Vlingo for Android Devices!

OP
D

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't realize they mapped it to the Search soft key. I was actually thinking that would be a great idea, seeing the Blackberry versions are activated with a physical button. Looks like Vlingo beat me to the punch! ;)

If they made it so it would search your phone contents too (like, find an app or something), I could probably set it to default on my search key to replace Google's.

There is a feature where you can hit it and say "launch... app name" and it launches that app :) not sure if thats what you meant or not but they do have that.

rjax

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't realize they mapped it to the Search soft key. I was actually thinking that would be a great idea, seeing the Blackberry versions are activated with a physical button. Looks like Vlingo beat me to the punch! ;)

If they made it so it would search your phone contents too (like, find an app or something), I could probably set it to default on my search key to replace Google's.

Try saying "Open Music" for instance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The thing that's preventing me from making it default is that "Navigate to" doesn't automatically open Navigation.

OP
D

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

The thing that's preventing me from making it default is that "Navigate to" doesn't automatically open Navigation.

You can say "find ... location name" and it will open up maps and find it, from there you can just navigate that way for now as a temp work around, how often do you text/write emails and how often do you navigate? thats how i think about it. most places i drive i know where im going, however when im driving i dont want to have to try to look at keys to make sure google gets all the words i say

DroidxRage

Reaction score
right, I'm very familiar with the app and commands... I am a longtime user.

Hmmm, for some reason I thought if I searched for say, "TasKiller" using google voice, it would bring up "TasKiller" in a list... guess it doesn't. Maybe I was combining search and gestures in my head?!?! lol

And yeah, the OPEN command only works with a handful of apps, although it is pretty handy.

rjax

Reaction score

You can say "find ... location name" and it will open up maps and find it, from there you can just navigate that way for now as a temp work around, how often do you text/write emails and how often do you navigate? thats how i think about it. most places i drive i know where im going, however when im driving i dont want to have to try to look at keys to make sure google gets all the words i say

The problem with the find command is twofold. One problem (that Vlingo has no control over) is that the Maps app occasionally dumps my Labs preferences, so I don't always have the convenient Nav bubble popup on the results screen.

The second problem is that with the find command, if it doesn't get it right, it's a huge pain to fix it. For instance, with Google Voice Search, if I say "Navigate to Best Buy" I get a list of choices, I choose one, and it goes straight to Nav. With Vlingo, it it pops up a map with a bunch of push pins, with only one of the push pins clearly identified. If the clearly-identified push pin isn't the Best Buy I'm looking for, it can be hard to get to the right Best Buy.

I think it would make sense to keep it so "Find" takes you to maps, and add a "Navigate" option that would simulate Google's Voice Search.

What I've done for now is set Vlingo to my search key long press and Google Voice Search to my camera button using the Button Shortcut app, which works well enough. But it would be nice to free up the camera button again. I've also thought about keeping it so the long-press search key presents me with the option of Vlingo or Voice Search every time, but I'm not crazy about that solution, either.

Neko

Reaction score
Posted this in the app announcement section but dont know how many people are really looking there for apps so figured i'd post it here too...

Below is an email i got for the beta for Vlingo if anyone wants to check it out. So far its amazing, recognizes every word i say no matter how fast :)

"Thank you again for participating in the Vlingo for Android beta app. We are excited to have you start using the application and look forward to hearing your impressions of Vlingo for Android.

Please use the instructions below to install Vlingo for Android. As part of your participation, we ask that you fill out a short follow-up questionnaire to help us better improve the app. We will email you a link to this survey in about 2 weeks. We expect the beta period to last from 2 to 3 months.

Installing Vlingo for Android

1. Check the Unknown Sources item in Settings > Applications
This is required since Vlingo is not yet in the Android Market

2. Open the Browser and browse to http://vlingo.com/androidbeta
3. When the file is finished downloading click on it and then click the Install button
4. Click the Open button when you see the Application Installed message

Add Vlingo to your Home Screen
1. Press and hold in an empty space on your home screen
2. Click Widgets (or sometimes it will be called Android Widgets)

3. Scroll down and click Vlingo

Add Vlingo to your keyboard
Speak anywhere you can type
1. Open Settings > Language & Keyboard
2. Check Vlingo Keyboard

3. Press and hold in any text box on your phone and click Input Method
4. Click on Vlingo Keyboard

5. You can now press the microphone icon () to speak to any text box.

Known Issues
Vlingo requires Android version 2.0 or higher to work
While Vlingo should work on most Android 2.0+ devices, Vlingo has only been fully tested on the Google Nexus One and the Verizon Droid
Please report any repeated mis-recognitions by submitting a ticket at http://vlingo.com/support on your PC

Support & Help

Clicking on the Info button on the Vlingo home screen will provide you with more information on how to use the application.

If you run into trouble, you are encouraged to file a support issue by browsing to http://vlingo.com/support on your PC. Vlingo will not be offering full support during the Beta period, so while you may not hear back from us on all issues, we will be listening and we really appreciate your participation in this beta.

Thank you again for your help and we look forward to hearing from you as you test the Vlingo for Android beta app.

Talk soon,
The Vlingo Team"

You left out in your posting that they also mentioned NOT to give out the link to anyone. I got the same email.

acturbo

Reaction score
You left out in your posting that they also mentioned NOT to give out the link to anyone. I got the same email.[/SIZE]

My bad :icon_eek: oh well everyone seems to enjoy it. Sorry if it bothers you Neko. Just sharing the wealth.

Is anyone having issues with Vlingo? It worked perfectly for me yesterday and a little this morning, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and now whenever I hit the button it just says "name too short" and wont even let me speak. Anyone having issues or is it just me?

Reaction score
yeah sadly this is a closed beta, i was lucky enough to be apart of it but didnt want to share it due to it being a closed beta.
on the bright side its more testers for them :)

cmvlingo

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Chris from Vlingo here. Glad to hear all the feedback, good and bad! We intentionally didn't put any protection on the download link because we figured some people may share the link, and we didn't want to limit people that were excited to try the app - So no worries there.

Few comments:
  • Navigate to - We are planning on adding this, great idea
  • Open apps - We are working to expand the list and support 3rd party apps, just haven't gotten to it yet
  • Widget sizes - Got a lot of feedback on this so we are going to add one or two more smaller widget sizes
  • Swype - We love Swype too, and we are looking into ways for making Swype and Vlingo work together better

I'm always interested in hearing other comments, suggestions, and feedback...

Another_Dude

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Chris from Vlingo here. Glad to hear all the feedback, good and bad! We intentionally didn't put any protection on the download link because we figured some people may share the link, and we didn't want to limit people that were excited to try the app - So no worries there.

Few comments:
  • Open apps - We are working to expand the list and support 3rd party apps, just haven't gotten to it yet
  • Widget sizes - Got a lot of feedback on this so we are going to add one or two more smaller widget sizes
  • Swype - We love Swype too, and we are looking into ways for making Swype and Vlingo work together better

Great to have you in here Chris, I am a huge fan of your program and it is the first thing I show off to people on my Droid. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you guys can do with Vlingo.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Chris from Vlingo here. Glad to hear all the feedback, good and bad!

:) Thanks for jumping into this thread

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::heart::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

:happy:

rjax

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Chris from Vlingo here. ....

Chris, now that I know someone's listening, here are a couple more suggestions:

For Maps/Navigation stuff, one way you could outdo the stock Voice Search would be to integrate the searching with contact information, direction shortcuts, and/or starred location names. For instance, if I make a contact/direction shortcut/starred location called "Home" I would like to be able to simply say Find/Navigate Home. But that doesn't work currently.

It would also be nice if, when you start the Vlingo audio input, music is paused like it is for the stock Voice Search so that Vlingo can hear you more clearly.

And here's a pie-in-the-sky request -- make Vlingo capable of monitoring all audio input, and activate the Vlingo Voice Search when it recognizes the magic words (perhaps if it hears someone say "Vlingo Vlingo"). Then you could advertise a truly handsfree way to call someone -- which would be huge in the current Android market.

OP
D

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
And here's a pie-in-the-sky request -- make Vlingo capable of monitoring all audio input, and activate the Vlingo Voice Search when it recognizes the magic words (perhaps if it hears someone say "Vlingo Vlingo"). Then you could advertise a truly handsfree way to call someone -- which would be huge in the current Android market.

So you want your droid to literally be a robot? that would be an awesome feature though have to say "vlingo vlingo droid call ...." and give it commands kind of like the "say a command" button but with voice would be super hott even though vlingo alone right now is perfect for what i use it for :)

oim415

Reaction score

Few comments:

Hello Everyone, New to the forum and also to Android. I just dumped my BB 8830 for the Incredible and I absolutely love it. Except for the missing hands free dialing from my blue tooth headset....until I installed Vlingo. Now having programmed my search button to initiate Vlingo, I almost have hands free dialing.

Is there a way that I can make Vlingo the default app when I press the call button on my BT?