Voltage Kernal

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by kenerly, Apr 3, 2010.

1. kenerly

kenerly New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When downloading UltimateDroid 9.0 what is the most stable voltage kernal to go with on the droid?

2. pdroid

pdroid Silver Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Medium voltage should be the most stable, either Chevy or Adamz.

3. JT3

JT3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anytime you're overclocking, there isn't one "most stable" kernel, because every Droid is going to have different tolerances. While my Droid can easily handle a LV Kernel at 1.25GHz, some can't even run at all over 1GHz. Some can handle 1.5GHz. It's all luck of the draw.

Having said that, a Medium Volt kernel will almost always be more stable than a Low Volt Kernel. So, your best bet is to try a Medium Volt Kernel, watch your temperatures and adjust the frequency up or down according to how your Droid reacts. If it's running fine at a certain speed, but a little hot, you can try a Low Volt kernel to see if that helps. Just keep in mind that virtually all droids have SOME issues with a low volt kernel. They can be as minor as an extra Force Close every once in a while, or as severe as not being able to boot.

4. marcogiudice

marcogiudice Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh ok so im running a lv 1.25 checy kernel on full blast, my question is what signs do i look for to see if its not working at its best and if i should lower thwe cpu or try a different vl. i mean times its fast sometimes its slow. i need ur opinion

5. junpar

junpar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If it seems to lag and stutter or if there are a lot of force closes, this would mean you're pushing your droid too far. This could mean you are running your droid too fast and it could also mean that your droid can't handle a low voltage kernel if you are using one.

6. CrLx

CrLx New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running lv1.0 on UD V9 it runs fine but how do I set the cpu some times it gets hot but never past 110.

7. JT3

JT3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As others have already posted, pushing a CPU past its limits will usually be obvious. Either it won't boot at all, or you'll get an abnormal number of Force Closes, or other unidentified weirdness. The bottom line is if you THINK you're getting abnormal activity at a high clock, lower the clock (to the 550MHz default speed if necessary) to see if the weirdness stops. If it does, double-check by duplicating the test... clock at your OC speed, if the weirdness comes back, downclock and note that it goes away. If so, you can definitely conclude that your Droid cannot handle that speed. Lower it a bit and repeat the above test. Eventually, you'll find a speed at which it can operate normally. This is your maximum speed, and unfortunately, if you're very unlucky, this could be 550MHz, the Droid default speed. (If you're REALLY unlucky, and it's lower, then you may have a defective droid... but before you conclude this... load a stock ROM and unroot to ensure that it is, in fact, the hardware... you'll need to do that to turn it in anyway.)

Also, if the battery temperature gets anywhere CLOSE to 120F (about 49C), then you need to lower your speed, EVEN IF YOUR DROID IS RUNNING FINE!!! I usually set my SetCPU profile to downclock if the battery hits 45C. (However, if I ever see that happen, you can bet I'll never run that speed again.) Your battery temperature will usually be your first sign of troubles, and it's critical that you don't ignore it, because an elevated battery temperature can be serious. At best, your battery will discharge much faster at high temperatures, so your battery life will drastically suffer. At worst, it could burst, possibly destroying your phone or worse, causing you injury (although, the likelihood of this happening below 50C, or 122F, is minimal).

#7 JT3, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010