Voice and Data

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Does the nexus support voice and data simultaneously like the thunderbolt?? If not why??

It does over 4g but not 3g

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you answered your own question:D

4g uses LTE and 3g uses CDMA. CDMA doesn't support simultaneous use

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And I believe the only exception is the TB. You can put your Nexus to CDMA mode and try to see if it works yourself.

OP
B

bsmith0731

Reaction score
And I believe the only exception is the TB. You can put your Nexus to CDMA mode and try to see if it works yourself.

I can confirm that yes it does work on the TB which is cdma also..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
im not sure why the TB supports it, maybe uses a different radio?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
im not sure why the TB supports it, maybe uses a different radio?

I believe its because the TB uses a separate radio for voice and a seperate radio for data. The Rezound also supports simultaneous voice and data over 3G

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

prowler85

Reaction score
Sounds like an HTC thingy. Unless of course he's testing it connected to WiFi, cuz it will definitely support voice and data on 3g while connected to WiFi. But 3g itself doesn't support simultaneous voice and data - thus all of the old AT&T commercials touting their ability to do both, which (thank goodness) we don't have to put up with any more.

OP
B

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Sounds like an HTC thingy. Unless of course he's testing it connected to WiFi, cuz it will definitely support voice and data on 3g while connected to WiFi. But 3g itself doesn't support simultaneous voice and data - thus all of the old AT&T commercials touting their ability to do both, which (thank goodness) we don't have to put up with any more.

Must be an HTC thing.

Didn't know the rezound did it as well.

wolstonc

Reaction score
I don't know about the rezound, but the tbolt supports it because it uses a variation of cdma called eHRPD or something like that, which was put on there because of pressure from the iPhone. Idk why the rezound would have it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

prowler85

Reaction score
I don't know about the rezound, but the tbolt supports it because it uses a variation of cdma called eHRPD or something like that, which was put on there because of pressure from the iPhone. Idk why the rezound would have it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Yeah, especially since it's a 4g phone which support simultaneous voice and data. Though the tbolt was the first 4g phone so it didn't make a lot of sense there either (ok, maybe a little sense as 4g builds out). And I didn't know that about the Tbolt. You'd think they would have advertised that more.