Voice Search has started acting up

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I am running an original MotoDroid, stock rooted 2.2, with the Voice Search app from Google available on the Market.

It used to work... well, perfect. Beyond expectations.

In the past few days it's started acting up. For example, I have a friend named Jeff. I do Voice Search and say "Call Jeff". Voice Search popped up saying "Calling David's Bridal"

This got a surprised reaction out of me, so I cancelled the call before it was made, and Voice Search gave me suggestions of what I wanted. 3 different businesses, none of them being the Jeff in my address book, were shown available to call. "Call Jeff" appeared as an available Google Search.

I tested this with some other contacts that have worked before and got the same crazy wacky results. Clearing cache and data didn't help, neither did rebooting, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. It worked correctly at first - but now it's acting up again. If I say a contact's first and last name it works more often, but I used to not have to do that, and I don't know how it's getting such screwed up results.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix?

thoner34

Reaction score
I have nearly the same issue. Except the voice search on my Droid has never worked right. The same thing that ohioDroid describes is happening on my phone - I activate the voice search and say "Call Kyle at home" and it starts dialing the zoo! What the hell is that all about? It seemingly doesn't work with any of my contacts at all, but it's obvious the voice search knows exactly what I'm saying because it offers a google search for what I spoke, word-for-word, under the options of local businesses it wants to dial.

I have tried syncing my contacts to my google account, which seems to be a popular solution, but it didn't work for me.

Clearing out the data and cache, uninstalling updates, rebooting, and reinstalling the voice search update has proven unsuccessful too. There's gotta be something google knows about this because the reviews on the tool are split 50/50 when you look at them on the Market page.

Can anyone help us out?

thoner34

Reaction score
Just kidding. Syncing my google account to the phone via Auto-Sync (settings --> accounts and sync --> Auto-sync) did the trick. I haven't tested it out fully yet, so I'll reply again if there are further problems, but for now, that's the solution.

So hopefully the next update will search the phone as well? I would rather it searched for contacts on the phone and music on the memory card, that would be much more helpful. I didn't have my account synced so now it's a pain because I have problems with duplicates and missing entries.

Dear Google,
All I want for Christmas is a lo-cal search, a lo-cal search, a lo-cal search...