Voice Privacy...

Laurence5905

Reaction score
In the Settings menu, if you go to the Call Settings screen, there is an option entitled "Voice Privacy." It says it "Enable enhanced privacy mode" if you check it. What does this mean, exactly? It doesn't seem to make any difference to me, if I leave it checked or un-checked.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Does this come default turned on? I know mine is on but I wouldn't be surprised if I checked it on if it came off by default.

Anyway..This is the one question that has gone unsolved in this forum. It is the mystery of all mysteries.

Hopefully one day we have the answer to one of the plagues of humanity.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Voice Privacy is encryption of your voice signal, making it difficult for anybody to eavesdrop on your call (this was far more important a feature in the analog days than it is today.

Droids

Reaction score
It's on by default on the Droid. Its an extra layer of encryption, which shouldn't even be necessary on a CDMA network but if you want to force the NSA to take an extra second or 2 to decode and listen in on your phone calls, leave it enabled.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Any other tips?

Does it do anything to the outgoing voice quality for example...

Takami826

Reaction score
It's on by default on the Droid. Its an extra layer of encryption, which shouldn't even be necessary on a CDMA network but if you want to force the NSA to take an extra second or 2 to decode and listen in on your phone calls, leave it enabled.

HAhHAHAH yea cuz my blatherings are just oooo sooo important HAHAH

western1

Reaction score
Yes, on by default. I just got a new phone and it was on...

Does this come default turned on? I know mine is on but I wouldn't be surprised if I checked it on if it came off by default.

Anyway..This is the one question that has gone unsolved in this forum. It is the mystery of all mysteries.

Hopefully one day we have the answer to one of the plagues of humanity.

rweigel5

Reaction score
No, it has absolutely no effect on call quality.
That's opposite of what a verizon sales rep just told me. I explained that I purchased the Bionic along with the jawbone era. During most calls, the other caller will sound echoey and I can barely be heard on their end. I have to power cycle the jaw bone and then call quality seems fine. This happens on 75% of the calls. Per jawbone, I did a soft reset on the era but it didn't help. Verizon tech said to turn this feature off "voice privacy mode". Time will tell if it actually fixes my problem. Just my 2 cents.

JayMonster

Reaction score
That's opposite of what a verizon sales rep just told me. I explained that I purchased the Bionic along with the jawbone era. During most calls, the other caller will sound echoey and I can barely be heard on their end. I have to power cycle the jaw bone and then call quality seems fine. This happens on 75% of the calls. Per jawbone, I did a soft reset on the era but it didn't help. Verizon tech said to turn this feature off "voice privacy mode". Time will tell if it actually fixes my problem. Just my 2 cents.

That is not a problem with "call quality" that is more of an issue of jawbone having an issue with the encryption handshake between the phone and Jawbone (more specifically in this case, Jawbone)