Voice searching question....

ncbryan

Reaction score
When I first got my Droid on launch day, I was able to hit the search button on the screen and say "call home" or "call contact" and it would list the contact on the screen and all I had to do was touch the screen and it would call that person. It would also list some internet suggested sites as well. Now when I do that it only appears to be searching the internet and not my contacts. Does anyone know how to get it to search my contacts like it used to? I don't recall changing any settings, but maybe I did?

Thanks,
Bryan

grizzlylabs

Reaction score
Voice call searching

I have the same issue. It doesn't make sense to me to search the internet, at least at first. When I say call, I'm probably wanting someone in contacts.

griz8791

Reaction score
Not sure this is what you're looking for but I will wade in anyway.

At home screen, touch the menu button on the chassis just outside the display.

Touch "Settings."

Scroll down, find and touch "Search."

Find and touch "searchable items."

Clear all checkboxes other than "contacts."

I assume this will limit any voice search you issue to just your contacts.

griz8791

Reaction score
We need a comprehensive manual or at least a detailed FAQ on voice search.

The vast majority of my contacts have multiple phone numbers stored. Most of the time when I say "call joe bloe at work" or "call joe bloe on mobile" I get a list of all of joe bloe's various numbers despite my attempt to specify which number.

I have a few contacts with only one phone number and on those it works slick. I say "call office" and it immediately dials that number without forcing me to choose from a list of possibilities.

This morning I found that if I said "call joe blow at mobile" (counterintuitive) it went straight to his mobile number without making me choose from the list of all of his numbers.

This has to be documented somewhere.

borge12

Reaction score
This may be completely unrelated, but there was one time I was trying to demonstrate to a friend how I could bring up the navigation by voice searching "Navigate Home". However, it kept googling that phrase. The battery was low, so I plugged it in, repeated the voice search and this time it brought up the navigation.