Voice Dialer question

intolight

Reaction score
hi folks,

new to Droid world, just got my Eris (luvin it) and have a question about the voice dialer. With my old razor when i used the voice dialer it would give me a audio prompt asking me for confirmation if that was the correct contact i wanted to call and if there were 2 numbers for that contact which one i wanted to dial. With the Eris i get a screen but no voice prompt.

is there a setting to get audio prompt. Sure makes it more hands and "eyes free" for dialing on the road.

thanks
intolight

ajGoes

Reaction score
hi folks,

new to Droid world, just got my Eris (luvin it) and have a question about the voice dialer. With my old razor when i used the voice dialer it would give me a audio prompt asking me for confirmation if that was the correct contact i wanted to call and if there were 2 numbers for that contact which one i wanted to dial. With the Eris i get a screen but no voice prompt.

is there a setting to get audio prompt. Sure makes it more hands and "eyes free" for dialing on the road.

thanks
intolight

Hi,

The Droids' lack of decent voice dialing and of an up-to-date (well, up-to-1990) reminder system make me think that people who work at Google use some other phone. I sure hope both systems are brought up to normal expectations in an early update.

OTOH, Droids are really cool app platforms, and not that bad as phones & calendars.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
check out "Choice Dialer" in the market - it's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good and head and shoulders above the stock voice dialer - in my experience anyway... plus it can do more than just dial, and it can do the voice prompt, but it's an option you can toggle on/off

OP
I

intolight

Reaction score
thanks jntowers, Choice Dialer does have much better speech recognition. Still no voice confirmation prompts (at least in the free version). Would pay for an app that has it. Any?

*edit*
just checked the Choice Dialer web site and it says the piad version has verbal command confirmation. So i guess i'll spring for a few bucks

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I paid for the app right off the bat, so I don't know the difference between the paid and free versions. I'm pretty sure the voice prompt comes up when it's in "hands free" mode.

Actually... from choicedialer.com

"Hands-free Voice Dialing
Android's built-in Voice Dialer requires you to manually confirm each command. Choice Dialer allows you to set a threshold for how sure it must be before acting. If you have the paid version and set it in hands-free mode, Choice Dialer will use verbal command confirmation."

OP
I

intolight

Reaction score
looks like we went there at the same time. LOL

thanks for your help

DFXmobile

Reaction score
Voice Dialer HF is made to use hands free

intolight,

We have an app, Voice Dialer HF, that provides standard voice confirmation, speaking the proposed contacts and listening for your confirmation. If you tell it "no," it then presents the next most likely match to what you said. Our design goal was to remove any need to look at or touch the screen to dial while driving.

Full details on our website. A DROIDForums.net thread has been created for more detailed VDHF info here. Please be sure to check out our FAQ, as no voice dialer on DROID will work as you would expect with Bluetooth (yet).

Even if you choose one of our competitors, consider having a look at our troubleshooting guide. It can help you improve DROID voice recognition regardless of dialer.

We wish you the best in finding a great app that meets your needs.

Regards,

DFXmobile