Voice Search missing after return to stock

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by lmapp, Feb 6, 2010.

1. lmapp

lmapp New Member

I returned to stock after running Sholes for a day, and Voice Search is missing from stock. If I re-load Sholes, it's there.

Any suggestions? Should it 'work itself out' if 2.1 rolls out?
  2. lmapp

lmapp New Member

Still no voice-search if I'm in stock, but now I can't find Maps in the application manager, both in Sholes and stock. It just won't show up. It runs in Sholes, force-closes in stock, but missing from app manager in both.

How can I just start from scratch with this thing? Anybody?
  3. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

I've run into the same problem with losing voice search...it's been a couple of days since you started this thread..have you come up with any solutions? I'm stumped.
  4. Artimis

Artimis New Member

Try:
    1) going to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Menu button -> Filter -> All

2) find com.google.android.voicesearch (that may not be the exact name but it will look similar...) and click on it

3) Click "Uninstall"

4) Reboot your phone

Voice search should be back after this.......it worked for me.
  5. lmapp

lmapp New Member

6. Droidster163

Droidster163 New Member

I did exactly this and it worked! Thanks!
  7. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

Hey it worked for me too! Thanks. So, I'm back to stock but did it with the Sholes update method. Is that what you guys did? If so, is that enough that we should be able to get the OTA when it comes? I'm afraid I'm not tech savvy enough to go the route that was mentioned on one of the threads. What I'm saying is by having evidence of the Shole's updater in Astro, will that make me unable to get the OTA? I really don't know what to delete off of Astro. I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up. I do know I'm back to stock and I no longer have the superuser icon in my app drawer? Any advice is appreciated and thanks for the voice search help.
  8. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

Maybe I'm not being clear or maybe I'm in the wrong thread. I guess what I"m asking is...is it safe to delete everything under nandroid in Astro and the sholes 2.0.2 and 2.0.3? It says the files are empty.
  9. lmapp

lmapp New Member

Yes, it is ok to delete the nandroid folder and it's contents. It's also fine to remove the smudater app. One thing that you should try just to make sure that you are not rooted is to fire up a terminal emulator (if you don't have one, go to market). At the command prompt, type in su and then press the enter key. If you get the message "not authorized" or something similar, you are no longer rooted and therefore should be able to receive ota updates.

The reason nobody really says "Yes, it WILL WORK" is because there has never been an ota update since all of the wide-spread hacking started. No one can say for sure, but it should work.

Something to consider: Assuming that you do get the ota update (which is safe to assume), it will probably be some time before you can load a custom rom again because the devs will have to come up with new/updated roms for 2.1.

You can always go from custom to stock and then get 2.1 ota. Once you get 2.1 ota, there probably will be no going back (for a while).
  10. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

Thanks so much..I did go to the Android Terminal Emulator and got the "not authorized" and the $ sign so with that I feel safe that I'm unrooted now..I just can't decide if I should update again or not...tough decision but I really appreciate your input. I see a lot of people are staying rooted, if I felt comfortable that the possibility of losing my warrenty wouldn't be an issue..
  11. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

Oh and just out of curiosity, did you remain at stock?
  12. lmapp

lmapp New Member

Yes, so far. I had such a time getting back to stock that I swore I wouldn't root again. Then I realized that I had a hard time until I found a really good how-to, which makes it real easy. Kind of like the old "I'll never drink again" vow.

Seriously, I'll probably stay put because I didn't see that much of a benefit for me when rooted/rom'ed. I don't teather, and the visual stuff pretty much mandated over-clocking just to feel like the speed was normal. I totally get both schools of thought, but I'm staying at stock. For now. If I get snowed-in and bored tomorrow (in MS, haha!), who knows!
  13. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

Yeah, I had no use for teather either. I think what I liked about it the most was the smoked screen and the pinch n zoom. I'm not interested in..I went ahead and removed everything from Astro..did you say I can even remove the smu updater from the app drawer? How do I do that? I couldn't find it in my app list in Astro and in the market they won't uninsall it.
  14. lmapp

lmapp New Member

You do just a normal uninstall to remove smupdater.

From your Home screen, press the menu key
    Select "settings"
    Select "applications"
    Select "manage applications"

Now scroll down to smupdater and select it.
    Select "uninstall"
    Then it may ask if you're sure, yada yada yada....

Then your done. I always reboot after doing an uninstall. It probably does not make a bit of difference.

Have a good one. :)
  15. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

....duh...I knew that, brain overkill I guess. Thanks for your help. You have a good one too.
  16. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

For the folks like you who are unsure about 2.1 OTA and going back to root, if you decide to take the safer route and sit at 2.0.1 unrooted, just do not accept the 2.1 ota when it comes out. Then you can decide, as when it does roll out, there is gonna be a lot of info here to digest before the masses get 2.1. It will certainly roll out in pieces, quantity wise, and we should have a little time to make the decision. Unless you are one of the "lucky" ones in the first wave:)

Craig
  17. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

Excellent idea..ought to make this idea more public! Thanks.
Search tags for this page

google voice search app missing

missing google search bar android