Voice Search will not install

HeathCliff

Reaction score
Thanks, both of you. Firstly, I already have ROOT EXPLORER. I've not been one to resist paying a dollar or two for apps. Secondly, I did manage to finally figure out how to uninstall / reinstall VOICE SEARCH. However, not matter WHAT I do i cannot uninstall/ reinstall GOOGLE SEARCH. Any suggestions?

Auslegung

Reaction score
HeathCliff, we'll need more info to help you. First, did you uninstall Voice Search with Root Explorer, reboot, then download Voice Search from Market? Did it work perfectly? If you used another method, what did you do?

I'm assuming you've already followed my above instructions for uninstalling Google Search, so what was the outcome? Any errors? Any popups? Have you tried using terminal to uninstall? Is it possible that you already have the most recent version? To check that just go to Market, search for Google Search, and if it says "Install" then you don't have the most recent one, if it says something else then you do have the most recent one.

Finally, what handset/OS are you using (e.g. Droid 2.2, Magic 1.6, etc). Sorry if I've insulted your intelligence with over-explaining; I'd rather over-explain now then waste our time you being confused and me explaining later.

HeathCliff

Reaction score
Firstly, you are so gracious, and articulate, I am really appreciative. So, no, I don't think you were "over-explaining." You are perfect.

I managed to uninstall/ reinstall VOICE SEARCH. It's GOOGLE SEARCH that I am having problems with. I have a rooted Droid 1, with 2.2. When I did the last update, whose name I forget, something happened and I was having problems updated Google Search and Voice Search. The latter I managed with help to update.

In market, GOOGLE SEARCH gives me the message, FREE. I try to install, and it gives me the message installation unsuccessful.

I've tried to erase GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk - since that's the only Google Search app I can find in Astro, but it won't erase.

Auslegung

Reaction score
Heathcliff, I'm very sorry for the long hiatus, this is the first time in almost a month I've sat down to my computer and only have a couple minutes at that to help you, assuming you haven't been helped elsewhere.

Since it's been a few weeks and I didn't have time to review what's been said, all I'm going to say right now is this: you may need to get Root Explorer instead of Astro, as Astro doesn't get root privileges. In Root Explorer you'll need to locate google search, click on the button in the top right that says Mount R/W, then remove the google search apk, then click on the button in the top right again, which will say something different than R/W, but will stay say "Mount." Reboot, then try to download from Market.

I hope you didn't wait for my lazy butt to help you out, but if you did then I hope this helps. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on sooner if you reply :|