volume rocker doesnt change notification sound volume

txter

Reaction score
After the OTA ICS update my volume rocker only changes the ringer volume. I can turn it all the way down but if I get a text it still plays loud.
Is anyone else having this issue?
I find it stupid to have to open up my sounds setting every time I want to turn it down unless their is an app or something that can change this.

gibson99

Reaction score
agreed - this is dumb. at least give us the checkbox that gives us the OPTION of linking the notification and ringer volumes. otherwise they might as well just take away the volume rocker on the side of the phone (and i'd buy something else). volume is such a BASIC operation of a phone, and they've botched this one badly.

the weird part is that when googling, it seems most people's complaints with ICS is that on their phones, the notification and ringer volumes are permanently linked and cannot be adjusted individually, so people are looking for a way to UN-link them. meanwhile we're looking for the opposite. that simple little checkbox that was there in GB would solve this problem for both use cases.

gaudenti

Reaction score
I went into a meeting yesterday and turned the volume down all the way, as I usually do. Got a text during the meeting and it blasted everyone out of their chairs! Well, maybe not that loud, but very distracting.

I thought I would be smart and use a manual Smart Action to quickly set high/low/no volume for Notifications, but only ringer volume is available as an Action! This really needs to be fixed . . .

edit: Found and installed "Slider Widget - Volumes" by HINTERHOFAPPS. Looks good. I am using a 1x1 and set it to be Notifications volume. Much better than going through the menus to get to Sound, but this still needs to be fixed in ICS.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
On your lock screen you can slide the little speaker icon to silent without unlocking. This should silence everything. You can also put your phone in sleep mode with the power button.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

lauren917

Reaction score
On your lock screen you can slide the little speaker icon to silent without unlocking. This should silence everything. You can also put your phone in sleep mode with the power button.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Not looking to silence... looking to turn down the notification volume a bit, so it's not on full blast when the ringer is turned down...

gibson99

Reaction score
My current workaround is an app called llama. Yes, like the animal. It doesn't exactly fix this, but the way it works is to use the cell towers it can see to define locations, such as work, home, church, etc. Once it learns these areas, you can define actions. For example, i have mine set so that on sundays if it thinks i'm at church, it sets everything to silent and locks it there for 2 hours just to make sure it won't go off. When it sees an unknown tower (which is most of the time while i'm driving) i have everything full blast, cuz my car is not very quiet. At work, i have volume at like 20%, and home around 50. Now i only ever touch the volume when i want to adjust media volume.

This isn't for everyone but it's made my experience a lot better.

Hikertrash

Reaction score
Not looking to silence... looking to turn down the notification volume a bit, so it's not on full blast when the ringer is turned down...

I'm not sure if you're still having the problem, but the rocker turns down volume on my notifications. Also under sysrem settings, sounds, volume, there's sliders for music/games, ringtone, notifications and alarms.

Hikertrash

Reaction score
Are you running a custom rom? With the stock rom, volume rocker only controls ringer vol, not notifications. And there's no way to link them. That's the whole problem.

Nope, stock ICS. However, if it makes any difference, I got the phone a couple months ago and immediately updated to version 4.0.4.

Hikertrash

Reaction score
Actually with a little more testing, it appears the volume may not change with the rocker, but it certainly does with the system settings, sound volume option. Regardless, IMO it's not that big a deal, or deal breaker.

silverfang77

Reaction score
This is strange indeed. I'm on stock ICS, but my ringer and notification volumes seem to work in synch. If I mute my phone, or put it on vibrate with the rocker, that silences the notifications. If I raise the volume with the rocker, it's raised for both ringtone and notification.

gibson99

Reaction score
This is strange indeed. I'm on stock ICS, but my ringer and notification volumes seem to work in synch. If I mute my phone, or put it on vibrate with the rocker, that silences the notifications. If I raise the volume with the rocker, it's raised for both ringtone and notification.

based on your sig, i have the same version, and i'm rooted too. here's how to check though: first make sure both ringer and notification volumes are somewhere in the middle. then from the home screen, use the rocker to turn your volume all the way up or to just one notch above silent (putting it in vibrate gives inconsistent results). then go into settings, sound, volumes, and look at ringtone vs notifications volumes. mine never match when i do this. since installing llama though, my volumes are locked together exactly like i want them (this is a toggle in llama if i remember right), and i've enabled the option to reset volumes so in case i accidentally change it, it automatically goes back to what i programmed it to (unless i override directly in llama). think of llama as Tasker Lite - and it's free! It doesn't use GPS or wifi to determine its location - it just keeps track of which cell towers your phone sees and you teach it which towers in whatever zone you want (ie: home, work, etc), so it doesn't have any hit on the battery. only drawback is if your home and work are so close together that they use the same towers... in that case though you can just use llama to schedule a different profile, no matter where you are.