connect to, so it gets updated when Verizon or one of their roaming partners installs new cell towers.

Alan

OP
L

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
OK I will go ahead and do the update. I know it wasn't an update to the OS. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have an issue by doing this on a rooted phone, running a different ROM than stock. I will post back if my phone blows up! :blink:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
updated my roaming capabilities.

verizon network went down awhile back i think, so guess they want customers to update. I didn't get any texts though.