Voice to text

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hey.

I LOVE this feature, but all of the sudden, when I click on the mic icon, it comes up with a slash through it.
This happened shortly after it kept telling me that the service was unavailable, or something like that.

Is this a local service or does it need to hook up with the cloud?

Thanks.
B

Joker

Reaction score
Haven't expericenced this problem yet, but the only thing I could think of is whether you are running a task killer/manager. If so be sure not to kill the voice search process or something similar. Other than that *shrug*

Hopefully someone else may have a better idea.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try a simple reset - seems to fix a lot of minor problems with the droid

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
How do I do a simple reset?
Is it more than just rebooting?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just do a battery pull for about 30 seconds to see if that fixes it

yoopermjm

Reaction score
This may be obvious, but it happened to me...:blink:
Make sure you're not in airplane mode.
The voice app only works if you're connected...

wendy5001

Reaction score
can i get it to take "text" more than one sentence at a time? i've never had this feature before but i can only seem to get one sentence out before it goes away and this seems silly. am i doing something wrong?

jaste

Reaction score
Voice to text translation is performed on a Google server. You need a connection.

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
can i get it to take "text" more than one sentence at a time? i've never had this feature before but i can only seem to get one sentence out before it goes away and this seems silly. am i doing something wrong?

Wendy, there isn't a tiny secretary taking dictation on the other end of the line. As my daddy used to say about dogs dancing, "You don't ask how well they do it; it's amazing they do it at all."

The speech to text feature is designed to take a few seconds of an audible signal, translate it, allow you to determine if it's correct, and proceed. Given the error rate in this sort of software/hardware combination, you wouldn't want to have to make multiple corrections in an entire paragraph.

shaislet

Reaction score
I've found you can do more than one sentence by saying"period or "question mark"

You have to hit the microphone button again to reactivate voice-text again. I too am fascinated with this feature but have found it best to accept the short comings and familiar yourself with the workarounds.

In other words...practice makes almost perfect

eliassami5

Reaction score
you can speak an entire essay into the voice to text feature if you wanted. The only reason it is cutting you off is because you are pausing for too long of a period. After you speak your sentence say "period" or "question mark" then continue speaking, just dont pause for more than say 2 seconds.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hello All.

So I'm driving down the road and I come up with a todo idea that I need to write down.
I want to speak it into my rezound todo app without too much hassle and a ton of taps.

As it is now I have to open the app, start a new todo, press and hold the mic icon (swiftkey keyboard), speak the words, select save.
WAY too many steps while driving.

Anybody know a quicker way?

Is there any truth to the idea that the speech to text "engine" will get more accurate with more use.
It's way off on a regular basis as it is.

Thanks
B

Bpowder33

Reaction score
If your on JB Google Keep is what your looking for... Has a lock screen widget with a (mic) button ready to go. I'm not sure what's a good alternative for ICS...