Voice Actions

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about this feature. Watch the video below, or if you want to watch it on your phone, do this. Hold down the "Search" button until the "Speak Now" window pops up. Then press "Help" and "Watch a Video". It's the same video.

[video=youtube;tPPcTN5sdX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPPcTN5sdX4[/video]

RH

chucktr

Reaction score
This does not work. My wife's name is Darlene. I said "call Darlene mobile" and got a list of 5 or more choices. I expanded her entry in my contacts to include our last name and got even more in the list. The example video is totally bogus. Could NOT use it to call anyone hands free.

Coupe

Reaction score
It's not Siri....it did not really do much of that for me either. I could send a text, but not a google talk message and that sux because I have texting disabled and depend on gtalk for everything.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
It works well for me for many things. It's not perfect but, what is.

VidJunky

Reaction score
I, like Bluesman, use it all the time, and while as he said it's not perfect it does what I ask it to. I've called about every pizza place in my town hands free just by saying call whoever on whatever street. I've even just said call whoever near my location with success. Now I have to admit it seemed work better a few months ago, so I'm not sure if there was an update or what but it still works for like my pizza places, but other people and places I've tried to call I sometimes get the same result as Chuck.

Are you all trying to compare this to the Jelly Bean vid that's floating around on YouTube? If this worked like that I'd jump up and down, right after I turned the sound off. I don't want the phone to talk back to me. Would the talking back be annoying for you as well?

Right now I'm bummed that the Sype update has about ruined it. The predictions are way off with words that aren't even likely, and to get any accuracy you have to be more accurate.

redboy49

Reaction score
I cannot get the voice actions (home screen top left next to the magnifying glass Google) to work properly. I press it, it listens and then does not do what I ask. Example: Text to Paula Hi how are you
It puts it in the message line but does nothing in the "TO" line.
The same problem happens when I try to call a contact, or send an email...etc.
I've only had the phone a week(2nd one...the first kept shutting down by itself) It says there are no new updates to software. It is Firmware version: VS93011A Android sysytem image: 4.0.4
The voice actions app doesn't show up under apps, although the icon is there on the home screen and when using the phone keypad or keyboard.
I viewed the video about using voice actions icon...but does not work for me like with the guy in the video.
What am I doing wrong?

JimiMack

Reaction score
I cannot get the voice actions (home screen top left next to the magnifying glass Google) to work properly. I press it, it listens and then does not do what I ask. Example: Text to Paula Hi how are you
It puts it in the message line but does nothing in the "TO" line.
The same problem happens when I try to call a contact, or send an email...etc.
I've only had the phone a week(2nd one...the first kept shutting down by itself) It says there are no new updates to software. It is Firmware version: VS93011A Android sysytem image: 4.0.4
The voice actions app doesn't show up under apps, although the icon is there on the home screen and when using the phone keypad or keyboard.
I viewed the video about using voice actions icon...but does not work for me like with the guy in the video.
What am I doing wrong?

You are doing nothing wrong. It is a flaw with Android, Yes I said it a Flaw with Android. Look into 3rd party apps to complete what you are looking for. I can suggest Maluuba or even Assistant. Have fun and good luck.

mordant80

Reaction score
That is strange. Just tested mine to see and it seems to be working flawlessly.

I just say "text" "name" "message" and it fills everything out. Maybe adding the word "to" between the command and name is confusing it, like it thinks "to" is part of the name and can't find a contact that starts with "to". Just a thought, seems too simple to be the problem though.

Another thought. How are your contacts stored? On the phone, sim, or Google? I have all of mine stored on my Google account.

Last edited:

JimiMack

Reaction score
Glad the hear that you are not having an issue. Being this is my only phone in years that I have to run a stock rom on, I thought that issue was common on ICS.

If i say "text Margret going to be late today" I get it all in the Message field and it skips placing the Contact name in the Contact field. My contacts are on Google as well. Yet as I mentioned if I use a 3rd party app, I do not have this issue. It is only when I use Google's Voice Search directly, which I find odd being the 3rd party apps use the same Google Voice Search as well.

Last edited:

mordant80

Reaction score
I wonder if you can clear the cache on google voice or something. There's got to be a way to get it working for you since it's not affecting all of us, yet we're obviously on the same stock rom. Im rooted though i don't see that that would make a difference.

See if you can get a logcat, maybe we can figure out what's going on.

Zrunky

Reaction score
This happens to me as well. If I say "Text to Paula How's it going?" I get this:

to:

Or if I say "Text Paula How's it going" (leaving out the "to"), I get:

to:

JimiMack

Reaction score
Yet do you have the same issue if you use a 3rd party assistant? I get this issue only when I use the built in Voice Search directly, if I use another program I do not, even if that program uses Voice Search it's self.

Zrunky

Reaction score
No, I tried both of those third-party voice command programs and found them to be bloated and unimpressive. But they can at least read my contact list and more or less get it right each time. Maluuba is annoying though because if a contact has multiple numbers it forces you to select which one to text to each time. It can't remember a default one or understand that if a person has a "mobile" number and a "home" number I'm probably going to be texting to the "mobile" one.

Google voice command has excellent voice-to-word recognition, I'll give Google that. The program that implements it on Android is just a bit glitchy, unfortunately.

mordant80

Reaction score
Any of you attempted to get Google now going? I think it replaces the voice search app. I tried but didn't have any luck. Would love to get it working.