Voice Drops During Calls

warnette

Reaction score
Randomly during calls my phone will make act like i have muted the call making it so the other person cannot hear my voice but i can hear theirs. The mute button has not been hit. It also appears to happen less often when using a bluetooth headset.

Any ideas?

longboat

Reaction score
Randomly during calls my phone will make act like i have muted the call making it so the other person cannot hear my voice but i can hear theirs. The mute button has not been hit. It also appears to happen less often when using a bluetooth headset.

Any ideas?
The same thing has been happening to me! I am in PA but it seems to happen fairly often when I am talking to my friends in Florida. I doubt the location has anything to do with it. They are on different networks (Alltel now Verizon and ATT). I keep thinking my ear has muted the phone which I used to have a problem with on my old Treo phone.

BOlin

Reaction score
I too am having this problem. After my voice goes mute, I check the screen and it's dark. When it comes back on again, I see that the mute button has not been pressed, so I can't un-mute anything. I have to hang up and call the person again. I've already had 2 other droids, and this happened on at least one of them. I hope someone can tell me why this happens.

inkfx

Reaction score
The problem is your face isn't close enough to the phone and the screen comes on. then your ear/cheek touches the "+ add call" button and mutes the current call and brings u back to the dial out screen.

You need to just press the back button to return to the call

-noelin

BOlin

Reaction score
Noelin - Thank you for that response. I'm glad to know how to get back to the call.

job

Reaction score
ugh. I feel your pain. Regardless of how I hold the phone...my moto droid mutes me in 90% of calls. LOVE this phone, but think I may return it for another vzw smart phone. The most important function is the phone. Anyone find a fix?

longboat

Reaction score
Back to this topic again. I have lost 3 calls in 2 days this way. The other caller all of a sudden does not hear me anymore. I am not muted. My cheek is NOT hitting the + add/call function because my screen is still showing connected and not the Call screen with the dialing pad, which would be the case if I hit the add call function.. Hitting the back button does nothing to help.Anyone else have this happen. It is really getting to me.

:mad:

Mamaperk

Reaction score
I contacted Motorola and Verizon about this issue ... Motorola gave me a 'stock' answer that I've seen posted on the various forums... "faulty proximity sensor, please return" blah blah blah ... I don't want to keep returning my Droid ... I want to customize it and start using and loving it! One thing that really ticks me off is that I end up disconnecting calls when talking with my brother or friends who are using their iPhones ... I can't quite brag about how great this DROID is when I'm constantly hanging up on people!!! Ugh!

VZ said to go to their website, and click "contact us" and email them regarding this issue ... the more people that email with this problem, the more likely it is to be addressed.

I figured I'd mention it so that those of you having this problem had the chance to contact someone and possibly cause enough trouble that this would become a "known issue" because as of right now, it's not considered a known issue by Motorola or VZW according to the few VZW tech support folks I spoke with ...

Here is the answer I received from Moto:
"Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

Regarding your concern, we are sorry to hear about that. If the touchscreen keeps working after you close the phone you your face is because the proximity sensor might not be working properly. We recommend you to remove the battery from the phone and to perform a reset. To reset your phone to factory settings and erase all the data on your phone, touch Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset > Reset phone.
Warning: All data on your phone will be deleted.

If you still experience the same issue, Motorola stands behind our products by offering a one-year warranty issued from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover physical or liquid damage and is applicable to all the phones that were manufactured for the US market.

You may prefer to check with your carrier for insurance, replacement or exchange programs available with your plan or monthly fee. You may also send the unit directly to Motorola where our technicians will make any necessary repair to ensure a properly functioning unit. Our turnaround time at our National Service Center is 5-7 business days since we receive the unit at our facility. If the phone is determined to have suffered physical or liquid damage, it will be shipped back to you unrepaired."

Houndstooth

Reaction score
The problem is your face isn't close enough to the phone and the screen comes on. then your ear/cheek touches the "+ add call" button and mutes the current call and brings u back to the dial out screen.

You need to just press the back button to return to the call

-noelin

Had this problem today and it's definitely annoying. I love the hell out of my phone but the minor issues like this really leave me wondering what the heck motorola was thinking sometimes.

Mamaperk

Reaction score
I 'rigged' up a fix for my phone but it's certainly not perfect ...
I had previously purchased a unique skin for my Droid ... it arrived in many pieces that I had to puzzle together and put on the phone ... with a 'frame' for the front of the phone which I left off because I worried that would further interfere with the dropped call issue. So after reading other threads about people covering it during the entire phone call, I tried a temp-perm fix for that.

I cut a tiny piece of black electrical tape and covered the side of the phone where the sensor is ... then placed the unique skin frame over that so the black tape is not obvious ... now when I receive or place a call I push the power button to blacken the screen and then it stays off the entire time ... until I press it again to wake the screen again.

either that or using my bluetooth and hitting the power button to blacken the screen...

As I said, not perfect but it's working for now ... I got a voicemail from VZW that there is no fix for this in the works as of now so I'm stuck with this work-around.

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Screen Suite in the market - $1.99 works to correct this problem! I know so many people who had this issue and ended up trading in their Droid for a different phone because of this so I'm trying to spread the word to everyone ... this app works and while it's annoying as hell that we have to pay for an ap that fixes a problem Moto has basically ignored ... it has helped me and given me a chance to really enjoy my Droid now, finally.

Screen Suite | Apps Beyond

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/8141-app-lock-while-call-4.html#post366385

jenayaeger

Reaction score
Try Screen Suite App

I felt so much better after I found your thread (and a few others like it) yesterday. I really was beginning to think it was entirely ME! Anyway, the same thing has been happening to me...muting calls accidentally, pressing speaker phone accidentally, pressing dial pad (again, accidentally) when I'm on a call--and the screen is supposed to be dark/locked.

I have until Friday to decide if I'm returning this DROID. I've already received a replacement to see if that was the issue (it's not).

Anyway, I downloaded the Screen Suite App (free trial for two days or buy for just $1.99) which has a "lock phone when on call" setting, among others. This has worked almost perfectly...the fact that I had one unintentional muted call since I purchased the app (yesterday) worries me, but it has fixed the problem almost entirely. I was using the trial at the time and was still figuring out settings...I'm hoping that is the reason it didn't work PERFECTLY.

Anyone else try out the Screen Suite App yet and have any feedback or ideas? Hoping this is going to "cure" my problem so that I can keep this phone, but want to hear from others...

Thanks!

juliusmoreland

Reaction score
Motorola Droid screen turns on, mutes, hangs up, fails - during calls!

Yes, crazy, and unacceptable! Check this out:

[video=youtube;leg5JX3KYuw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg5JX3KYuw]YouTube - Motorola Droid A855 Mutes and Drops Calls![/video]

This is the replacement phone from Motorola after we tried all of the updates and master reset fixes. During a call the screen turns back on when it should stay off. All the buttons are active, so calls are muted, ended, or other buttons are pressed - all during the call! This is not acceptable. This phone should foremost work as phone for voice conversations, and secondarily as a *smart* phone for apps and services.

jwhit719

Reaction score
Same issue

Ever since I got 2.2 I have had the same problem. While on a call it goes mute and goes to my unlock screen. If I press return to call it will unmute and return to the call. I have done 4 master resets on it and am getting frustrated. Right now I have a help ticket in with Motorola so we will see what happens. They need to fix this.