VPN help

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by hamilton71801, Mar 3, 2010.

1. hamilton71801

hamilton71801 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1st post so be easy!!! I just got a Motorola Droid primarily so I can access my work email (usps). I have access on my home computer and use Mifi and it works just fine and I have to go through vpn (cisco) and they also run a cache cleaner. Problem is, it won't work on the phone. I could get to the log on screen on the sales clerks Droid but it would hang up when I logged on but I can't even get that far with mine. What app do I need to install to get underway?

FWIW, I did call our IT dept and they said only BB's were supported but I think she might have meant that you don't have to go through vpn on the BB...but I'm a Droid idiot!! I've got 30 days to make this work or I'll be in the market for a BB. HELP...I'm falling in love with this phone.

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Penn State required us to install the CISCO VPN client. When I had my iPhone it worked very well with the CISCO client. Now that I retired and switched to the Droid, I've not had a reason to access the University network so I can not confirm that the Droid supports the CICSO VPN but I can not imagine it would not.

I would ask the IT folks to give you a copy and try installing. The settings are really easy to understand.

Mike

3. hamilton71801

hamilton71801 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply but it looks like its a no go. I talked to Verizon tech and my work IT again and both said BB only. I guess its easier to let go now than fall deeper in love and then have to say goodbye.

4. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Give me 24 hours. One of my system administrators has a Droid. I'll send him an email to see how he handles Penn State's requirement?

Mike

5. Fuzzball

Fuzzball Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The stock VPN client for Android is pretty basic and doesn't support the type of authentication I've seen with most Cisco IPSec VPN setups. For those, generally the VPN client is configured with a Group Username and a Group Password and then the user authenticates with their own username and password which is either authenticated within the Cisco VPN Concentration or passed on to another server. The Android VPN client doesn't support this nor does it have the appropriate fields.

There is an APK called VPN Connections and it requires the phone to be rooted. Here's one method to get it working, but I think some of it's information might be out of date:
    Uber Geeky! Blog Archive Connect to Cisco VPN from Android

It is available in the market, but I'm not sure how up to date it is:
    [​IMG]

The guy's project page with more info and the latest version can be found here:
    http://code.google.com/p/get-a-robot-vpnc/

#5 Fuzzball, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  6. dean730

dean730 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds to me that hamilton71801 may be trying to connect to a Cisco SSL-VPN site and not the IPSec VPN. This would require an Active-X browser plugin, which only IE supports.

7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    Do you have OTW access? My IT nazi's say BB's only too, but we are allowed to access OTW with our home PC's.

If so gove Touchdown 2.0 a try...5 day free trial.

8. hamilton71801

hamilton71801 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

That rings a bell because I had to install Active-X on my home computer and I've seen SSL on the bottom of the screen when I log in. Verizon had to order a BB (Storm 2) for me and I should get it Friday...unless Touchdown works.:)

9. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Spoke with the sys admin. He has not yet installed the CISCO VPN client on his Droid. He felt that the Droid should support the CISSO IPsec VPN.

Mike

10. hamilton71801

hamilton71801 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Touchdown didn't work so I guess I'm out of options. How do I go about getting a refund?

11. 3dogMcNeill

3dogMcNeill New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also need VPN help

Same issue as above, needing to connect to Penn State wireless which requires VPN authentication.

• HTC Incredible
    • Penn State wireless
    • Cisco VPN authentication system
    Just wondering if any progress has been made on this issue since the last posts.

Also, has anyone had luck w/access to Oracle Calendar other than via webaccess (which I have not yet tried)?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

12. kstatenupe

kstatenupe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    WOW!!! Great app. I bought the droid and couldn't go my normal route to get my work email on the "X". This worked perfectly.

Thanks all above!!!

Search tags for this page
connecting galaxy s3 to penn state wireless
connecting oracle vpn on android
installing oracle vpn on android
oracle forums vpn android
oracle vpn settings for android

penn state vpn android

psu vpn for android
usps vpn on android
vpn android psu.edu
vpn psu android