Voice Dialing for bluetooth

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by DeeRoid, Nov 26, 2009.

1. DeeRoid

DeeRoid New Member

an app is available in case no one has head..in the market called voice dialer Hf..costs like 3.99...haven't tried myself but lemme know how it works..thanks
  2. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yeah something inside me just doesn't want to pay 3.99 for something that should be standard on a phone.
  3. MoeDaddy

MoeDaddy Member

Well, whether it should be standard or not is a debate you can have but since it's not standard and if you want the functionality then get the app. After all if it doesn't fit your needs you can return it within 24 hours and get your refund via the market...
  4. pastortommy

pastortommy New Member

it works great so far. I bought it today. You can use it in unison with "button shortcut" to use the camera button on the phone (long press) to activate voice dialing...then it will talk you through everything and you won't have to press buttons..) Still nto the same as using my jawbone though :-(
  5. pastortommy

pastortommy New Member

Any way to make it go from "listening" to "processing" quicker? It takes forever...if i say it twice, it goes to processing right away..this is weird...
  6. DFXmobile

DFXmobile New Member

We released a major update to Voice Dialer HF today that resolves several slow processing issues, among others. Hopefully this includes the issue pastortommy saw.

Details here.

Regards,
    DFXmobile
  7. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Yes it did, it is much faster, and certainly faster than the native crappy dialer.

Oddly enough the native voice dialer has never EVER recognized my wife's name when I use it (Jeannie), BUT Voice Dialer HF NAILS IT every single time.. EVEN when the phone is 20 feet away!!

This program is a must have for the Droid if you want Voice dialing, PLUS it responds back with voice to confirm your selection, as it should instead of waiting for another tap To pick from the long list because it didn't really understand you, or wait for a timeout on the selection like the native app.

Even with my redneck southern accent it gets it right time after time, kudos to these guys..

Motorola/Google/Verizon should write them a BIG check and make Voice Dialer HF the native app instead of the crap they used!!!
  8. Chief Wahoo

Chief Wahoo Premium Member Premium Member

Just downloaded and installed Voice Dialer HF and initial tests worked well. One question - I use Touchdown for email access and when I try to "Open Touchdown" it only finds "Touchdown Pro" which is the license site/link and it does not recognize another "Touchdown" although there is another Touchdown application on the apps page. Any suggestions on what the app might need to differentiate to find the Touchdown home?
  9. DFXmobile

DFXmobile New Member

The short answer: Please ask the Touchdown developers to list their LAUNCHER activity name and any VOICE_LAUNCH activitiy names for their app.

The long answer is posted over here.

Regards,
    DFXmobile
  10. btblue

btblue New Member

garmin nuvi and bluetooth

will voice dialer hf allow me to communicate directly with my garmin nuvi unit in the car? right now when i push the button to call someone on the nuvi it says speak now but it doesn't hear me. i'm looking for hands free dialing.
    thanks
  11. 928Droid

Also I have noticed that some apps have one name in the Market, but when installed they have another name, AND some seem to sort in the wrong place alphabeticaly which tesll me the "laucher" name may be different.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  12. boatman2220

boatman2220 New Member

I agree with the people who think that a lot of these things should be native to the phone. But since it's not. The apps aren't too expensive, so for say $50.00 you have a tricked out fully loaded phone ready to take on all comers. Upgrade to what you want, when you want. Let the developers make some money and you'll see apps coming like you've never thought of before. Any issues we have and more will soon be a thing of the past.
  13. Sweet Daddy

Sweet Daddy New Member

So far, so good. It has recognized every command that I've tried so far.
  14. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but don't you have to press the camera button to make voice activation come on?. It would be nice if we could simply press our headset device.

Maybe I'm being to picky.
  15. 928Droid

Yes it would, but until M/V/G fixes the BT Handsfree dialing this is the best we have.
  16. DFXmobile

DFXmobile New Member

Unfortunately, no Droid app can be started with the BT "voice dial" command button at this time. The OS has disabled this capability. (Specifically, this refers to the "voice recognition activation" feature that is an optional part of the Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile specification.)

You can still operate without touching the phone's screen and call through your nuvi if you make a couple compromises. First, you will press the camera button to start. Second, the phone needs to be out so it can use the speakerphone/mic to have the "which number" conversation. After that, the call will go through your nuvi.

Frankly, I realize this is not a great solution for you--with a nuvi you are unlikely to want to also dock your Droid, or even have it out. We expect Google to remedy this at some point and intend to enable BT initiation when able. (Or perhaps at the same time Google will release their own hands-free voice dialer, and users can save the $4.)

As an interesting aside, some BT devices use their own voice dialer (and do not rely on the phone). These units download your address book from the phone, do the speech recognition themselves, then use BT to send a "call this number" command to the phone. This is supported today in the Droid. It has led to some "my BT voice dial button works, why doesn't yours" confusion.
  17. pastortommy

pastortommy New Member

Hi there; I am still finding HF Voice Dialer to be inconsistent. I have to wait for long periods of time after saying "Call ____ at mobile" for example. Sometimes it is quicker (particularly if it is a PERFECTLY quiet environment.)

Will there be any way to fix this? Also, are you all looking into a way to enable your app to work via bluetooth initialization? That would be great as my jawbone would only pick up my voice, causing the app to begin the processing mode much more quickly.
    Thanks!
    Tommy
  18. 928Droid

The program was a little slow when I first installed it, but a couple of days ago there was an update and it was dramtically faster.

Go to the Market, select Menu, then downloads and see if there is an update available, you may not have the latest version.

Other than that yopu may have some other app running that is slowing down that part of the system.
  19. pastortommy

pastortommy New Member

Hi there, i am aware of the update as I have installed it. My post was referring to to the updated version of the application. It is inconsistent for me. There are times when it works as good as I would expect, but other times there is too much delay. The trends suggest that when it is in a perfectly quiet environment it works as expected; however, if there is any other noise, it takes much longer for it to "listen."
  20. DFXmobile

DFXmobile New Member

pastortommy asked about delays in VDHF. This is a great question of general interest to VDHF users, so I have created a description of the causes of delay in VDHF here.

Please also check out the troubleshooting section of the website, under "I don't think VDHF heard me right." These cover all the known issues so far except the one below.

There is one other issue. It is hard to tell sometimes how the speech recognition engine expects a name to be pronounced. Trial and error can generally lead to a consistently-understood pronunciation.

Unfortunately, the TTS (text-to-speech) system uses different rules, so you can't just copy what it says. We realize there would be value in doing additional work in this area.

Regards,
    DFXmobile
Search tags for this page
android 4 bluetooth voice dialing
bionic voice commands southern accent

blueant st3 android voice dial

bluetooth initialization samsung s3
bluetooth launch htc dna voice dailing
bluetooth voice dialer for android
bluetooth voice dialing app for galaxy s4
droid bionic voice dialing app
good andriod 4 voice dialer for bluetooth