Volume down + Power = Downloading Do not turn off target?

Jawbone

Reaction score
I am tryng to boot into recovery but I get the green android guy with the following message

Downloading...
Do not turn off target !!

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
J

Jawbone

Reaction score
Well I booted normally, Launched Rom Manager and flashed Clockwork recovery mod. I booted into recovery mode and did what I needed to do. What does that mean?

Sileem

Reaction score
You should hold both volume buttons along with the power button to boot into recovery.

OP
J

Jawbone

Reaction score
You should hold both volume buttons along with the power button to boot into recovery.

Thank you. For the life of me I believed I tried that as well during my troubleshooting but sure enough it worked. So I guess my question has changed. What am I booting into when I hold Volume down + power?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you. For the life of me I believed I tried that as well during my troubleshooting but sure enough it worked. So I guess my question has changed. What am I booting into when I hold Volume down + power?

That's strange because holding volume down + power is how you take a screenshot on the Nexus.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess you can't take a screenshot when the phone is off ;)

Anyway, the screen you're booting into is the stock recovery mode. After you flash clockwork in Rom Manager, you need to delete or rename the "recovery-from-boot.p" file from the system folder. Full instructions are here. Basically, this is the file that tells your phone to boot into stock recovery. So to get your phone to boot into clockwork recovery, you have to delete or rename that file. I personally just cut and paste that file onto my sd card. That way the file was gone from the system folder, but I still had it on my sd card in case I ever needed it to boot back into stock recovery.