Voice Mail Icon will not go away

mg1cigar

Reaction score
Hi, new to this site, so I hope I'm posting in the right area. I've owned my Motorola Droid now for a month and a half now, two weeks in I noticed that my voice mail Icon after listening and either saving or deleting vm's the icon remained on the top left of the screen. I've removed the battery a couple of times now, and it still remains there. Went back to the Verizon store and they are telling me that the only way to remove the icon would be to reset my phone back to factory settings. Unfortunately they said I'd loose all my apps, music, etc. Does anyone here have a better way, or should I just leave the vm icon there?
Thanks,
Mike

warrior21

Reaction score
Are you using youmail or google voice, or are you just using the standard voicemail

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
M

mg1cigar

Reaction score
I'm using the standard voice mail. I'm still learning this phone, I have no clue on the other types of vm you are refering to.

warrior21

Reaction score
Youmail is basically a 3rd party visual voicemail you can download and I had the same problem you had while using it. When you dial *86 does it let you access your mailbox?

Edit: I've been searching around and it seems to be a common problem with no real answer. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything worth trying

Last edited:

MrLich

Reaction score
I'm having this same issue, though in my case, it seems to have started when I switched from my standard voice mail to Google Voice. I tried switching back to check my vzw voice mail, but that didn't seem to do the trick.

Anyone hear anything new on this issue?

Taegost

Reaction score
Wait, there's a voice mail icon? I've never seen one, even before I rooted and changed ROMs...!
I've been dying for one, 'cuz I'm really bad about checking my voice mail :)

OP
M

mg1cigar

Reaction score
Sorry, yes *86 does let me access my vm as well as the pull down function. I just can't Ger the Icon to go away. So what happens is I don't check my vm because the icon is constantly present.:icon_evil:
Youmail is basically a 3rd party visual voicemail you can download and I had the same problem you had while using it. When you dial *86 does it let you access your mailbox?

Edit: I've been searching around and it seems to be a common problem with no real answer. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything worth trying

geetarspaz

Reaction score
i've had this issue. not sure how i fix it thought but sometimes my voicemail icon will be there till i check my voicemail about 2-3 times and make sure the messages are indeed delete

OP
M

mg1cigar

Reaction score
So you have no saved vm's? I wonder if that's part of my problem, I have 3or4 saved vm's that I would like to keep. I guess I can record them on to my digital recorder. I'll try that. Sometimes my vm's Icon will have a #2 on top of it telling me I have 2 unheard vm's which tells me the functionality of the icon is working.
Thx

geetarspaz

Reaction score
yeah, i had to clear my all out. im not sure if you want to try that, if you have really important voicemails on there. i make sure i listen to the entire voicemail completely, sometimes twice to make sure it gets it through, then i wait about 5 minutes using my phone to see if it clears up, then if not i end up deleting it which usually cures it. you can give it a try if you'd like.

OP
M

mg1cigar

Reaction score
OK, I think I figured it out. For $hits and giggles I went into my vm's settings, which is option 4, turned OFF the vm's mail icon , exited out of vm completely, then pulled my battery out for a few minutes, turned the phone back on, went back into my vm's settings again and turned on the vm's icon back on. After exiting my vm's the icon was gone. I had my wife call and leave a test vm, the icon appeared as it's suppose to, I went back into my vm listened to my new message, deleted it and watched my icon disappear. This morning my vm icon was back, but so was the missed call icon, listened to my new message, deleted it and the vm icon went away! Thanks fir all the suggestion, I knew one of us would figure it out.
Good luck to anyone who has the same issue I HAD, I hope it lasts.
Mike

newbie116

Reaction score
This really worked!!! I finally got rid of the annoying icon after months of no luck. Thank you

colagada

Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread. I'm posting it so that people who visit it in the future may find it.

I solved this by having somebody phone me and leave a voicemail message when I refused the call.

I then went into voicemail and listened to the message, then deleted it.

The notification icon went away and hasn't returned.