voip setup

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm travelling and on my droid right now with no cell service(wifi though). Can someone give me a quick instructions for setting up voip? I'm pretty confused when I read the instructions online

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm travelling and on my droid right now with no cell service(wifi though). Can someone give me a quick instructions for setting up voip? I'm pretty confused when I read the instructions online

I am wanting to set this up myself, but missing the Gizmo5 piece of the puzzle. Some here and elsewhere in Adroidland have got this to work with SipDroid, Google Voice and Gizmo.

Newps

Reaction score
I already had a Skype account when I got this phone. However Skype doesn't work on this phone with wifi, only with a data connection, which is pretty damn pointless. So get Fring in the Market and input your Skype information. They just updated Fring a few days ago and now it works with a wifi connection. Made a call across the country last night and it works great.

OP
J

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm missing gizmo too. I downloaded fring. Do I have to pay for skype to make outgoing calls? I'm a little confused on that

drewshaver

Reaction score
Create a skype account. If you want to make calls to other skype numbers, you do not need to pay skype. If you want to call regular numbers, buy skype credit, I would recc unlimited monthly (abt $3/month).

Then download fring, create a fring account, then add your skype account to fring, and voila!
It even works over 3g!
Also try nimbuzz, it performs the same role as fring.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Just set up Fring and Skype over my Wifi net and the call quality is pretty poor, when I called my wife she said I sounded like i was a ransom caller using a disguised voice.

I'll try and use another Wifi access point and see what that sounds like.

Ron W.

drewshaver

Reaction score
LOL ransom caller.. ya i have had some quality issues. Would reccomend trying over 3g instead of wifi, and also try both 3g/wifi with nimbuzz. i actually got alot better quality with nimbuzz, but having nimbuzz even running in the bground will prevent the phone from sleeping