1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

VPN over PDANet

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by bsciarra, Jun 3, 2010.

1. bsciarra

bsciarra New Member

Good afternoon, I'm using usb tethering with my Motorola Droid to my laptop. The data connection works however when I try to connect to VPN using pdanet tethered data connection on the laptop I get an error 619 - could not establish connection.
    PDANet faq says to setup vpn on the droid and it will work, I have done that and it is set up correctly as I can connect to vpn with the Droid alone.
    It is standard pptp vpn connection. I am not restricted by pdanet trial usage restrictions.
    Has anyone gotten this to work? Need some help, I'm demo-ing the tethering capabilities for my company, vpn is a must-have.
  2. sailouterbanks

sailouterbanks New Member

I'm Trying to do the same thing. Any luck yet?
  3. techguru

techguru Member

It works with SSL based VPN's. I have used it with juniper and neoteris(sp). Also works with the one that LogMeIn bought last year whose name is escaping me right now. I have not tried ipSec or pptp since my Fios router blocks incoming connections of those types.
  4. techguru

techguru Member

LogMeIn Hamachi is the one I could not think of. Works great even through most firewalls.
  5. buckfill

buckfill New Member

I'd be interested if anyone finds a solution to this. I had a conference at Disney last month and when I found out what they charge for internet access at the hotel I did everything I could to find out how to get it to work. I'm an IT person who doesn't mind squeezing blood out of a turnip to get something figured out. I had zero luck. I did find a forum talking about setting up the VPN to use LT2P instead of PPTP. I never tried LT2P because I ran out of time. Anyway, I tried PPTP, Cisco, and Sonicwall VPN's. I tried every config imaginable as well. I ended up opening an RDP port so that I could remote desktop to my PC at work from my tethered laptop. It worked for the week, but by no means is it a final solution. Also, I changed the default listening port from 3389 to make it a bit harder in the event there's somebody looking for RDP to be open.
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Are you past the free trial? once the trial ends the free version does not support https:
  7. bsciarra

bsciarra New Member

I never checked the DNS option in the droid vpn settings, that's why I wasn't connecting.
    Now that it works I see strange behavior, such as I can Remote Desktop my servers but I cannot ping anything inside my lan and cannot connect to my exchange server. There are no acl's or security restrictions for any connected devices.
    PDANet's reply is perhaps it will be improved in a later version.
    When Droid 2.2 is released next month I will probably demo the built-in Verizon tethering option to see if it's a cleaner, smoother operating experience.
  8. mroberts5

mroberts5 New Member

"can Remote Desktop my servers but I cannot ping anything inside my lan"

I have the SAME problem. What's frustrating is that I had PDANet for Windows Mobile and that worked fine on the same VPN.

I do not want to give Verizon another $20 a month to tether, I hope June Fabrics figures this out.
  9. dhitson

dhitson New Member

VPN issue

I still can't connect my PPTP VPN client via USB connection through my Droid X. However, when I connect to the internet via Bluetooth I can connect to our VPN Server via PPTP. There are other Droid X users that don't have Bluetooth enabled notebooks so VPN connectivity through USB is still a requirement.
Search tags for this page
cannot not use vpn when tethering on s3
checkpoint failing on pdanet

fail to establish vpn connection pdanet

how to use tunngle with a tethered phone
pdanet android exchange server

pdanet fail to establish vpn connection

pdanet failed to establish vpn
pdanet free version vpn
pdanet message fail to establish vpn connection

pdanet pptp

pdanet pptp vpn